Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Meds page

STA
    STA is offline Junior Member

Sleep Meds

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Anyone been on sleep meds before?

I have a huge sleep debt to pay and can't get more than 2-4 hours of sleep. I wake up during those 2-4 hours as well.

I've tried all the natural supplements to failure and am going to the doc today to get something to put me out at night - at least for awhile until I can establish a good pattern and then back off them.

My question is about what the trajectory looks like. Are there any changes to your eating habits? Gain/Lose weight without trying? Feel *hungover in morning? Anything surprising?

Another question I would have is if folks have had sleep issues and it turned out to be a cortisol issue or some adrenal wackiness and how/if it was resolved.

Other than sleep I am 97.435% primal for > 1 year and will never look back!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Anyone been on sleep meds before?
    dh takes ambien *every* night.

I have a huge sleep debt to pay and can't get more than 2-4 hours of sleep. I wake up during those 2-4 hours as well.

I've tried all the natural supplements to failure and am going to the doc today to get something to put me out at night - at least for awhile until I can establish a good pattern and then back off them.
    Sounds like a plan. Good sleep is so foundationally important. It's an absolutely requirement.

I've had adrenal issues at times but I was able to workout those issues (irt sleep) with b5, C, magnesium and herbs.

Recently though, while adapting to LC, I didn't sleep for about two months aside from 2-4h per night, often with wakings as you mentioned. I thought I would die. Even ambien didn't help. Nothing did.

Then I did a carb refeed (or basically a weekend of sangria and lemon cake...lol) and after that, the sleep issues resolved.

I'm sure you've done all the other things like blackout curtains, a mask, earplugs, no screens 2h prior to bed etc etc.

Take the meds and don't look back.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    Funny I just posted about sleep in my journal. I've tried all the sleep hygiene tips and herbal remedies to no avail. My next step is to try GABA and 5htp. I currently take Lunesta and would like to get off it.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabetesCanKissMyButt View Post
    Funny I just posted about sleep in my journal. I've tried all the sleep hygiene tips and herbal remedies to no avail. My next step is to try GABA and 5htp. I currently take Lunesta and would like to get off it.
    Have you tried melatonin? I'd try tryptophan before trying 5-htp. 5htp doesn't occur naturally in our diets....our bodies make it from tryptophan. It's generally preferable to supply the raw materials so that we can convert as needed.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Selah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Have you tried melatonin? I'd try tryptophan before trying 5-htp. 5htp doesn't occur naturally in our diets....our bodies make it from tryptophan. It's generally preferable to supply the raw materials so that we can convert as needed.
    +1

Melatonin helped me get off of taking lunesta. It really helps a lot. Sometimes I still have issues waking up "wired" at around 3 am, but magnesium sends me right back where I need to be..........snoozing............

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    Yes I've tried melatonin.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I use Lunesta occasionally--usually when I haven't slept well for several nights. I seem more alert, energetic the day after taking it.

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    Have you been evaluated for sleep apnea? You don't need to be overweight to have an issue with apnea and nothing will help except CPAP... not so bad, I am sleeping 7-8 hours at a shot now (used to wake every 2-4 hours)
    Also, Have you read Lights out: sugar, sleep & survival by Wiley?

STA
    STA is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all!

Just saw the doc and we have a plan.

ORBren: doc didn't mention anything about sleep apnea. I'm giving the drugs 2 weeks and if they don't help me sleep I'm going back and I will mention apnea. I have not read that book but have heard Robb Wolf and Andy Deas talk about it a ton on their podcast. I'll have to pick it up. I know they talk a lot about waking up naturally but thats hard to do when you have a 2 or a 4 year old jumping on your chest at 5:45AM!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    Thanks all!

Just saw the doc and we have a plan.

ORBren: doc didn't mention anything about sleep apnea. I'm giving the drugs 2 weeks and if they don't help me sleep I'm going back and I will mention apnea. I have not read that book but have heard Robb Wolf and Andy Deas talk about it a ton on their podcast. I'll have to pick it up. I know they talk a lot about waking up naturally but thats hard to do when you have a 2 or a 4 year old jumping on your chest at 5:45AM!
    What did the doc give you? I wish you the best of luck -- sleep issues/insomnia are tortuous, and I've dealt with them all my life. Currently taking 1/2 10mg ambien at least 5 nights a week but wanting to get off. It's the one thing in my life I wish I could change (yes, I do earplugs, blackout curtains, and other sleep hygiene)... UGH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast