Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optimal Primal page

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member

Optimal Primal

Shop Now
    On pretty much every thread there's someone saying "oh I eat such-and-such" (insert non-primal food) with a sort of "doesn't do me any harm, ya'll are being extreme" attitude that I wonder what the point is at times. Ok, 80/20, yadda yadda, but it's frustrating that on a PRIMAL forum being keen to optimize your results gets bagged or dismissed. Why not just go to some low-carb or Atkins forum? Just because it's not a doughnut doesn't make it healthy!

Is there anyone here who is interested in getting the most out of primal principles, ok sure having the odd cheat or whatever, but in really making sure they eliminate as many toxins as they can and getting the best nutrition for their bodies?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested all right, but not so good at it yet. I do my best.

Ditto, Elwyne. I've had the most pathetic high-carb week - busy and just going 'what the heck' waaaay too often. I think I lost that initial momentum. We're eating out at a buffet tonight which will be great - they do wonderful roasts and veggies so I'll have a massive primal dinner. Next week I'm going to try to eat really clean.

Exercise is still a big issue for me. I've never really been a sprinter and I feel awkward and clumsy when I try to do it. I just feel stupid. I guess I have to get over myself and just do it!

I think keeping up with the research is helpful - I'm getting comfortable with some of the scientific language and reading studies about the damage wheat gliadin does helps me stay off the stuff!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yep that's me. I will eat anything and everything, and exclude anything at all to get the most out of my health. I like all food and I'm not so emotionally tied to particular types of food that I can't just purge my refrigerator from them entirely. What-is-the-point? I'm not so very deprived of all of the wonderus bountiful food that I'm not eating. I really don't care one bit; it's a non issue. So no I don't cheat with grains, seed oils, and sugar, etc, I don't consume fruit or nuts, and if I can help it I'll prepare something the best I can. I have a great thing going and as soon as the sub-optimal junk creeps in I can feel it, even if it is somewhat negligible within my consciousness (not wheat!, ha). Some things that I flat-out don't eat wouldn't exactly shorten my life substantially or put me in the hospital but it definitely makes a difference in how I feel. There is food that promotes optimal health and there is food that takes away from it and my stance on the latter isn't so much dogmatic avoidance but indifference from a culinary perspective. and incompatibility with my goals. It is actually nice to be completely free of the oral fixation that used to plague me. It is a state of calm and extreme emotional stability.

Research is ballin'. Keep it up. I have been slacking on mine as of late.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Word. I am having way less trouble than expected staying off the grains, except: a) it's that fresh-corn-on-the-cob time of year, and b) my husband & I do happy hour frequently, and sometimes I'm hungry and there are no grain-free choices. (I tried to pick the filling out of a quesadilla last night, and it just didn't fly.) That doesn't happen too often though.

I just started sprinting too, and it felt weird at first; now I've got the hang of it, it's awesome!!!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    20% IS part of the Primal Blueprint. If you don't like it go to paleo-diet.com or obsessive compulsive food scares R us.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    20% IS part of the Primal Blueprint. If you don't like it go to paleo-diet.com or obsessive compulsive food scares R us.
    maybe so, but I'm here to focus on the 80%, not the 20%.

I get enough 'obsessive compulsive' type jibes from conventional people without people here constantly banging on about it being just fine to eat a crapload of fruit, nuts and wheat is fine too....

As I said, just because it's not a doughnut doesn't make it healthy.

You go ahead and eat your conventional-diet-minus-grains-and-sugar. Stop getting so snarky if people want something better.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure 20% is optional. If not then that's kind of silly. Would I be able to make my 20% non-compliance consist of not obeying the 20% rule?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Maybe some people think that eating a crapload of fruit and nuts or enjoying your diet is more healthy than being obsessive compulsive about the perfect diet that is based on pure speculation and very little evidence.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    But that's his point. The PB is customizable. What's optimal for you may not be optimal for me. If you want strict adherence to perfection, this is not the forum to get that from, plain and simple. I know that most people's idea of perfection would be eating grassfed meat, but that's not going to happen with me. I also eat twice a day and sometimes go up to 3 or 4 hours after a workout before eating anything. That's not optimal for building muscle, apparently. But I don't care that much. Tell me exactly what optimal health is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast