Thread: Beef bones and veggie soup recipe page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Beef bones and veggie soup recipe

Primal Fuel
    It occurs to me that my favorite family soup recipe would be totally primal without pasta. I often make it with extra veggies to dodge pasta anyway, so I know this works yummily.

Ingredients:
    beef marrow bones (I buy these frozen at Whole Foods because all the other local sources are icky.)
    carrots
    celery
    yellow onion
    Water to cover everything
    salt and pepper

Basically the proportions are totally up to you; I like to make sure I use at least a few pounds of bones for a more flavorful soup.

I usually cook the bones in enough water to cover first, then take the bones out with tongs to cool a bit, then poke out the marrow so it can stay in the soup.

(When removing the bones, be careful of hot-water splashdowns! Maybe wear an oven mitt while tong-ing. I've also used a colander for the opposite approach of bone-removal, but that requires a second giant pot to drain into and continue the cooking...)

If I'm feeling ambitious or want a smoother soup, I blenderize the marrow with some of the water, but that's not necessary.

While the bones cool, you can add your veggies to the broth to cook. Since carrots take longer, I often add the carrots first... or toss in whole carrots while the bones are cooking... or cut them fine enough that they cook proportionally to the celery. My "timer" is whenever all three veggies are to a texture I like.

Add salt and pepper at the end to taste. I really like this with a lot of pepper, but of course it's up to you.

If you try this out, please reply to let us know how it went.
    Last edited by Jenny; 07-30-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the word "soup" in the title!

P.S.: Don't let the water with the bones boil, or it'll foam up. If it does, just skim off the foam with a spoon and discard.

I really do suggest the two-pot-and-colander method. If you take that approach, you can cook the bones over in the smaller pot while the prepped veggies go in the other pot, just barely underwater. That also lets you toss the onion skins, celery ends, any carrot ends, into the pot with the bones to enhance that half of the broth.

Then put the big veggie pot in the sink, put the colander on top (uh, might wanna test the fit beforehand), dump the bones/misc pot into the colander. Then deal with fishing out the marrow later.

Or just put it all together and leave the bones in there and don't worry about them period. It's not like you're going to accidentally eat a 3x3 inch bone!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I just took another stab at bone broth, with great success.

1-2lbs beef bones from the farmers market, with a whole lotta veggie ends I'd been saving up in the freezer - asparagus ends, celery leaves, etc. etc. Also a few cloves of garlic. Put them in the crock pot, cover with water, let it go on low for 12hrs.
    Then I let it cool & put it in the fridge for a day, mostly because I didn't have time to do anything else.
    That night with a slotted spoon I took out the veggie ends & some of the crusty white fat. (no worries, plenty left!) The bones still looked like they had something left in them, so I put them back in with a splash of apple cider vinegar, everything back in the fridge.
    Next day, back in the crock pot with an onion and some kale.

When I got home the house smelled a little funny, like vinegar. I thought I might've done wrong by my broth... but then I tasted it.

BEST. EVER.

Fished out the bones with the slotted spoon, had a bowl & put the rest in the fridge. I planned to add meatballs and a few more veggies, but I don't think it will last long enough - I had two cups already today!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds great, elwyne! I should definitely try variations on this with new veggies. I made it my traditional way today because I'm sorta celebrating my Primal start.

And it tastes even better after stewing together overnight in the fridge, doesn't it?

Vinegar eh? Huh, never thought to even try that. Maybe I should leave the bones in for the overnight too, to make sure all the goodies are wrung out of 'em.