Thread: Watermelon Sorbet! page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Watermelon Sorbet!

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I bought a watermelon..but that's a lot of fruit for two people to consume :P So I started thinking, and wondered if I could make a primal watermelon sorbet. Turns out it is possible!

It was in fact very simple, so simple that others probably do this kind of thing all the time, but I still thought I'd share Frozen watermelon chunks thrown into a blender turn out creamy and cold and deliciously sweet! It's that simple (told you so!). I haven't tried to freeze the blended watermelon, I've always made just enough for my hubby and me, so that's something you could play with.

But honestly--I don't know if I'll ever go back to eating watermelon the "regular" way-- this was so good!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    watermelon does have a lot of lycopene in it (debate if lycopene is anti-cancer these days); however it is LOADED with sugar. Tons of it. I'm not sure if it is primally kosher. The same reason the primal blueprint doesn't advocate an abundance of fruit -- too much sugar!

I do love it though. However an over ripe water melon is also about the grossest thing I have eaten! (except warm orange juice) so i gird myself with that whenever I miss it

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I understand the importance of limiting fruit because of sugar--that's why I found a way to freeze it, so we can have this watermelon slowly over as much time as we want. Also, the amount of sugar makes it perfect for a primal sorbet because unlike some other fruit I can think of, you don't need to sweeten it all. Given the choice, I'd rather have naturally occurring fructose than something sweetened with maple syrup, agave, sugar, or stevia.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Yes, limiting your fruit is great but we all have a sweet tooth. And, we do need some sugar too, or at least can benefit from it. I LOVE watermelon but just don't have it often.

I will have to try this idea!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    The glycemic load (GL) is a relatively new way to assess the impact of carbohydrate consumption that takes the glycemic index into account, but gives a fuller picture than does glycemic index alone. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn't tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of a particular food. You need to know both things to understand a food's effect on blood sugar. That is where glycemic load comes in. The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI. But there isn't a lot of it, so watermelon's glycemic load is relatively low. A GL of 20 or more is high, a GL of 11 to 19 inclusive is medium, and a GL of 10 or less is low.
    ...Take, watermelon as an example of calculating glycemic load. Its glycemic index is pretty high, about 72. According to the calculations by the people at the University of Sydney's Human Nutrition Unit, in a serving of 120 grams it has 6 grams of available carbohydrate per serving, so its glycemic load is pretty low, 72/100*6=4.32, rounded to 4.
    SORBET IT UP BABY. When you start pooping pink, you've had enough.

Source: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Sonia is offline Junior Member
    That's so gross. Urine doesn't change color from eating watermelons. For that effect try beets.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ha! He didn't say urine lol. You obviously have never eaten too much watermelon.

I eat watermelon. Here lately I've been buying one every week. Of course, that will only continue for a few weeks during the summer. Eating my share of 6-8 watermelons per year is hardly worth worrying about. It's got a lot of sugar for fruit but it's got nothing on the Dairy Queen menu. I don't consume sugar from any other sources. Even when I have overdone it on watermelon to the point of the pink pooping (lol) I was still within 100g carbs for the day.