Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol Sensitivity page

jpippenger Guest

Primal Fuel

This is an embarrassing post. Yesterday I decided to drink at a Memorial Day get together. I didn't want to drink much, so I bought a four-pack of beer. Before I went primal (Less than two months ago), four beers would be a warm up for me. It usually takes about seven or eight beers before I start to become tipsy and usually I stop around that point, but I would normally have to drink more than a dozen beers before I would have to worry about getting sick. Even then, I'd have a hard time drinking that much beer because I would get tired or bloated.

What I'm getting at, is that I know or at least knew my limits when it comes to drinking beer and four beers is no where near my limit. However, yesterday I became extremely ill after only drinking four beers. It was like I had gone back to my college days and had gone shot for shot, instead of having a causal beer.

Has anyone experienced a new level of sensitivity to alcohol after switching to a primal lifestyle?

The only other thing I think that could have caused it is sun poisoning. I'm certainly leaning towards the sun poisoning theory, as today I am dizzy and feverish and I think I might just glow in the dark.

I'd hate to think I can't drink beer anymore. Then again, if I can't its a small price to pay for better health.

Just curious. Anyone else find they are more sensitive to alcohol or should I just leave the moral of the story as this:

Sun + alcohol = Misery

Tarlach is offline Member

If your carbs are low and you are in ketosis, you will be much more susceptible to alcohol.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

jpippenger Guest

My carb level was super low.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I have noticed that I am more sensitive to alcohol than I used to be also. It takes very little for me to feel the effects. I don't know whether it's because I don't indulge the way I used to, or the fact that I have much less body mass than I used to. Either way, a little goes a long way now.

Tarlach is offline Member

"The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption."

More about ketosis here:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

egmutza Guest

I've definitely noticed increased sensitivity to alcohol. I've always been a whiskey drinker and know my limits very well. About 6 months after going primal, I blacked out (a first in my 15 years of alcohol consumption) from drinking an amount of whiskey that normally would have only made me confidently drunk. I was also hung over for nearly two full days afterwards! Brutal.

I think it's a mix of the reasons listed above, and the fact that you've probably lost a significant % of your previous body weight. That alone will change how affected you are by alcohol intake.

One nice thing about going primal is that I don't crave a few stiff bourbons at the end of the day like I used to. I still enjoy them every now and again, but don't feel compelled to drink excessively any more. Tom Naughton had an interesting post about alcohol on his blog a while back that touched on this.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

@jpippenger: I also experienced the same, and I think Tarlach explained the physiology behind it very well.

I think it's a good thing though, especially in these financially-tough times.

If you want to increase your tolerance you could consider drinking while snacking. Think nuts with beer, or red meat with red wine.

You could consider switching to other mood-enhancing substances as well. Caffeine comes to mind. Your location and regulations might increase your options though.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

jpippenger Guest

I'm not too concerned about increasing my tolerance. If two beers is my limit, that in some ways is awesome. I'll be a cheap date.

I am seriously debating if I even want to bother drinking again. This could be the "day after" doing the talking, but it does tend to be a hinder to improvement.

Thanks for all the comments, everybody.

madMUHHH Guest

I noticed that too, but as others already said, I do not think it's a bad thing. I'm also drinking less alcohol in general, so this is of course another factor that makes me even more sensitive to alchohol's effects.

marci Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I was hoping by going primal I'd see a difference in the way alcohol is processed by my body but I've not noticed a difference. I love wine & enjoy a few glasses on the weekend. But my tolerance is the same.

Last year I gave up alcohol for 3 months & doubled my cardio. I did not eat meat but did eat fish. I thought I might lose weight but no such luck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast