Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Days of Summer Journal (Jenella's August Go Around) page

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Dog Days of Summer Journal (Jenella's August Go Around)

Today's the last day of July. I've made a decent attempt at eating PB for the month and had prob a 75% success rate.

Lost weight? No. Lost fat? No. Feel better? Sure, in subtle ways.

A couple things I notice is that a) I include alcohol more than I should. It's not an everyday thing but it's more prevalent than it should be considering the challenges in front of me. Part of that is that I'm in a pool hall twice a week for my league play and I have a core group of friends who spend too much time in pubs. And b) I don't move enough.

So, with that. My three goals for August are:
    1) Move more. Walk the dogs, sprint with them. Hook Allie aka The OCD One up and go for a bike ride. Lift those weights that I recently purchased in ways that'll benefit me, other than moving them from one side of the garage to the other. P90x. Spend more time outside
    2) Lay off the booze. It's either water or wine. And the wine carried in pool halls really isn't the kind I want to drink. I'm not saying no to my dark, chewy wonderful heavy beers but they'll be a treat. Instead of spending cash on the happy hr beers, may hold out for 1 really good flavored beer.
    3) Keep my calories, on average, around 1400 - 1500 per day with my fat around 40%, protein around 50% and my carbs under 10%. Averaged over a week. That's gonna be tough as I really don't want to go back to eating chicken and turkey. I have to find some way to accurately measure grass fed beef for fat content. And, I'll make my own half and half with my HWC simply by cutting it with water. Not gonna have the same taste but, I get a lot of fats from my creamer.

So that's it. Staring in the AM, August 1st, those are my 3 goals...that'll need to be met.

Encouragement is welcomed. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions as well. Thrashings when I cave and eat 3200 calories and over 150grms of carbs in a day are needed as well.

Allie's on top and Mike's the black fuzzy one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrherring; 07-31-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Jenella,

Beer is my 20%, also. In fact, last night I had three, count 'em, THREE really good German Pilseners with my companion, and it was totally worth it
    That being said...it definitely doesn't work to do that every day ;-)

I really like your idea of saving up for the good stuff. I have tried Michelob Ultra a couple of times, and it just annoys me... maybe this is something we can brainstorm together?

Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    ... maybe this is something we can brainstorm together?
    i am always up for brainstorming. when i went to dinner with my friends last night, i debated what i could drink. Negro Modelo came to mind as it's a full figured Mexican beer...to compliment my flat iron steak cooked rare(!) and sides. So that's what I had. And I had 1.

I can't stand most domestic beers. When it's softball time, I might can do a modelo especial, but that's about it. No bud lite, no miller lite, no michelob ultra. Those are not beers, IMO.

I think what may work for me is to just stop and think about what I want. Pool Hall Waitress 1 knows I'll drink a High Life when I'm broke as that's cheap beer. (Oddly enough, it has more flavor than it's sibling beers...?) I just have to say no and when I'm out, have a good beer. I think a part of that is maybe keeping quality beer inhouse as well. I just finished my last German Pilsner as well and it was soo good! Sort of build my taste buds up so that cheap beer truly is horrible again.

Secondly for me...it's being aware. I like the taste of beer. Good, full figured, chewy beers. But, I also am a fast drinker/eater. Always got to get moving to the next thing, whatever that may be.

So, being aware and making the conscious step of ordering something I REALLY want...not just what I can afford. If I can swing 3 - 4 cheap beers, I can definitely swing 1 really good beer.

Brainstorming...not so easy via typing. lol.

What are your thoughts?

Now, I'm off to go fishing, as I didn't get to go Friday.

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Jenella,

It's getting a little easier for me, as my friends are starting to actually accept that I am indeed only going to have one (it's taken a year).
    I actually have a six-pack of Spaten Pils in my fridge right now, in case my gentleman friend can come by later---it's his favorite, and it's become mine, as well. I'm just thinking of it as, "his" beer...and so far I haven't been tempted to poach.

Yesterday, I made a big pot of iced tea to head off the temptation for a beer after my yard work. Just knowing it was waiting for me in he fridge made all the difference in the world....

Hey, happy fishing <3

Sunday, August 1

Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot (g)
    1,434 74.9 19.8 162.2

PB Laws:
    1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants:
    B: 2 eggs fried in bacon grease, 1.5 strips bacon
    L: Really BAS with turkey and the remainder of my proscuitto
    D: grass fed ribeye and spare ribs, both grilled
    2. Move around a lot at a slow pace: 1hr + walk with the dogs, 2.71 miles
    3. Lift heavy things: not today
    4. Run really fast every once in a while: no
    5. Get lots of sleep: 6.5 hrs of better sleep, interrupted by frisky young feline. 20 min nap watching the yankees get beat by the 'rays
    6. Play: no
    7. Get some sunlight every day: I am on 5k Vit D & was outside for 1 hrs
    8. Avoid trauma: check
    9. Avoid poisonous things: good enough
    10. Use your mind: it's a sunday, so only thoughts of pool.

Comments

Well, I did it. I kept my carbs low and my fat lower than my protein. I don't think I've done that since I've started PB. After ready batty's post, I got my reminder that fat is supposed to be an addition, not a mainstay. Esp if trying to lose weight. So, though I failed today at getting my fat lower, I'll make a more focused attempt the upcoming week.

There's a couple things I'll have to change, reduce, think about but, once again, there's a renewed sense of meaning here. New Challenge feelings, prob. Will they last the month? I hope so!

Kuno, I think the iced tea thing may have to be something I do. The challenge is I grew up on strong, sweet tea. The kind you could float a boat in! So, since I've cut sugar out, tea isn't on my list. But, after your suggestion, I found some chai in the cabinet and made some strong tea of it. Just add ice. And maybe a tspn of cream. lol. I just bought a new carton of HWC so I HAVE to use it!

I'm posting this today because of 2 reasons, I'm hoping it'll help me not cave to eating out and I'm also not sure what kind of time i'll have tomorrow. It's Monday and I'm sure to be swamped at work.

Hope ya'll enjoyed your Sunday!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    Just stopping by to say HI and I like your new journal's title.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Is that first doggie part border collie? She looks exactly like my dog except lighter toned! They are both adorable!
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    Is that first doggie part border collie? She looks exactly like my dog except lighter toned! They are both adorable!
    Thanks!

They both are BC and X mix

Allie is BC and GS. Best we can tell. Her mom is a red/white BC and dad a neighborhood shepherd something or the other

Mikey...he's supposed to be BC/lab.. Based on what we were told. His brother, Riley, is in the background of the pic of Allie. We had them for just over 11 months. But the dominance issues became too much for me in January. And since Mike was the one we originally went to get, Riley found a new home. Where he seems very happy. I prob won't make that mistake again of getting littermates. Right or wrong...it was too much for me.

They are wonderful spoiled dogs.

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Love the dogs. I love having two dogs--they enjoy each others company in a way I can't fulfill. But I find that sometimes it's like 1/2 a dog too many!

Beer. I am not a regular beer drinker. But if I were choosing to order one and only one, for taste, I'd get a black and tan.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK. I'm hungry.
    Got 90 mins before I can go home & eat.
    I ate b-fast this AM...granted, at 4am. Then ate my BAS...around 9:30.
    I'm hungry.
    bah!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast