Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love love love the farmer's market! page

jendoe is offline Senior Member

Love love love the farmer's market!

Primal Fuel
    I know most people here have figured this out already... but I just went out to the farmer's market today, for the first time...

It was awesome!

I even found eggs (!) - the real kind where the chickens get to go outside and eat bugs (Though I couldn't remember the proper terminology, so that's how I referred to them - as in, "Excuse me, Mr. Farmer - I see you have eggs. Are these the kind where the chickens get to go outside and eat bugs?" hehe)

Anyway, I got a dozen eggs for $4 (I usually have to spend about $3.50 at Whole Foods for just 6 "good" eggs, and I'm sure they're not quite as good as these!)... I also picked up a tomato, a pint of cherry tomatoes, 2 very cool looking cucumbers with no wax or crappy bug spray so I can actually eat the skins, a green pepper, a zuchinni, and a handful of red okra that you can put in salads.

And it was only about $15 total (that includes the $4 for eggs).

It's starting out to be a really good weekend!

Edit: Oh, and blueberries - I forgot, I got a pint of really yummy blueberries too! The goodness just doesn't end It was definitely worth getting up early on Saturday for!
    Last edited by jendoe; 07-31-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Forgot the blueberries...

annie is offline Senior Member
    I'm headed to the farmer's market today...can't wait to see what I find!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    *grin*

I made my way to my first farmers' market last week. Discovered my new 'impulse buying' habits include chickens with giblets, unpasteurised cheddar, and a sage plant the size of a small tree. Came home with sage and chard sticking out of the bike paniers, looking like the Day of the Triffids on wheels.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    *grin*

I made my way to my first farmers' market last week. Discovered my new 'impulse buying' habits include chickens with giblets, unpasteurised cheddar, and a sage plant the size of a small tree. Came home with sage and chard sticking out of the bike paniers, looking like the Day of the Triffids on wheels.
    At least once in my life, I must live somewhere I can bike to the market and ride home with greens sticking out of the basket

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Nice finds. I just got home with tomatoes, kale, cucumbers, zucchini (going to try zucchetti), beets, 2 flats of eggs, and the find of the day...chanterelle mushrooms just picked in the forest yesterday. So looking forward to dinner tonight!!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    At least once in my life, I must live somewhere I can bike to the market and ride home with greens sticking out of the basket
    Definitely recommended. (Though paniers add to the eccentricity quotient.)

My ambition's simpler - to get fit enough that there's a market within cycling distance more often than once a month!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    There's a farmer's market within walking distance of my house Saturday mornings ... I walk my greyhound there. (Farmers' markets almost every day of the week somewhere in my Iowa community.) We don't have super-exciting artisanal stuff here -- but both my dog and I are very friendly with the guy who sells grass-fed buffalo. Today I got cucumbers, zucchini, heirloom tomatoes, cabbage, and garlic ... probably should have stocked up on some more eggs but I can get them during the week.

jendoe is offline Senior Member
    Wow - some fancy finds (chanterelle mushroom - neat!)

I had some veggies at lunch, and the cucumbers were unbelievable! I usually cut off the peels (from the grocery store, because of the wax) - so having organic, non-waxed, really fresh cucumbers was such a treat - they tasted almost like a completely different vegetable. Really crunchy and crisp too!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    All of my veggies come from my CSA, I don't eat much fruit, and farmer's market prices on meat and eggs are ridiculous, so I don't usually go. But I had guests in town so I took them today.

...and I got a big, frozen, organic, pasture-raised duck! =] $29 for a 4.4lb duck. Can't wait to cook it.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

laquat is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my college town, madison, wi... has the best farmers market. there are even 3 or 4 vendors of grass fed beef! primal goodness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast