Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my statin numbers back...doesn't look that good.... page

TimW is offline Junior Member

Got my statin numbers back...doesn't look that good....

Primal Fuel
    So, I got my latest lipid panel back, and the numbers are worse.

The dates for the test results below are as follows and in this order

7-20-10 / 3-10-10 / 11-2009 / 11-2008
    Most recent ---------------------Oldest

Total 179 / 158 / 180 / 188
    Trig 172 / 161 / 132 / 173
    HDL 56 / 52 / 46 / 47
    LDL 89 / 74 / 112 / 112

As you can see, March had lower overall, but higher triglycerides, which were lower last November but also had higher LDL.

Basically, last year (around beginning of summer) we really started watching what we ate, and moved significantly to ground turkey for our main meat source, egg whites instead of whole eggs, cut back (but not eliminated) the whole wheat bread. We'd pretty much eliminated all the processed/boxed stuff back then, too.

November 09 was when my cardiologist bumped me from 1gr of fish oil (Lovaza) to 2gr per day (1 a.m. and 1 p.m.). My triglycerides went up.

We started eating a lot more organic veggies and grass-fed beef and wild-caught salmon around February.

Since March or so, we really started to hit the primal thing, eating more whole eggs than whites (though we still mix, usually 4-5 eggs to 3 egg equiv of whites for two people), increasing avocado consumption and, recently, coconut milk for curries and such (past 2, just before my latest draw). Cut out the Raisin Bran (so not all processed stuff was gone).

So, these numbers don't really make a lot of sense to me. My total cholesterol, LDL and Triglycerides were all lower before really going primal. I haven't really changed much else. I exercise more now, in fact, than before, still only use 2 spoons of sugar for a.m. coffee (all the sugar I add to anything during the day).

My numbers seem better when I ate less fat and more grains.

Help?
    TimW
    Phoenix

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    it looks like.....

your health markers were all the best(?) when you got tested in march, after a month of lesser grains, salmon, grass fed beef, and veggies, and elminated processed foods. this makes sense. your numbers got slightly higher after adding bit more saturated fat (in the form of egg yollks), and eliminated the calories from grains (hypothetically causing an increase in protien and fat consumption overall) your numbers went up a little....and I for one do not think that that is nescesarily a bad thing, as long as your omaga ratios are good (which they should be with the 2g fish oil a day - which also may raise your trig numbers)

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Have you looked at griff's post on ratios? you might wanna punch in your numbers into there. Your numbers might not be as bad as you think.

Faumdano is offline Member
    You might consider dropping the almost certainly expensive lovaza for a good quality over the counter product.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...pplements.html

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    1. I think your omega 3 intake is way to low. 2 grams a day for an adult feeding is nothing.
    2. You have sugar intake... and grains... and... god knows what else
    3. Who said high cholesterol is bad? The doctors? They are commissioned to say that, remember!!!! After all, they have no idea what it's really going on
    read this article: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla...art-75668.aspx

My advise, cut the crap out your food and do some exercise. And live long and prosper...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Good news is that your HDL is increasing. The other number that I'd focus on is TG, which you want below 90. This value is very sensitive to carb intake - the more carbs the higher it is.

You didn't happen to take the Lovaza while you were meant to be fasting? They will mess up the numbers

TimW is offline Junior Member
    It wasn't the overall cholesterol numbers that worried me, but the increasing triglycerides more than anything. the slight LDL increase was disappointing, but since my HDL increased to, I wasn't worried about that.

Grains are pretty much non-existent now...that was the major change since March. Occasional bread when we had it, but haven't had more than a slice in the past month. The sugar...2 teaspoons 1x a day...sorry, I don't buy that that little amount would cause anything like this, especially since that hasn't changed in...forever. That's been a constant for the past couple years.

Lovaza - this actually works out cheaper given that insurance covers it for 1 co-pay for a 90-day supply.

As for Lovaza during fasting....yes. I was instructed by both my cardiologist and PCP that I should take my meds as I normally do...which would have included a 1gram Lovaza cap in the morning. However, I've always been consistent about it...in other words, while I perhaps shouldn't have, I've always done it, so the numbers should remain consistent, except that by March, I was taking 2grams per day instead of 1 gram per day, as the November 09 results show. I started Lovaza in late 2008, which would help explain the Trig numbers from Nov 2008 to 2009.

Crap. I may just tell my PCP I want another Rx and get another test done, making sure to take NOTHING in the morning.
    TimW
    Phoenix

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    Pardon my silly question & suggestion here.. why not just ditch the Lovaza entirely, and keep doing the Primal thing, and see how that affects your trigs? I don't trust medication from Big Pharma, at all. I'm a bit boggled as to why you'd choose Lovaza over a high quality over the counter fish oil capsule, or just eat more fish?

EDIT: And seriously cut out all grains.. no sneaking stuff in like cereal, whole wheat, etc.

augirl47 is offline Junior Member
    I was on Tricor for trigs for several years. With the medicine the lowest number for trigs was 125. I decided that I was
    tired of being told to cut out sugar and fats. I seldom ate sugar and was eating very low fat. Didn't seem to be working.
    So I dropped the Tricor and decided to cut out all grains and starches, and ate fat After 3 months, I had blood work done and my trigs number was 68 and after 4 months the number was 44. So I too suggest that you really watch the grain and starch intake.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Triglycerides = carbohydrate intake. Even the AHA readily admits that. I know it can be hard to admit, but are you *sure* that your carb intake is as low as you think? No grains, no sugar other than the med, no bingeing on dried fruits or other fruits? (I ask b/c I have a HUGE sugar weak spot that remains despite knowing that it'll kill me. I'll eat huge quantities of raisins or bananas or freeze-dried berries or you name it!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast