Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have You Read Skinny Bitch? The Joke Book of the Millenium page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Have You Read Skinny Bitch? The Joke Book of the Millenium

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Skinny Bitch is the latest book that my sister read. She passed it down to my younger older sister who just began reading it. My mother saw the book and says she wants to read it.

I started to read it and was laughing and also quite angry. The book is a complete joke. I then went to Amazon to purchase the damn thing as I will be talking about it frequently on my blog.

The reviews are putrid. It has almost 1000 reviews and the average is a 3. That is by far the worst rating I have seen on Amazon for anything with more than 100 reviews, even 50. I am a frequent shopper on Amazon so this is saying A LOT.

The book is a joke and I wish my sisters were not involved with it. If they want to be a vegetarian, fine. But, don't do it for the wrong reasons.

Have you read it? What do you think about it? It is very anti-primal in the wrong way.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I skimmed it at the book store once. I was unimpressed.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    What's the basic premise?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Two words. Militant Veganism.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I skimmed it at the bookstore a while ago also. Just long enough to become rather irritated and annoyed. Militant is right on the money. Any book slamming meat is not worth my time.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Same. Saw it at the book store, flipped through it, and gagged on all the angry meat bashing and guilt based manipulation. Yuck. Bitches indeed.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Have it... couldn't get past the first chapter... It was written in a crude manner. I'm no prude... but jeez... how about a little class... say more than a postage stamp!

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    Even under the spell of CW, I couldn't understand the appeal of all of the fake foods they advocate. Non-fat cream cheese product? Kill me now.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I bought the book when it first came out as a gift for a friend who constantly complained about the foods she ate. Looks are of utmost importance to her and well, she is a self-proclaimed bitch. I bought the book based on the cover; it seemed like just the thing for her.

When I got it home and read it, I was pretty amazed and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Same. Saw it at the book store, flipped through it, and gagged on all the angry meat bashing and guilt based manipulation. Yuck. Bitches indeed.
    The one good thing I did get from this book was that it made me look at the factory meats I was eating and prompted me to do further research and ultimately search out humanely raised and slaughtered meat sources, local farm dairy and eggs and sustainable fishes. For that I am grateful.

However, because of the book, my friend was guilted into sudden veganism which lasted for months until she had a "what the hello?" moment. Rather than offering guidance on how to eat better foods (i.e., not factory foods), the book uses tactics like horrific imagery and basically calling all meat eaters stupid. This is my biggest complaint with SB.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    Have it... couldn't get past the first chapter... It was written in a crude manner. I'm no prude... but jeez... how about a little class... say more than a postage stamp!
    The continual use of the F word made me lose credibility for any message the authors were trying to give in SB. I think they were trying to use humor to get across their vegan message; I was not amused which is too bad as I had bought the book originally based upon its title, the witty cover blurbs and cute chapter headings. The content, however, was a train wreck. And I had no idea that it was a vegan missive.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I picked up "Skinny Bastard" in the bookstore once, and skimmed it the bottom line for their schtick with that one? "Quit eating meat, or you're a pussy". It took me a few minutes to realize that no man was associated with writing that particular tome, and that they had no experiential basis for anything they were writing. Just more vegan bile.

One good thing DID come out of glancing at that book though. I read some of their reviews on Amazon, and came across one written by a woman who had had an eating disorder, she compared the rhetoric of the "Skinny Bitches" with the "pro-ana" rhetoric she used to buy into, citing alot of the vegan dogma as being an attempt to have some control of any part of one's life. It kind of made alot of things clearer to me, as I noticed the same kind of dogmatic nuerosis while I was a raw vegan, and might have been indulging in a bit of it myself.

Ultimately though, it's a waste of time to engage these people. Why bother, why not go out, eat some fatty pork, and find someone cute to screw? Sounds like alot more fun to me. (And besides if they don't like it, we can always just cook them and eat them.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast