Thread: Ctl + Alt + Delete page

aaprotta is offline Junior Member

Ctl + Alt + Delete

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello, to whomever. Welcome to my attempt at a life re-boot.

A disclaimer - this whole blog/online journal idea is a bit weird to me. I am a fairly introverted person and tend to keep to myself, so the idea of broadcasting anything personal makes me a bit uncomfortable. However the relative anonymity afforded here is somewhat comforting. haha. So here I am, starting this journal in the hope that if I post here relatively frequently, the idea that there are others privy to my "progress" might help keep me motivated and on track.

A brief background:

I am female, in my mid-twenties, a former competitive runner (haven't really competed in about 2 years) who is still fairly active. I just finished my undergrad in kinesiology, so have a fairly solid educational foundation in exercise science and nutrition (albeit one tainted by CW. haha). I love cooking, and I love good food - traditional commercial slurry has never been a huge part of my diet. I have been following MDA for about 1.5 years now, and have become convinced that the PB is the best model for a healthy lifestyle that there is. If only I could make the switch...

I have gained a significant amount of weight since I stopped competing (30-40 pounds or so, although I am not 100% certain). I have been attempting to adopt the PB lifestyle for about 7 or 8 months now, and some positive changes have been made, but for the most part I have not been successful. I think one of the biggest problems is that I have been letting "perfection be the enemy of the good" as Mark has said so many times. Every time I fall off the bandwagon I tend to fall hard. I also have some issues with emotional/disordered eating (primarily in the form of binge eating...no purging), which have of course served to fuel the weight gain. I am sure the disordered eating is part of some underlying emotional issues, and I don't expect the PB to address these, nor do I expect to address them here.

Wah wah, woe is me. haha. Not so brief. Sorry. Anyway, I have decided that I need to make a serious commitment to getting myself back on track. I desire to get back to a weight where I feel comfortable with myself (likely heavier that when I was running 100km a week at my competitive peak, but I have no desire to return to those days!). In addition, I have some skin problems that various dermatologists have been able to do nothing about, so I am curious to see if any changes occur with the PB. But more than anything, I desperately want to feel happy and healthy - fit without having training be my life, and able to enjoy food without it occupying my thoughts. I love life, but I am scared that the way I am living right now is sabotaging my chance of "living long and prospering" as it were. I have had enough, enough enough. 30 day challenge, here I come. Plan of attack: do my very best, but go easy on myself should things not go quite as planned. I will hear Mark in my head: "...don't let perfection be the enemy of the good...". Stay tuned if you feel so inclined - I could use some moral support Day one is tomorrow...

Pristinexine is offline Junior Member
    I wish you the absolute best of luck! =D

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm starting primal too in hopes of halting disordered eating. The perfectionism is so hard to get rid of, isn't it? =sigh= I've found a compromise works best for me. I can strive for perfection and still be anal-retentive about things, but I cannot let myself get angry if I fail. =)

Good luck again--I'm looking forward to seeing how you do! =D

Baxtherin is offline Member
    Good luck! I've got my fingers crossed for you! Anyone that starts a thread/journal with Ctl + Alt + Delete is pretty okay in my book. And of course the Star Trek reference. I'm sure you'll do great with your 30 day challenge!
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Fortune cookie that changed my life

So, day two down. Man, I just don't know when I have not yet been able to fully commit to this yet, because every time I cut grains/sugars out for even a short period of time (e.g. two days so far!), I feel soooo much better! Anyway, so far, so good. Well, almost. I was out and about walking this evening with my family, and we stopped at our favourite ice cream place. Seriously, the best soft serve ever. I gave in to the temptation...but it was only a small one, and it was without the cone. haha. Anyway, 80% rule right? But I do have to be careful, because the slope can be well slippery.

So yes. Feeling better already, but I know that the hardest days are coming up - previously I have found that I struggle the most with temptation around day five or six (low carb flu perhaps...). But it is so easy right now to find amazing seasonal goodies, and when it is warm I find my appetite is less, so I have that in my favour.

Anyway, that's all for now. Cheers!

PS - thanks for the kind words

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    You can do it!!!

I know how binging plus a perfectionist streak can destroy the best of intentions! My arsenal of weapons include:

1.) not having it around. If the only things I can binge on are bacon, cream, veggies and berries, well... my binge isn't going very far! lol
    2.) fighting really hard against the "well I screwed up so the day/week/month is a loss. Eat a wonderful primal meal next meal and forget what happened earlier. Consider the next meal reset and move forward.
    3.) be prepared. Always have primal food choices ready and available.
    4.) be gentle with yourself.

(I'm still working on this, we can cheer eachother on!!! )

I was thinking, if any "progress" is going to be observed, I best record some sort of starting point, yes?

So, me at this point:

5'10"
    177 lbs (or so says my mildly reliable bathroom scale that I have been religiously ignoring)

When I was my most "fit" competition wise about 2.5 years ago, I weighed around 145 lbs. Hmmm. Anyway, I have decided that I would like to get down to somewhere around 155 lbs...a fairly healthy and comfortable weight for me. Currently I have a BMI of 25.4, which is technically overweight, although I would struggle to call myself so. Yes, I have gained a lot of weight, but I was pretty lean when I was competing, and I am just a big person in general. Let's just say I am not a waif, nor have I ever been. haha. I should have been a rower perhaps

But again, it is not all about the weight. While I would love to be happy with how much I weigh, I am mostly concerned with feeling good, stabilizing my mood, and just being healthy in general. So we'll see how it goes!

For this "30 day challenge", or at least part of it, I have decided to use FitDay just so I have some idea of where I am at nutrient/calorie wise. I have no intention of continuing doing this for more than a week or two, as I should be able to get a pretty good idea of where I am at after only a few days, and will be able to gauge my intake from there.

Today, without even trying to hard to reach "optimal" macronutrient ratios, I managed to eat 50% of my 1739 calories from fat (all the good stuff of course!), which I was pretty happy with.

The day went as follows:

Breakfast - banana and blueberry smoothie made with almond milk and hemp protein
    Snack - 1/4 cup of almonds
    Lunch - braised kale with ginger miso shrimp, half an apple
    Dinner - BAS with crumbled feta (I don't eat that much dairy, and eventually I would like to cut it out completely, but I love cheese to much at this point. haha. We'll see...one step at a time! I will focus on the grains and sugar first...)
    "Dessert" - apple, a couple squares of 70% cocoa chocolate (how glad am I that it is a "sensible vice"! Because man, it is a vice. haha)

I was satisfied after every meal, so was expecting to have eaten more calories, but apparently not!

Also moved slowly lots - biked to and from work (45 - 50 min round trip), and spent about 30 min in the gym doing some primal strength (overhead squats, pushups, pull ups, some swiss ball exercises...). Anyway, good day all in all. Still feeling good and managing to fight the cravings, even though I work at a restaurant/tea house that makes the best scones ever...I resisted the fresh batch of blueberry scones today! haha.

Ok, that's quite enough for today! More later of course. Cheers!

Missed a post yesterday, but no matter, here I am today! Yesterday was great...no major cravings, good macronutrient intake/calorie balance, lots of low level activity. Also, down to 175lbs already! Off to a good start, but of course I do not expect to have this kind of weight loss for an extended period of time...it is motivating though

I was feeling adventurous yesterday, so bought a rabbit and marinaded it so I could cook it today. That was most definitely a test of my primal/carnivorous side...cutting the poor thing up was a bit of a challenge for the animal loving side of me. haha. But man was it delicious - I stewed it this morning, and had some of the leaner cuts on a BAS for lunch. mmmm. I have never had rabbit before, so was pleasantly surprised.

I ran into some major craving issues this evening while at work...did my best to fend them off, and did manage to avoid any grains/sugars, but was so desperate for something sweet I had a diet coke. Hmmm...definitely not a "sensible vice". But it was there (at work...free and ubiquitous. Not a good combination. haha). Anyway, I am still feeling pretty good for avoiding the cakes and scones at work, despite the out of the blue desperate "need" for them this afternoon. I am always amazed how I can go from not wanting them at all, to all of a sudden hardly being able to stop myself. I am aware that having a diet coke is going to to nothing for me in the way of helping me kick my sweet tooth, so I will try and do better the next time around. haha. Must be better prepared for these types of things in the future. Good timing for Mark's primal snack post today

Anyway, day off tomorrow, and going on a biking/hiking trip, so lots of low-level aerobic activity in the works there. Planning a primal lunch at the moment..probably just some hard boiled eggs and some veggies, as well as some trail mix...easy to pack. So yes! Doing alright, but the cravings are creeping up on me...the next few days will be hard I think. But I am going to stick to my guns!

Later team.
    Last edited by aaprotta; 08-04-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Well, after a few day hiatus, I'm back. I mostly just haven't been by my computer, as I have been out in the wilderness (kind of) doing some fabulous hiking and biking and other fun things. The "challenge" thus far has been going quite excellently...I have been keeping my calories within a reasonable range, hitting about 50% fat regularly, and meeting my protein requirements most days. I haven't even been super anal about making sure I hit the proper ratios etc, it has just been happening naturally while eating "primally". Ever so convenient! I haven't dropped any more weight this week, but I am not too bothered...I feel great and that is what matters at this point. I expect if I keep on the path, more will drop as time goes.

Unfortunately, today was a big derailment. I have no idea why, because I have been feeling great, not really craving grains/sugars etc, and doing well all round. But for some reason, something set me off, and I the next thing I knew I had eaten a ton of things that are a definite no no. Hmmm. I oddly don't feel too depressed about it, and feel fairly confident that I can get back on track tomorrow, but I am puzzled by where these binges come from. It is as if I lose control. But I am beginning to learn the things that are setting me off, and see also that I really can't "cheat" for now, because it just makes things a lot harder. I know I know, the 80% rule...I feel that if I keep in mind that I don't have to be 100% strict, but in actual practice avoid the things that set me off as much as possible, I do better. Sigh. Anyway, not totally off the tracks, just a major stall. I will likely wake up feeling like crap tomorrow...but so it goes. Tomorrow is a new day, and I will try again. haha.

later.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaprotta View Post
    Well, after a few day hiatus, I'm back. I mostly just haven't been by my computer, as I have been out in the wilderness (kind of) doing some fabulous hiking and biking and other fun things. The "challenge" thus far has been going quite excellently...I have been keeping my calories within a reasonable range, hitting about 50% fat regularly, and meeting my protein requirements most days. I haven't even been super anal about making sure I hit the proper ratios etc, it has just been happening naturally while eating "primally". Ever so convenient! I haven't dropped any more weight this week, but I am not too bothered...I feel great and that is what matters at this point. I expect if I keep on the path, more will drop as time goes.

Unfortunately, today was a big derailment. I have no idea why, because I have been feeling great, not really craving grains/sugars etc, and doing well all round. But for some reason, something set me off, and I the next thing I knew I had eaten a ton of things that are a definite no no. Hmmm. I oddly don't feel too depressed about it, and feel fairly confident that I can get back on track tomorrow, but I am puzzled by where these binges come from. It is as if I lose control. But I am beginning to learn the things that are setting me off, and see also that I really can't "cheat" for now, because it just makes things a lot harder. I know I know, the 80% rule...I feel that if I keep in mind that I don't have to be 100% strict, but in actual practice avoid the things that set me off as much as possible, I do better. Sigh. Anyway, not totally off the tracks, just a major stall. I will likely wake up feeling like crap tomorrow...but so it goes. Tomorrow is a new day, and I will try again. haha.

later.
    Sounds like good progress!