Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I may quit primal. Need medical advice page

Ninjagirl is offline Junior Member

I may quit primal. Need medical advice

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been eating primal for 6 months, and the last 3 months more seriously. I have been having painful nocturnal calf cramps for the last 2 months. I have done lots of things to try and get rid of them, but nothing worked. About three days ago I found out that when you eat a high protein diet you start peeing out your minerals, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, etc.... I bought some greens + bone builder at the drug store, and low and behold my calf cramps went away.

My questions:

Does anyone else have this problem ?

If primal is the ultimate diet, then what the heck am I doing wrong, I should not need supplements if this diet is good, and would Grok have had the same problem ?

I am eating lots of fruit and veg with my meals, and I have a labour intensive job, so I sweat lots. I also hope this diet will not weaken my bones, it won't will it ?

Unless I get some good motivation to stick with this diet I am going to be highly motivated to Weston A Price my meals more and eat 'gasp' soaked grains.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I believe you are one of the few primal eaters who doesn't take supplements. The food we consume today is not nearly as robust/dense in nutrients. We are in a very clean world, eating less dirt (where many minerals come from).

Search the forum for supplement discussions.

Read the book, Primal Blueprint.

Read Protein Power Lifeplan.

Lots of fodder for wife supplementing.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 07-29-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: HAHAHA. That was supposed to be WISE supplementing. But it's funny so I left it.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

inga is offline Member
    I dont supplement wifes but I do take D3 and a really good multi-vitamin, or at least I think its really good, might be crap :B
    What are greens + bone builder? Also, how much protein are you eating? I dont know anything about peeing out your minerals tho, sorry, never heard that before.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    PB is not a high protein diet. It's high fat, medium protein, low carb.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    PB is not a high protein diet. It's high fat, medium protein, low carb.
    this +3 Most of your cals should come from fat.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I think if you're gonna quit, then what you ought to do, is perhaps increase your fats and probably carbs (are you super low?) And check into that Supplement... You may totally need a divorce and find a new wife!

The cramps can be magnesium, calcium, potassium efficiencies. Any minute, Cillakat will be here to set you straight!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that you also have to make sure that you're not nutrient deficient. No amount of not eating grains will do that, though it may contribute to absorbing more of the ones you do consume what with the gut damage.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Ninjagirl is offline Junior Member
    I just found some info on Dr Eades site about the possibility of cramps when you don't have a lot of magnesium in your diet. So greens + gives me the magnesium. Also when you cut carbs in your diet you have to increase fat and protein, so I do consider primal a higher protein diet. Eating higher levels of protein has a diuretic effect on your body making you lose minerals. I don't want to quit Primal, I love the weight I have lost, I just want to make sure that this is a healthy diet and not a unhealthy one.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    i just re-read your post and have you been drinking enough water? You said you sweat a lot at work? Eating more fat requires more water to digest it. You might just be dehydrated

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you're eating too much protein and you could try shifting your macronutrient ratios in favor of fat.
    Primal is not necessarily a high protein diet. In fact, Nora Gedgaudas, in "Primal Body, Primal Mind" talks about how we don't need a ton of protein (except for people with very high muscle mass or people recovering from illnesses) and even then, the protein is in maybe the 75 gm range, which still isn't high protein...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast