Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal for Jenny -- "Display some adaptability" page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal for Jenny -- "Display some adaptability"

Hi all! I'm not sure how many people will read this, but I might as well journal. Once upon a time I thought of myself as pretty buff and badass... I want to get back there again and really enjoy life!

I introduced myself already over here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ow-start...%29

Here's the quickie summary of my starting status:

I'm pregnant, due late December, and losing weight (20 lbs so far, it was 40 last time) due to my typical pregnancy lack-of-appetite. So we'll see how well I can adhere to Primal meanwhile. At the very least I'm confident I can cut back on my pasta-addiction no matter what my appetite is like right now.

Currently 220 lbs. I certainly need to lose weight, but mercifully it's not a skinny-vanity-obsessive thing for me -- it's more about feeling healthy, energetic, and physically competent!

I have mild PCOS, and the extra androgens do give me one hormonal upshot: I build muscle pretty easily for a woman and I'm generally stronger than I look. Even now with no training I can leg press around 1400 lbs. on the gym machine. Back when I was at my most athletic I hovered around 150 lbs. Because of our builds and relative muscle mass, I wager I'll always weigh more than my uber-skinny husband (we're the same height.) I am "woman built for pull plow" as they say.

IBS is not fun but I'm hoping Primal will help with that. I won't be able to judge progress on that front until much later though -- all sorts of cramps are typically rampant during pregnancy. And at least for me, breastfeeding seems to mask the IBS temporarily. (It was coming back before I got knocked up with Kid #2). So by the time I'm done breastfeeding Kid #2, I ought to be so Primally marvelous that I'm hoping the IBS will never return or at least it'll be milder.

Currently trying to get buy-in for Primal Blueprint from my husband and 15-month-old daughter. Hubby is starting to read the book. He's mostly into it, conceptually, but hesitant to commit to giving up grains. Perhaps it'll be a gradual thing for him.

Conveniently I already hate soda and I'm not really into pastry or candy. Unfortunately, I also sort of hate meat... very tricky for me to find meat appetizing, though as an omnivore, I do want to eat more meat On Principle (and I am not a big fan of vegetarian alternatives.) I think as we get more practice cooking, I'll enjoy the resulting foods more. My husband loves meat so he's all for this.

I used to get a lot of protein from dairy, but I'm trying to cut back from my quarter-gallon-a-day and at least limit dairy to mostly cheese and yogurt.

Thanks for reading and of course, all comments and suggestions are welcome!

Today's foodishness:
    Romaine with olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic power, salt, and pepper (YUM)
    Almonds
    Brie (see above RE: me and dairy and cheese...)
    glass of milk (Trust me, just one glass IS me cutting back. This will continue...)
    Lots of water (which I then spilled all over my work computer... oops. Hope it's OK!)
    Giant bowl of my family's soup recipe from here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ie-soup-recipe (Oh my. So good. WHY don't I make this more often?!)

Activityness:
    Walk around the pond near work.
    Goofing around with my kid. Toddlers are a good workout!
    Tomorrow we're going to Otakon in Baltimore, http://www.otakon.com -- so that'll be LOTS of walking. Still not sure what I'll eat there, though... I'll bring apples and almonds and water.

Funnishness:
    Gonna take a bath tonight with the hubby. The weightlessness ought to help me with the pregnancy cramps, too. Hmm. I should hit the pool more often with my kid too; it's not really a workout but she enjoys the water and I enjoy the buoyancy.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jenny! I wanted to pitch in on the IBS - I've been primal for about 7 months in an attempt to remedy a host of immunological issues, including GI problems (I got chronic diarrhea from a nasty round of antibiotics over 8 years ago) and also to gain weight. I have had a great deal of relief from eating the right stuff. From my experience and research, as-close-to-carnivore-as-possible is probably optimum for healing a damaged gut. I don't handle raw veggies well at all, and even most cooked ones don't sit the greatest. Tomatoes and peppers are particularly troublesome. Fermented seems to be OK but I really only eat sauerkraut perhaps once a month. Onions and garlic are fine, perhaps even curative/soothing. Grass-fed ruminant meat (lamb, beef, bison) is best for my gut, noticeably so over other meats. I take Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus. Goat and sheep dairy are much better on my gut than cow dairy and oh my goodness, do they have some excellent brie-type cheeses from goat milk. Look for bucheron. I drink 1-2 quarts of goat milk a day (I do take Lactaid, basically just for some digestive aid just in case) and have been on the above regimen with good gut health for about 3 months.

Pristinexine is offline Junior Member
    Just wanted to say good luck! =D

I absolutely adore brie and milk and dairy in general, so I know it's hard to cut back. But I used to have a lot of intestinal issues and cutting out the milk was the best decision I made. ^_^ I hope primal works for you!

Thanks prib81 and Pristinexine. Yeah, I'm sure this way of life will help my digestion on all fronts! I keep hearing success stories like these so I'm very encouraged.

We went to Otakon this weekend which was a heck of a lot of walking -- I did well though and I feel really good about it. Lots of fun seeing my fellow nerds in costume, too.

I used my RunKeeper app to track my walking at work yesterday, too. Aside from the usual walking to/from the car and around the building, I was able to walk another 1.5 miles thanks to going out to get lunch, a meeting in another building, and a lap around our pond here. The pond is artificial, but still much nicer than sitting in the office!

I think at lunch today I'm gonna go buy black footie-socks and use those to walk. We're thinking of getting VFFs this Sunday, so this is my way of sort of having a cheapie preview. Obviously I'm not going trail running with them, but it'll be fine for sidewalking and playing in the yard methinks...

Foodwise, I'm trying to come up with a new breakfast approach for my daughter. Thus far it's been oatmeal w/DHA since she can feed that to herself and it's good practice. So this morning I shared my 4 scrambled eggs with her instead... and she ate almost all of them! Voracious little toddler! I'll fix extra in the future. For spoon practice or breakfast variety, she can always have yogurt (I'm OK with her doing that considering, well, she IS a baby still -- they still have dairy need and they have the enzymes to deal with it, after all. She's also drinking grass-fed organic milk.)

I got a cherry pitter from Progressive. It's sort of like a giant stapler that pits 4 cherries at once. Really handy. With cherries suddenly being so convenient, I anticipate we'll be eating a lot more of them.

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    If you're near B-more, City Sports usually has the VFF in stock. As well as the Injinji toe socks.

And a suggestion for something to add to your daily diet, coconut oil. You can eat a spoonful, put it into coffee or tea, melt it over veggies, or (my favorite) fry whatever meat you're going to have in it with seasoning of choice. I find it's great with some chili powder and cumin.

Take care!

Thanks! Yep, I hear City Sports has a branch in Bethesda -- we're going there this weekend. Definitely want the socks too... I imagine it'll make VFFs less sweaty and less frictiony (from what I hear, that can be an issue for some people... understandable considering they're such a close fit!)

We do use coconut oil for cooking. We don't skimp on it then, but as for randomly eating it... I dunno. I'm not at a point where I think I need to add loads of extra fat just on principle to stave off hunger -- probably better off getting extra fat from foods that have other stuff I need like protein (nuts, meat) for now.

VFFs ordered since they didn't have our size of KSOs in stock. We were able to try the size in another style, though. Conveniently my husband and I wear the same size! (We're the same height, too.)

Went geocaching today. Picked the wrong route and so we never found it, but it was a very fun walk of about a mile through a giant meadow of grasshoppers. Many dozen grasshoppers fled with every step -- so many hitting the grass nearby, it sounded like it was raining! I joked with my husband that if we were REALLY primal, we'd have been eating those grasshoppers.

Then went to a salad bar, also ordered some salmon. The salmon was perfectly fine I'm sure, but neither of us were really into it. Tragic! But the huge variety at the salad bar really hit the spot.

Tonight we made beef/pork meatballs, lots of basil and garlic, browned with butter and then cooked the rest of the way with tomato-basil sauce. Mmmm. Now, I know primal life is not all about the numbers, but since I don't get a lot of protein, I went ahead and calculated macronutrients per meatball made, based on the meat, eggs, and sauce:
    68 meatballs
    7,872 calories total / 68 = 115 calories each (incl. a portion of sauce)
    517 fat grams / 68 = 7.6 grams each
    341 carb grams / 68 = 5 grams each (from the sauce)
    438 protein grams / 68 = 6.5 grams each

So if I eat say... six at once at lunch, that's 690 calories, 30 grams carb, and about 40 grams protein. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Jenny; 08-08-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: VFF note

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on getting the VFF's ordered.

Sounds like you two had a great day!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Got the VFFs. It took a lot of work to get my feet into them, REALLY tight across the top. I wasn't expecting the band on the mesh to be quite so tight. I just took them off after a few hours and I still have a red mark from the band. Worrisome. :/

My husband's feet are more slender (though the same size) and he had much less trouble getting 'em on. I am hoping I can just break them in and they'll ease up on me on that front...

Going to Boston this weekend. There'll be a lot of walking but I'm sticking with my flip-flops for now!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast