Thread: IF for weightloss page

Lodini is offline Senior Member

IF for weightloss

Primal Fuel
    I'm sure there are numerous post detailing IF, but it's really hard to search a term as common as "if"

Anyway - my questions are...

1. Can you workout during an IF? If I am doing dinner to dinner, can I workout in the morning or should I wait until just before dinner so I can still have a PWO meal?

2. What is the technical purpose of IFing? Is it to keep the body guessing? Jumpstart something? Eat less calories that particular day?

Thanks in advance!
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    Thanks for the link! I read through, but I might be a bit slow... Still not so sure of the answers to my questions... anyone have a link in more laymen's terms?

Screw "moderation"!!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodini View Post
    1. Can you workout during an IF? If I am doing dinner to dinner, can I workout in the morning or should I wait until just before dinner so I can still have a PWO meal?
    Sure. You can workout whenever you want. Let your body be your guide. Some feel very strong deep into fasts. Others don't. I like heading out on long slow walks deep into my fast. I prefer lifting or hiit around the 12 hour mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodini View Post
    2. What is the technical purpose of IFing? Is it to keep the body guessing? Jumpstart something? Eat less calories that particular day?
    All of the above. IFing gives your body more time to burn body fat after dietary fuel is spent. IFing can entrain ghrelin signaling making you hungry less often and controling appetite. IFing can increase leptin sensitivity causing you to feel full on lower amounts of food. And more.

Grol - thank you so much! That makes sense and makes me feel better about what I just did... that is, just came off a 19 hour fast and feeling very good! I ate a half a chicken and am pleasantly full right now... don't think I will come close to my calorie goal for the day, so I just wanted to make sure that's ok as long as it's not all the time. thanks!!

Screw "moderation"!!

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Hey Lodini!

I just read your last reply and remembered something from the book: Mark recommends you look at your calorie intake on more of a weekly basis rather than a daily basis for that very reason. If you're a little bit under some days and a little bit over other days, at the end of the week (or generalized period of time) if it all all averages out then you're a-okay.

I remember one specific example where Mark outlined his own schedule for a couple of days while he was on the road... One day he ate like 700-something calories, and the next day he ate a couple thousand. His point being that as long as you stick to your primal macronutrient percentages, it all comes out in the wash.

Very good to know, Cosima! That helps me a lot because I planned a whole day's worth of food for this small 7 hour window and the way I am feeling right now I will never make it! LOL Thanks so much

Screw "moderation"!!

sorry I couldnt answer your questions better, i was on my way out the door!

Grol's advice is solid as always

I would also add that I find it easiest to never go to bed on an empty stomach, and arrange it so that the beginning half of the fast is always when youre asleep, that way the latter half of the fast can be spent during the daylight hours, when youre usually being more active, and thus burning more fat. I am just very against going to bed on an empty stomach, it always stresses me out! A lot of people agree that 16 hours is a good base time to start with. Anything 12 hours or longer is good though, and worthwhile. 18-20 hours seems to be my max, especially if Im working out and lifting during the week.

The best advice I can give and the key to succesful IF:

MAKE SURE you are not undereating during your feeding windows!!!! This is the quickest way to stres your body out, as the fast is technically a stress in itself, so make sure you are hitting your protein goals most importantly......you need to make sure and do this so that you will be primarily burning FAT not LEAN MASS during your fasts. I tend to agree with Robb Wolf and Lyle McDonald's recommendations of consuming 1.5 grams of protein, rather than 1 gram, per lb of LBM, during periods of extended caloric deficit OR intermittant fasting to prevent lean mass losses and increase body fat oxidation.

Make sure you are supplementing correctly!!!! If you do not have your supplementing and nutrition dialed in, you have no business experiementing with IF. Make sure you are getting enough potassium, magnesium, taking your fish oil, vitamin D, womens multi-vitamin and digestive enzymes or some sort of probiotics to help with digestion during your feeding window. Because the fasting will improve your leptin sensitivity (fasting tends to improve this in females even more, I was reading on the Eades's blog), you will find you are going to be full and reach satiety sooner than expected sometimes, and a modest caloric deficit might happen naturally over the course of your week, and while this is part of how IF weightloss occurs, you will need to make sure you are still getting proper nutrition for your body.

Also, regarding the "purpose" of IF:

There are lots of studies on rats, some on of them the Eades talk about on their blog (I searched for the articles but too lazy and kind of in a rush right now) about how IF and CR (caloric restriction) are extending the lives of rats by as much as 60%!!! (in the case of significant CR) IF seems to have lots of anti-aging and anti-cancer benefits, as well as they think that the amount of cellular repair that goes on during the IF could result an extended life span. It makes sense, and is a very exciting reason to experiment with IF!

Thanks, lmyers! I am supplementing per doctor's orders with most of what you mentioned. And I will pay attention to all the other things you mentioned... the half a chicken I ate earlier did a lot for my protein goals today! Thanks for coming back and taking the time to write all that out. I really appreciate it!!

Screw "moderation"!!

Hell yea! Chicken is yummmmm