Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Pancake from book page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Coconut Pancake from book

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made the coconut pancakes this morning from the cookbook. I followed the recipe exactly and I thought they were awful! What's the deal? Everyone raved about them. Did I do something wrong?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I HATE coconut flour pancakes, I hate the texture, the taste. They are just not for me. My kiddos however, LOVE them. *shrug* everyone's palette is different.

pantrybites is offline Member
    Haven't tried the recipe from the book yet but I have made these from here-

It uses whipped egg whites which makes nice fluffy pancakes. I find too much coconut flour is quite dry.

Low Carb, Low Cal Blackberry Pancakes

2 TB coconut flour
    1 egg, 2 whites
    1/2 c. blackberries, fresh or partially frozen
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    few drops of liquid stevia, or other sweetener of your choice
    3 TB water, milk or non-dairy milk

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I have used the recipe from Bruce Fife's cookbook rather than the PB one (which seems to have more liquid, less egg ratio) which I loved. I think it makes a big difference what brand of coconut flour is used. I used Bob's Red Mill which is ground quite fine, but very dry as indicated above. Also, the batter needs to rest a bit to let the coconut flour absorb the liquids.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I thought they were pretty good. Maybe it's the word "pancakes" which in my mind is a nice stack of fluffy, thin 4" sized rounds. These ain't them. Perhaps "pan cakes" would be more accurate? I didn't eat them like traditional pancakes either but rather as a hand-held bready thing which was pretty tasty with some butter and cinnamon or topped with homemade pear sauce on it.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    What specifically was wrong with them/didn't you like? It's be a whole lot easier to tell if you did something wrong, what to tweak, etc, if we knew what you didn't care for!

I didn't like the texture or the taste really. I bought the Tropical Traditions coconut flour and I used coconut oil for the oil. I cook with coconut oil all the time and drinking it in my coffee so don't think it was that. I actually fed the pancakes to the chickens. Didn't even try to pass them off on the kids. They usually are less than thrilled with my experimental cooking. lol I have Bruce Fife's book maybe I will give his a try.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a big fan of coconut flour..I know a lot of people love it here but I'm just not into the texture..I've tried all the tricks to make it more moist etc..I'm just not a fan. I'd rather just not have pancakes. Or have the real thing like once every few months or whatever.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

This is the first time I have used straight coconut flour. I have a coconut flour blend, which is gluten free. I have made my blueberry muffins with that and they were fine. They did get kinda crumbly after the first day, but still tasted good. I will have to try some other recipes with the coconut flour and see what happens.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I too hated them (twice). Today I did an easy almond meal pancake. 3 eggs, 1c almond meal, 1/8 tsp. vanilla, 1/8 tsp cinnamon. mixit & drop em on the griddle. I added frozen (still) blueberries once on the griddle. After flipping, add a little butter to the top & thats it. I like these way better than the cakey coconut ones. They are a little dry thought but thats what the butters for. BTW dont the side of bacon or some salty protien.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast