Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteoporosis page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Osteoporosis

Primal Fuel
    I have osteoporosis... not going to take any medicine for it as even my ability to walk has improved with primal blueprint eating. however, i was consuming a LOT of dairy, from yogurt, hard cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese you name it i was eating it. it's just not workin anymore but i was on the 'dairy=good bones' school of thought. anyways, it causes me acne, digestio problems and massive constipation(sry lol) so i am going to try going without it

anyways the question, does anyone have any advice, food or tips for osteoporosis??

it hurts, my bones, they are very weak and i am guessing frail. i get shin splints from taking a walk and have 2 knee braces i wear daily.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about reversing osteoporosis, but vitamin D is terrific for your bones. do you take any?

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    vitamin D to optimal level, magnesium, calcium, vitamin K2 , boron and zinc are all necessary for bone building(its iffy on the boron and zinc though, its been awhile) There are a few formulas out there will all of these nutrients in it.
    Calm the f**k down.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    I have osteoporosis... not going to take any medicine for it as even my ability to walk has improved with primal blueprint eating. however, i was consuming a LOT of dairy, from yogurt, hard cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese you name it i was eating it. it's just not
    5 mg vitamin K treats osteoporosis more effectively than fosamax. I can't find the cite right now.

Calcium probably isn't helpful in general...specifically, you need blood levels of vitamin d around 65 ng/mL, optimal intake of vitamin k (or more than optimal), sufficient zinc, potassium and magnesium. Every day.

There is some new thinking that the DRI for calcium is too high for those getting optimal amounts of D.
    So....
    •get optimal amounts of D
    •Test your levels a few times per year
    •Take vitamin k daily - optimal amounts of K insure that calcium is used in the formation of new bone matrix rather than being deposited soft tissue.
    •get sufficient zinc from food and supplements (15-30 mg per day depending on a variety of factors)
    •get sufficient mangesium from food and supplements (probably 200-600 mg if you're doing the right things with D and calcium)
    •get sufficient calcium from food or supplements (probably 1/2-1/4 of the RDI.....ie 250-500 mg per day.....you should probably go on the higher end....maybe even a little more in hopes that the K and D in combo will allow the calcium to be used more effectively)
    •a little boron (3 mg per day from all sources.....nutritiondata.org)
    •a little vitamin A. VERY LITTLE. A antagonizes D.....it's more complicated than that but high vitamin A intakes=poorer bone density. keep A intake around 300 IU per day on average - so liver intake would be 1x per month.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Everyone has given you good advice on supplementation. I hasdeopenia and corrected it by getting my thyroid, estrogen, and vitamin D levels optimized. I also religiously supplemented with calcium , magnesium and zinc.

There is a blood test that can show if your are breaking down or building bone density. That test is called N-telopeptide.

thanks or the tips...

i take a lotta vitamind D already and have for probably a year or so. Also i take zinc and magnesium. My vitamin K when i enter food is always over 100%(spinach i think?) ...did NOT KNOW about the vitamin A thing though i get like 29346502345234895% vitamin A most days so thank yoU! i know i am without a doubt probably overdosed invitamin A... liver is my favorite food

mmkay... so food source wise what is good for this stuff? i need to replace a LOT of calories i displace in dairy as it was making up like 1800 or so calories a day. i am thinnnnnnnnnking....need to get ahold of this 'finding balance' thing because i go in phases, like i lived off coconut products, then lived off dairy products, then phase in and out of other foods... BALANCE haha is a crazy thing.

so no that i got up to a normal healthy BMI i would like to start my tweaking and dairy is a no-go lol the bloat, acne and headaches are so not worth it.

*Avocados
    *Macadamia Nuts
    *precook some steak & meatballs and stuff
    *Coconut stuff but i am sosick of coconut products i could barf even looking at coconut butter turns my stomach

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Everyone has given you good advice on supplementation. I hasdeopenia and corrected it by getting my thyroid, estrogen, and vitamin D levels optimized. I also religiously supplemented with calcium , magnesium and zinc.

There is a blood test that can show if your are breaking down or building bone density. That test is called N-telopeptide.

while i would love to get all kinds of 'tests' for optimization on my body, my insurance blows and i am still in debt from knee damage. they said i need surgery and it wont get better without it but primal seems to be helping and i cant affrd surgery either.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Consider supplementing with strontium, which has been shown to improve bone density. I use this product:

Doctor's Best, Strontium Bone Maker
    http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-S...Caps/8006?at=0

Check out the product reviews -- there are many for whom using this product has led to significantly improved bone density.

Important note: since strontium competes with calcium for absorption, it's important to take these 2 supplements at different times of day. I usually take my strontium in the morning, and then my 2 doses of calcium in the afternoon & evening.

There are some products on the market that claim to be an all-in-one bone supplement... but often these will include strontium along with the calcium & other minerals. I don't know how effective such a supplement would be, if Sr and Mg truly inhibit each other's absorption... so I just stay away from these combination products that contain strontium.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 07-30-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    My Favorite doctor, Cardiologist William Davis has SHOCKING news:

Osteoporosis is a condition characterized by progressive loss of bone density, thinning of bone tissue and increased vulnerability to fractures. Osteoporosis may result from disease, dietary or hormonal deficiency or advanced age. Regular exercise and vitamin and mineral supplements can reduce and even reverse loss of bone density.
    "Coronary atherosclerotic plaque and bone health are intimately interwoven. People who have coronary plaque usually have osteoporosis; people who have osteoporosis usually have coronary plaque. (The association is strongest in females.) The worse the osteoporosis, the greater the quantity of coronary plaque, and vice versa. The two seemingly unconnected conditions share common causes and thereby respond to similar treatments. .........Incredibly, rarely will your doctor tell you about these strategies. Your doctor orders a bone density test, the value shows osteopenia or osteoporosis, and a drug like Fosamax or Boniva is prescribed. As many people are learning, drugs like this can be associated with severe side-effects, such as jaw necrosis (death of the jaw bone), a dangerous and disfiguring condition that leads to loss of teeth and disfigurement, followed by reconstructive surgery of the jaw and face. These are not trivial effects.

Note that drugs are approved by the FDA based on assessment of efficacy and safety, NOT proven equivalence or superiority to natural treatments!!!

Read the rest of the story here: Simple vitamins prove to be superior to expen$ive Fosamax or Boniva -
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...ntion-and.html
    ( Vitamin D Dosage = 1,000 Units per 25 lbs of body weight per K)

Best of Health to all,
    Fred

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Real gelatin blocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast