Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dextrose and MSG - I need insight page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Dextrose and MSG - I need insight

Primal Fuel
    So I placed a bulk order for sausage that I was told would be "Free of preservatives and additives" and ended up with 12 pounds of sausage with the following ingredients: Pork, water, dextrose, MSG, spices

Dextrose and MSG: awesome. I cannot bring myself to throw out 15 pounds of sausage, so what I want to know is how should I consider dextrose? Is Dextrose the 100% equivalent to table sugar?

I know MSG has gotten a bad rap, but all the articles I look at online just talk about how the government uses it to make poor people more satisfied with their gas station food which means jack squat to me as I could not care less about conspiracy theories and am more interested in the facts behind the food. What is the deal with MSG, can anyone tell me?

I guess if I am going to eat this sausage I just want to understand what I'm putting into my body, because I've got 15 pounds of this crap.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Dextrose is just a form of glucose, simple sugar really, but used heavily in the food industry. How many grams of sugar does the sausage have, and how far down the ingredients list is it listed? Sausage I have been avoiding buying lately because there is just so much added to the meat - and the fresh sausage at WF and central market contain canola oil----wtf!

MSG---I'm too lazy to really do any research on this at all, and honestly, I just dont eat it because everyone says its bad and I just lump it in with all the commercial food industry chemicals yada yada.

God, this doesnt help you at all, I see. 15 lbs? I hate wasting even a little bit of food, so throwing it out is really not an option for me either. I would say.........do you know of anyone who might want it? Giving it away may be your best bet.......you still probably paid a good amount of money on it, though :/

At the end of the day, will it bother you to eat it? If you end up stressing over the MSG and dextrose swimming around inside of you, then maybe its in your best interest, mentally, to give it away. If you are able to just not dwell on it it though, I wouldnt say you were killing yourself by eating it this time. Also, who told you it would be preservative and additive free? you should punch that person.

ps this post is no help at all, i realize this.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Sure, treat dex like sugar and the msg is for the umami mouthfeel normally used when something is low in fat or it's used to
    enhance the flavor much like salt does. I always make my own sausage, give that a try.

Oh I'm going to eat it because this stuff was expensive as hell. I don't know the actual nutrient breakdown, but the ingredient list is: Pork, Water, Pepper, Dextrose, MSG, Spices, Sage, Nitrites.

Yeah I'm pretty pissed that I was lied too about it being all natural and preservative free. I just wanted to know what I'm actually putting into my body by eating it.

I'm glad to know dextrose is the same as glucose, I won't feel so bad about eating that. I just wish I knew more about MSG.

I'm hoping that even though these ingredients are high on the list that maybe there is not a whole lot of it in the sausage but I really have no way of knowing. I guess its a good thing that I eat so well that something like this pisses me off so bad.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    So I placed a bulk order for sausage that I was told would be "Free of preservatives and additives" and ended up with 12 pounds of sausage with the following ingredients: Pork, water, dextrose, MSG, spices
    Dextrose:
    http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips006.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sup...extrose.html#2
    "Dextrose rates very high on the glycemic index meaning that it enters our system extremely fast and so stimulates a high insulin response very quickly. Insulin is a very anabolic hormone as it takes not only glucose to muscle cells, but proteins, amino acids and other essential nutrients such as creatine and glutamine etc."

Dextrose is a favored substance for glycogen replacement following intensive exercise. Personally, I *would* use if if I needed rapid glycogen replacement but I wouldn't eat it in sausage;/

Blaylock (probably has the best info on MSG and the other excitotoxins:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5525501310962#

MSG doesn't seem to be so problematic for me personally, but I generally avoid it. If the sausage only had the msg I'd probably eat it, but my I don't think my brother would. He's a picky primal physician with a great knowledge base.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

I'm hoping that even though these ingredients are high on the list that maybe there is not a whole lot of it in the sausage but I really have no way of knowing. I guess its a good thing that I eat so well that something like this pisses me off so bad.
    exactly! Youre probably fine, "now you know" etc etc.......just think, you could be hitting up a chinese buffet every week, like some of my guy friends do religiously.....AND youre body's immune defenses are in tip top shape, so toxins are dealt with very effectively in someone like you, also something to think about. And, I bet the sausage is delicious anyway.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    ...but the ingredient list is: Pork, Water, Pepper, Dextrose, MSG, Spices, Sage, [bold]Nitrites[/bold].

Yeah I'm pretty pissed that I was lied too about it being all natural and preservative free.
    Nitrites ARE a preservative. If the sellers truly advertise it as "preservative free", there's a real problem there.

My $0.02 is to just eat it and not worry too much about it and keep this in mind for your next purchase.

As I think about this, I wonder what this says about society when someone actually believes Dextrose and MSG don't count as additives and preservatives?

Is this how bad it has become that ingredients like these are "normal"? That in itself makes me sad.

Also, thanks for the replies, I feel much less concerned about the MSG now even if it is a substance I will continue to try and avoid!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If it was sold as "preservative free," I don't understand why you aren't demanding a refund.

As to the ingredients, I hope you're not as sensitive to MSG as I am. I get quite ill if I have anything with MSG, which is why I have to be extremely careful in restaurants. I don't know why I react as I do, but my BP drops, and a couple of times, I came close to fainting.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It was made by the father of my Boss at their locally owned butcher shop. Not rocking the boat is the reason behind keeping my mouth shut about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast