Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling unit page 2

annie is offline Senior Member
    I just got the two books about real food today (by Planck and Vinton). I haven't read them cover to cover, but through skimming the chapters they look to be decent. They aren't primal, there is mention of bread and beans, but the focus of both is local, fresh, food, with the emphasis on veggies and healthy fats. One of them, at least, goes into the problem with corn having taken over the food market and grain fed anything not being our friend. So, I think they'll be decent to take info from for my Health: Fitness, Food, and Fun unit!

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    I read "Real Food" (Planck) a couple of years ago and found it interesting, but that was before I found MDA and PB, so I don't know how it would match up now. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" changed my life, although again, I find it to still be way to CW for my taste now. I think you have the juvenile version on your list, but with a different author's name (Chevat/Richie).

I love the idea of teaching straight out of PB, since I find it to be the best and most comprehensive, down-to-earth approach to eating, moving and living. Chapter by chapter with activities sounds awesome.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

I think PB will be the book I lean on most heavily. It's a bit frustrating that there isn't more out there, though. My kids love reading. Thanks for your thoughts...I'm taking it all in. We're at least a week away from this unit, so we'll figure something out by then!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    It is frustrating there isn't more literature that deals as well with primal eating at PB does! However, this might be a good juncture to begin teaching your son about critical thinking and comparing sources. The earlier you can instill that in him (especially learning to question ad's on tv, etc) the better! It's a great skill for life, invaluable in college, and once honed, a skill to increase salary in a career setting! I know he's young to wrap his head around the concept, but it sounds like he's pretty advanced so I'm sure he'll take to it.

that's a great point...about critcal thinking. We'll definitely have to work that into this lesson. They're bombarded by so many messages and receive so many "rewards" for eating crap, or at least nagging me to buy it!

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Just a note: I home schooled my kids and they turned out fine. Got a biologist, a RN, and a meteorologist for the efforts.

Most people usually complained about how my kids would miss out on socialization. I always held that home schooled kids would have no problems dealing with public school kids as long as they used small words and shorter sentences.

LOL Thanks, Gator. I'm not too worried about the homeschooling thing. It's what's best for them right now. Thanks!

Tiffany is offline Junior Member
    Another homeschooling family here! My kids are 5 and 3...we did k12 curriculum last year...will be doing tranditional homeschooling this year, though. Nice to see there are others out there!

I'm loving the PBF! It came at a great time...the kids are going to love it!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is a newer Michael Pollan book, "In Defense of Food," that I found a lot more readable than "The Omnivore's Dilemma". You might want to give that one a look.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast