Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost weight & fat eating terribly! page

jrc64 is offline Member

Lost weight & fat eating terribly!

In a nut shell, I basically eat roughly 85%-90% primal. diet over the last few weeks has been pretty steady.

Breakfast - Organic eggs with butter
    Lunch - large salad with veggies, some form of protien and balsamic/olive oil dressing
    Dinner - meat with veggies.
    Perhaps a glass of wine later in the evening.

OK, I basically was stuck at 179lbs and 14.2% body fat for quite a few weeks. Then last week, my in-laws came to visit on Wed. and stayed through sunday. Saturday was my sons Graduation party so I did plenty of prep work.

Here was the menu on Wed. through Sunday:

Wed: Late breakfast of eggs and butter/ NO lunch/3 slices of pizza for dinner with 2 beers
    Thursday: Late breakfast of eggs/No lunch/grilled chicken and salad for dinner. Also had a couple of beers with my brother in law.
    Friday: very late breakfast of eggs/no real lunch. Picked at some chicken salad/2 turkey burgers and a hotdog for dinner. A few glasses of wine later that evening.
    Saturday (Grad party) - Very late breakfast once again of eggs with butter/no lunch/smoked pulled pork, chicken for dinner with around 5 beers througbout the day.
    Sunday: Here's where it gets weird. Had eggs, cheese 7 bacon on a bagel for breakfast/no lunch/ dinner was left over penne a la vodka AND penne with brocolli. Also had a scope of ice cream and slice of cake from the day before. (must say....I enjoyed the bagel and pasta!!!)

OK...then Monday and tuesday were back to usual. When I weighed in on Tuesday, I was at 177 and 12.7% fat!!! I actually lost 2 lbs and 1.5% fat while eating bad for those few days!! Weight loss was nearly all fat.

The only common denominator i see is that I ate no lunches during that stretch of days. Also, I suspect the heavy carb load day played a part.

I'm curious as to what others think about this and what may have contributed to this.

By the way...workouts remained consistant throghout.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Well, there are people out there who swear by carb and or calorie re-feeds as a fat loss tool. Could explain it.

More importantly, how are you measuring your BF %? If it is any kind of bioelectric impedence device, then I wouldn't read too much into it. I have one on my scale that can flutuate by 2-4% within the same day.
    Last edited by Clint; 07-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Extended overnight fasts due to late breakfasts and long breaks between meals by skipping lunch -- the power of IF. Had you avoided the grains and sugars the results would likely have been even better. If forced to choose between IF and Primal, methinks I continue to IF. But the combination is the real sweetspot for me.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Well, there are people out there who swear by carb and or calorie re-feeds as a fat loss tool. Could explain it.

More importantly, how are you measuring your BF %? If it is any kind of bioelectric impedence device, then I would read too much into it. I have one on my scale that can flutuate by 2-4% within the same day.
    +1 I hope it sticks. 2lbs in a couple of days could be water weight too :-(
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    also, fat loss isnt as linear as we think. its not as simple as "i ate x today and I lost weight the following day so x must have caused the weight loss" Fatloss occurs in stalls and stops, mostly, and this recent drop in body fat could just as plausibly be caused by your good eating the week prior, not necessarily the bad eating week at all. Also, water has ALOT to do with "apparent" fat loss:

From a Lyle Mcdonald article on the physiology of fat loss:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

------->"Many people have noted that fat loss is often discontinuous, that is it often happens in stops and starts. So you’ll be dieting and dieting and doing everything correctly with nothing to show for it. Then, boom, almost overnight, you drop 4 pounds and look leaner.

What’s going on? Back during my college days, one of my professors threw out the idea that after fat cells had been emptied of stored triglyceride, they would temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time frame, the water would get dropped, the fat cells would shrink. A weird way of looking at it might be that the fat loss suddenly becomes ‘apparent’. That is, the fat was emptied and burned off days or weeks ago but until the water is dropped, nothing appears to have happened."

and, regarding your alcohol consumption for the week:

"Finally, many have reported whooshes (sudden drops in body fat) following an evening which included alcohol. A mild diuretic, this would also tend to implicate water balance issues in the whoosh phenomenon."

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Seconding lmyers.

jrc64 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    Extended overnight fasts due to late breakfasts and long breaks between meals by skipping lunch -- the power of IF. Had you avoided the grains and sugars the results would likely have been even better. If forced to choose between IF and Primal, methinks I continue to IF. But the combination is the real sweetspot for me.

Forgive me, but what is "IF". Does that mean increased feedings?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    also, fat loss isnt as linear as we think.
    Good post. In a weight loss group on another site a couple people seem to respond a week behind their diets. Eat smart for a week, nice results a week later. Then they eat stupid and think they get away with it, but the next week they pay regardless of diet.

This is an interesting mechanism to me. I seem to respond instantly.
    Last edited by Grol; 07-29-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Clint is offline Senior Member
    IF = Intermittent Fasting

jrc64 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I acutally orginally suspected that my good eating habits were catching up with me. However, if I can get away with a nice pasta dinner once per week, still lose any unwanted fat and remain healthy....I'll take it. Anyhow, I'm back on my regular eating schedule, so I'll continue to monitor progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast