Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Money money money... page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

Money money money...

Primal Fuel
    So, being primal, my monthly food bill is about 400 dollars for two people ( me and my husband)

this is alot and really starting ot be noticeable.

We try to buy mostly organic and good quality meat and fish. but I am always going to the market, i look at teh dry rice that has been in my cupboard for the last 3 months and think about using it to save money.

Any tips for reducing the budget - ways to save? certain veggies that it isnt important to buy organic?

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    $400? Shoot that's what I'm aiming for in a month right now. I know there is a "dirty dozen" list on this site somewhere that has the twelve fruits/vegetables that MUST be bought organic (for reasons involving pesticide use by farmers), but don't know where it is right now. Outside of those twelve you may be able to have some success buying non-organic.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to be nosy and ask what are you buying?

I often hear of people spening a lot on groceries... and well.. I don't. Though lots of people do (even with CW I know peeps that spend $700 a montn in food for their families).

Having some idea of what you're buying will help get some constructive ideas that you can pick and choose from.

I do know that many people who do spend more now see it as a health issue.. and cut back on other stuff that isn't really as NECESSARY in order to make it work without killing the budget. So that might be a thought as well...

I know that when I first started eating well (even before Primal) there was a curve because I had to get a lot of things in my kitchen I had never had before, and that did cost some $$ (which I spread out and prioritized!).

Also, is that $400 just for FOOD, or also including other groceries (just checking!).
    Last edited by Minxxa; 07-29-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: forgot something, d'oh!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Onions, and garlic flat out don't need to be organic. (Onions are probably my most consumed vegetable.)

I pretty much don't buy much organic produce. I got cabbage for .39 cents last week, try matching that organic.

I buy my grass fed beef from the farmer's market, and although it's more expenseive than conventional, I priced it out, and it's cheaper than whole foods organic grain fed beef.

I buy pork, chicken, and bacon all from conventonal sources, and I shop around. I was just down in chinatown on tuesday, and was asking myself "why do I bother buying meat anywhere else?" I don't eat much chicken (once every 1.5 weeks?) I buy my bacon at various westside stores that have cheaper meats, and I shop around for who has the cheapest eggs, got 'em for .99 cents yesterday in chinatown. (At a store that didn't have the best prices for meat, or cabbage.) Whole chickens are generally cheaper, or drumsticks.

I take fish oil to offset the omega ratios in my non-pastured pork.

I indulge and buy myself shiitake mushrooms to add to my food, yay nutrition.

If I push I can get my grocery bill down around $25-$35 a week. I make stew, eat ground grass fed beef instead of steaks. IF some.

I have kicked around the idea of getting a chest style freezer, but so far no go. When you buy meats in bulk it gets cheaper, people have recommended varous folks to get meat from online- U.S. Wellness Meats?

Good luck, there are some threads here 'bouts try using the search button to turn them up.

...also cheapest meat I've found so far... PORKNECKS!!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    ...oh yeah, and Sardines, and Kippered Herring are teh awesomeness.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Are you buying many "accessory" foods? Like coconut oil, nut butters, nut flours, and other "fun" foods? If so, I recommend trimming those first since they have such a high cost per unit/calorie. Focus on meats and veggies. If you already are, then you can disregard this.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    For my household of three people (self, husband and partner) I routinely spend about $600 a month, and that's buying CAFO meat because frankly grass-fed is four times as expensive and that ain't gonna happen. Primal is expensive; there's no way around that.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Like DarthCupcake said, it isn't necessary to buy organic. It's not necessary to buy grassfed. Buy whatever vegetables you can afford and wash them well. If you buy CAFO meat, then make sure to take a fish oil / omega 3 supplement. You are better off with standard produce and meat than you are with the highest quality grain products. The two things I would splurge on would be coconut oil and the fish oil.

Consider adding butter to your meals and eat maybe twice a day.

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely spending less on food, because I'm eating a lot less, hardly ever eating out, and rarely drinking anything other than water (okay, iced coffee, but most of the time I make it myself)

I eat a lot of eggs. And no, I'm not a big egg lover. I always get them cage free, ideally not "vegetarian fed."

I eat cheaper cuts of meat: pork shoulder, london broil (rather than steaks). In fact, one pound of London broil lasted me for about 8 meals two weeks ago because it was pretty tough. It was too much of a workout eating it! It made me realize that I don't need a huge amount of meat at every meal to be full.

I don't usually do organic veg due to the budget. I also don't buy things like nut butters or flours...
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, nut products of all kinds should be considered luxuries or rare indulgences. Only healthier than rare indulgences of ice cream or whatever.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast