Thread: extreme carb sensitivity... page

primal-belle is offline Junior Member

extreme carb sensitivity...

Primal Fuel
    As I have mention in past post, I reversed my type II diabetes 5 years ago using The Zone Diet. It seems my body is overly sensitive to carbs and doesn't metabolism them well at all. I have been eating less than 50g the last few days and my weight fluctuations have stopped. When I eat 50-70g a day I see a 1-2lbs swing in my morning weights. Since dropping down to 30-40g a day every morning I wake up in the 130 range (130.8, 130.4, 130.2 etc) anyway you get the point. Of course less than 50g of carbs is not recommended for an extended period of time so I am not sure what to do. Has anyone else had this experience? Next week my plan is to add about 5-10g of carbs a day until I find the right balance, slowly tweaking the process. I would like to stabilize after I lose 5-7 more pounds and have an exact target range for my carb intake. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

shannon is offline Senior Member
    carbs are NOT necessary. The eskimos and the masai tribe from africa are two of the healthiest groups consuming a heavy meat and fat diet. you will be fine with less than 50g per day. congrats on turning around the diabetes:-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal belle, what are you doing for exercise? If you begin weight lifting to build more muscle mass, it may be easier for your metobolism to tolerate carbohydrates (to some extent anyway).

Thanks Shannon!

CanaryGirl, I have been walking/hiking a few days a week and sprinting once a week. The last two weekends I have be scuba diving and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I start Crossfit in September, I am super stoke!
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    "Of course less than 50g of carbs is not recommended for an extended period of time so I am not sure what to do."

Who said this?

I echo shannons thoughts here, there is nothing wrong with going VLC, even zero carb for a time isn't bad.

mark says not to do vlc for too long, personally i don't agree. as you can see there are people in the world thriving while following a vlc diet;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

I have read on the MDA website and in the book that VLC is not recommended for a long time. Being the in the state of ketosis long term is not healthy and can create a pH imbalance in the body. It suppresses appetite (which doesn't sound bad) but over time slow the metabolism. I think the 50-75g range would be great even if I can only maintain and stabilize my weight in the 50-60g range. I have a friend and her upper limit is 75-80g a day. I love meats and eat only local, organic, grass-fed meats (only the top quality good stuff) but I enjoy my fruits and veggies too. Being a Libra I am always striving for the perfect balance!
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

just do what feels good for YOU. don't worry about who says what when it comes to the numbers. ketosis is NOT something to fear. our body actually prefers to run on ketones. you will hear a lot of disagreement on the subject;-( i'm sure you will find your balance;-)