Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1,00 Calorie Breakfast? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

1,00 Calorie Breakfast?

So my husband and I have been eating primal for almost a month now, and it's been great! But I'm new to IF and the calorie dispersion, so I have a question.

For instance, we just moved out of state and neither or us are working so we're waking up later (8:00ish) and then going to the gym and then eating "breakfast" when we get back, which is usually sometime around 11:00 (we're not at the gym that long, it just takes us a while to get there, get back, change, and make breakfast). We then snack if hungry, and eat dinner a little bit later (7:00-8:00).

This is working for us--but I usually end up eating around 1,000 calories for breakfast! Is this "normal" and "ok" in PB? I'm pretty sure it is, but I haven't read the section on IF yet, and I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong by unintentionally skipping breakfast and then loading at brunch.

For an example, this was this morning's breakfast:

-Spinach (about 1/2 cup raw) suateed with tomato and topped with a dusting of feta cheese
    -One egg
    -4 small (like smaller than saucer) sized pancakes from PB Cookbook with maybe a 1 tsp of maple syrup and lots of butter
    -4 slices of turkey bacon (we switch it up between pig bacon and turkey bacon)

According to livestrong's daily plate, that comes to 1027 calories. Breakfast is comprised of 65% fat, 20% carbs, and 14% protein.

Thoughts?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Here is a typical day for me:

(Click picture for big)

Not unreasonable at all, enjoy your food. There is no need to spread the calories out over a specific period of time. Eat when you are hungry and do so until you are satiated. If thats 1k calories for breakfast, then eat 1k calories for breakfast.

If it falls within the amount of calories you want/need a day.... its all good =)

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Rivvin! What source do you use to track food consumption? I was using dailyplate, but I'm also trying out fitday since it has personalized goals, and you can track body measurement changes, moods, etc. Yours looks pretty neat too!

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    What Rivvin said--- BUT...

...I don't see how what you talked about can add up to 1,027?

-写

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    The protein %age seems low to me. But if you have a protein rich dinner, this probably averages out. Eating patterns are highly personal. Ask 3 people here and you will get 5 answers. The general questions are: 1) how to do you feel? energetic, able to accomplish fitness goals? and 2) how are you progressing on your body composition goals? If those are on track, everything is fine. If you feel the need for a 2 hour nap after a big brunch, then you might try something else.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree with ikaika. Unless you are adding lots of butter and feta cheese. Anyway, what you described sounds great. Sounds similar to the LeanGains approach, where the largest meal is always post-workout.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    Thanks Rivvin! What source do you use to track food consumption? I was using dailyplate, but I'm also trying out fitday since it has personalized goals, and you can track body measurement changes, moods, etc. Yours looks pretty neat too!
    That's from daily burn, which I think has a little bit of a nicer interface and better nutritional data than dailyplate.

Anyways, if you are meeting your goals and feel good, just eat what you feel you need to eat. As long as its primal food, you are good to go

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    leangains.com has an amazing IF system that literally reprogrammed the way my body consumes and wants to consume food. I IF for 16 hours and then have an 8 hour eating window. Works like a charm and I feel terrific while having ample energy to go Beast mode at the gym

the take away is that removing breakfast allows for the simplest, easiest IF - you are in a fasted state when waking from sleep.

It probably sounds impossible because many people are conditioned to eat breakfast - honestly it's a habit like any other (grains/carbs) and you do not require it. Will take some time to reprogram yourself from "starving" in the morning but it has been worth it for me personally.

strom is offline Senior Member
    I tend to get depressed when I don't eat for awhile. Is there away around this? I'd like to learn how to skip the breakfast several times a week if possible.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's normal for me, and I'm a small female. My breakfast BAS often approaches 1000 calories. Yum yum. I usually eat breakfast late, too, and it keeps me full for HOURS.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast