Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 Fish oil vs Omega 3 salmon oil - What's the difference? page

MumtazG38 is offline Member

Omega 3 Fish oil vs Omega 3 salmon oil - What's the difference?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed fish oil capsules are priced significantly higher than salmon oil capsules on puritanspride.com....why is that? I mean, salmon is a fish right....so the omega 3 from it shouldn't be all that different. Now, if in fish oil they use a variety of fish to acquire a large quantity of fish oil per capsule...maybe then it would make sense (but even so, it's stupid when you can get the stuff from a single type of fish lol). Do they use more expensive fish in the fish oil variety or something? I'm just trying to understand here, why are fish oil and salmon oil priced so differently.

I want to save as much money as possible buying my supplements so this is mainly why I'm asking. Any and all suggestions towards a site with better deals then puritanspride.com would be appreciated too. But mainly for now, can someone tell me if salmon oil is in any way less superior to the latter and how?

I am looking to purchase fenugreek capsules to increase breast milk production (for my baby of course) and omega 3 capsules to help support my weight loss goals. Any other suggestions on what other supplements I should take to help boost/support my weight loss goals. I lack energy all throughout the day to exercise even moderately. I always FEEL too lazy or tired, or sleepy to exercise...even after 10-12 hours of sleep a day...no idea why, I've always been this way and it hasn't changed much since trying to go primal so maybe if someone could tell me about some sort of supplement that would definitely help with increasing my energy to workout (without that jittery, nauseating feeling) would be great help.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MumtazG38; 07-29-2010 at 04:26 PM.

anyone?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering too. I work at a place that sells both, I'll try and remember to ask on Sunday.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Have you compared the EPA/DHA amounts in the respective brands? You might be getting more bang for your buck in one kind than another. Or is one enteric coated, one not? There could be all sorts of reasons for a price difference besides what kind of fish the oil came from.

About your energy/fatigue issues, have you had your thyroid checked? Or been to see a doctor? Persistent fatigue despite adequate sleep is a key sign of hypothyroidism -- and no doubt many other things. (Though also, you may find doing even a little exercise will give you more energy when you're feeling draggy.)

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    Have you compared the EPA/DHA amounts in the respective brands?
    +1

And in nature (ie fish) we'd be getting more DHA than EPA per gram of fat ingested. Most fish oils are higher in EPA.

I take Now DHA-500. Per gram DHA/EPA it's the most concentrated cost effective product I can take.....so I need less overall.

There is more information in my sig line.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    About your energy/fatigue issues, have you had your thyroid checked? Or been to see a doctor? Persistent fatigue despite adequate sleep is a key sign of hypothyroidism -- and no doubt many other things. (Though also, you may find doing even a little exercise will give you more energy when you're feeling draggy.)
    Well, I thought so also but my doctor about 2-3 years back did blood tests and mentioned that she didn't think that was the case.

hmmm...
    Symptoms of Hypothyroidism (www.endocrineweb.com)

* Fatigue check
    * Weakness check
    * Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight check check
    * Coarse, dry hair check
    * Dry, rough pale skin check
    * Hair loss check check check
    * Cold intolerance (you can't tolerate cold temperatures like those around you) check 10x
    * Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches check
    * Constipation NO CHECK(exactly the opposite in fact)
    * Depression (not now, but a few years back)
    * Irritability WOAH! CHECK BABY!
    * Memory loss no....just foggyness and non clarity sometimes, goes along with the sleepiness
    * Abnormal menstrual cycles CHECK
    * Decreased libido DOUBLE CHECK

IDK, maybe I should get some blood work done again.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    If you're low carbing without any breaks, it can slow down thyroid. Perhaps you could try two carb load meals a week, and see if matters improved.

For energy, I like ubiquinol, a fancy version of CoQ10. I also got a big energy boost when I first started using progesterone cream as I approached menopause, but I doubt it would be good to try hormones if you are going to breastfeed a baby.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune hypothyroidism) is positively epidemic (research shows a clear link to gluten issues, btw -- I highly suspect I got mine from a grain-heavy diet and gluten intolerance). You need a full thyroid panel with T4, T3, and *TPO antibodies* checked. Also your TSH level can be normal but you can still be hypothyroid, and anything above 2.0 can suggest problems. A lot of labs still use 5.0 or is it 5.5 as the upper "normal" TSH limit, but the revised standard is 3.0 -- so I would not at all go one what your doctor said possibly on the basis of just a TSH test. There's a ton about all of this on the web you can research -- thyroid.about.com is a good starting place. If you have this, diet tweaks are not going to fix it!

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Note: Yes, salmon vs fishoil boils down to EPA vs DHA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast