Thread: How many grams of fat should I be eating??? How to figure this out? page

MumtazG38 is offline Member

How many grams of fat should I be eating??? How to figure this out?

Primal Fuel
    Well, I've figured that at my weight and height (lean body mass) I should be consuming from 70.7 to 101 grams of Protein daily (CORRECT ME IF I"M WRONG PLZ! Seems quite low in my opinion....but I'm incredibly sleepy right now and I used some online calculator thingy...I didn't like it, it bothered me *shrugs*.). With my weight loss goals at mind I should be consuming 0-100 grams of Carbohydrates daily. At my BMI I should consume 1557 calories per day to lose 1lb per week without exercise, or 2270 calories per day with moderate exercise. The amount of calories don't matter as much as the sources of the calories do. But....what about the all important FATS? How much fat should I be consuming per day to help with my weight loss? I plan to purchase coconut oil as soon as I can find one that seems like it won't have a coconutty flavor to it. I will also be purchasing omega 3 salmon oil very soon to balance out my o3/o6 ratio since I can't find any grass-fed and along with not knowing how much fat I should consume per day, I haven't the slightest idea how many fish oil pills I would need to take to balance the ratios out enough, considering my diet consists of meats(beef, chicken, rarely salmon), veggies, dairy, eggs, store bought butter, oils, (XV olive oil, cold pressed for now) and the likes but no grains/rice/sugar/sodas etc.

Is there even a formula for the amount of fat per day or am I just supposed to wing it? I searched in the MDA archives (by searched, I mean literally...I didn't go through every single article that ever was published, but I did do a search on the words fats, saturated fats and several variations and read anything of relevance) but couldn't find anything to help me figure out how much fat I should consume to not be under or over doing it.

Suggestions???
    Last edited by MumtazG38; 07-30-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    As a general thumb rule you can use 2 / 1 / 0.5 grams per body weight in kg of fat, protein and carbohydrates. So, if you weigh 90 kg, it adds up to 180 / 90 / 45 grams of fat, protein and carbohydrates respectively. Tweak protein and fat as needed.

Remember, it's only a guideline.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Don't sweat it. Counting calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc. is a labor-intensive and wholly inaccurate process. Better to focus on food quality and its effects on your satiation and body composition. Your diet looks spot on, so just have at it and let us know how it goes!
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness