Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ostrim sticks: good or bad? page

bmahoney is offline Junior Member

Ostrim sticks: good or bad?

I'm new to the paleo diet, and was wondering about these seemingly too-good-to-be-true protein snacks.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    What is this you speak of? can you attach a link? Ive never heard of it.

OK just googled it. My main concern is the quality of the meat they are using. It doesnt say anywhere on the site, so I would suggest calling them and asking. Also, it gives nutrition facts, but not ingredients. I would also ask them what other ingredients are being used to preserve this product and extend its shelf life.

report back your findings!
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-29-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    @lmyers04: It's ostrich jerky.
    http://protos-inc.com/FoodForThought.htm

It's not the worst thing to eat. It's high protein. Not high fat, though. I mean, if you're gonna eat jerky, it's probably a good substitute.

lots of mass-produced jerky has crap in it, though. Have you read the ingredients on Jack Links brand Jerky? Its insane. HFCS and vegetable oils are included. bah! Thats why I always say you need to find out EXACTLY what they put in those sticks before eating them. They dont say on their website, so I still say call em up! And all commercially produced jerky will have some sort of preserving agent in them, by law they have to. And, is the meat hormone/antibiotic free(it says its a beef/ostrich blend)? etc etc......( I still would like to try one though. )
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-29-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    They look like a great source of protein to me too. I'm not a snacker but I were and these were around, I'd eat em.

god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*

but really, find out as much as you can before you start eating something prepackaged on the reg. Even if its glorious, glorious meat.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    I do buy them sometimes just to eat when I'm really hungry and there's nothing else around. If I am traveling, I'll keep a couple on me just in case and it's better than having to try and find something in an airport, gas station, etc.

Does anyone know in general the quality of ostrich farms?

MightyMite is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*

but really, find out as much as you can before you start eating something prepackaged on the reg. Even if its glorious, glorious meat.
    www26.netrition.com/ostrim_page.html

I used to order these frequently from netrition.com, but have stopped since I read the Nutrition Facts and saw stuff like Nonfat Dry Milk and Sucralose (granted, that one is at the end of the Ingredients listing). Sorta meh about the Sodium Nitrite. I'm sure there are better choices for jerky/pemmican.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=lmyers04;171074]god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*QUOTE]

hahaha....

No you bring up good points....but I'm going to say generally an ostrich jerky with pretty good quality is better than some other crap that is out there. No, it's not as good as home made grass fed buffalo jerky....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=Nick "the Caveman" M.;171083]
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*QUOTE]

hahaha....

No you bring up good points....but I'm going to say generally an ostrich jerky with pretty good quality is better than some other crap that is out there. No, it's not as good as home made grass fed buffalo jerky....
    Ive been reading up on some homemade jerky recipes, and plan on buying a dehydrator next week, maybe. I have a 10 day trip to a remote town in Colorado with family planned in a few weeks, to do some fishing and hiking, and they tell me ill pretty much be on my own food-wise, since the only restaurant in town is like a pizza place or something. I plan on making a lot of my own jerky! Im pretty excited. I will also eat some fresh trout, but that depends on if we can catch some! And a week without beef is.......not an option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast