Thread: How do I figure out what to supplement? page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

How do I figure out what to supplement?

Shop Now
    I would love if there was an easy and comprehensive resource on how to figure out what nutrients and minerals each person should supplement.

For example, I'm a mid 20s pale ass white guy. I eat pretty primally, although I didn't come from a position where I was facing any serious health or fitness problems (except a bit of pudge and atrophy that's reversing well for me with eating generally low carb and lifting heavy things on a regular basis for the first time in my life). Recently I've begun taking two 1000 iu vitamin D pills and two 1200mg fishoil + 1000 iu pills each morning and evening. (the oil pills are 300ish mg grams of Omega 3- it's not one of those crap pills that advertises as having O3 and O6, but wtf is the rest of the oil?). I also take zinc at least once a day, usually with dinner since it can be rough on a empty stomach. Like I said, I eat roughly primally, lots of beef, onions, full fat dairy, herbs and spices, etc. Probably don't get as many veggies as some, as I tend to overestimate my needs and buy so much it spoils... Mostly conventional stuff, since I am a poor student, but GF from time to time. It would be so cool if I could punch all this into some website wizard and have it spit out some recommendations. Is such a thing even possible? I know a lot of people have forumals for particular supplements... I wonder if they could all be hooked together in a spreadsheet or calculator of some sort, but I am excel-impaired.

Pipedreams aside, anyone have suggestions for me? Only real potential mineral/nutrient problem I've noticed recently is getting charliehorse type cramps in various muscles sometimes when engaged in... vigorous adult activity. I do eat bananas from time to time, not sure what the deal with potassium is.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Check this out, you may find it helpful: http://1stholistic.com/nutrition/hol...f-symptoms.htm

Mark recommends all folks take a multimineral/multivitamin of some sort (along w/ fish oil, probiotics, and supplemental vit D). Supplementing may help w/ your charliehorses. Potassium could definitely be an issue there. Someone else posted recently about leg cramps that were relieved by some sort of greens supplement.

HTH!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    I would love if there was an easy and comprehensive resource on how to figure out what nutrients and minerals each person should supplement.
    There is.....me!

A bit swamped still with....well, with stuff and i'm also getting ready to drive to MI tomorrow but once I'm settled there I should have some time.

Feel free to nudge me repeatedly.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    There is.....me!

A bit swamped still with....well, with stuff and i'm also getting ready to drive to MI tomorrow but once I'm settled there I should have some time.

Feel free to nudge me repeatedly.

K
    nudge!

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I started getting really bad foot cramps and I found out it was from eating too much red meat (too much iron in the blood) I cut it down to 3-4x a week instead of everyday and my cramps went away. You can help by making cilantro tea to clear out the excess iron too. (boil cilantro with a bag of tea of your choice, yerba mate or peppermint works well to hide the cilantro taste).

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I've used www.fitday.com to get an idea. You input all your foods for the day, and it will spit out a graph showing the amounts of some basic vitamins & minerals. If you don't like the Zinc supplements, my understanding is a serving of Oysters will give you enough Zinc to last the week. Easy to get once a week at happy hour!

From reading it seems the main vitamins/minerals that are tough to get (even eating Primally for some) are vitamin D, Magnesium and Omega 3. For me, I found my Magnesium is usually ok, but Calcium was usually low.

Here's a good Dr. Eades article about Magnesium and inflammation:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/u...-inflammation/