Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny-Fat chick needs help getting started! page

BarefootExplorer is offline Junior Member

Skinny-Fat chick needs help getting started!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting in the forums, although I have been a a reader here for a few months. I have been eating mostly primally for about 6 months, but I have yet to take the plunge into the fitness side of things.

Here is some back story. I am 23 and female. I am 5'1 and weigh about 95 lbs. Surprisingly, I still have a lot of flab. I have a 21 month old son, and I have managed to lose all the pregnancy weight through eating primally. The problem is that I am physically incapable of doing many things that I want to do. I feel very weak. I have been like this my whole life. I was a major nerd (still am) growing up, who was constantly picked on by the jocks. I equated playing sports with being heartless, brainless, and uninteresting. The only way I got through this time was telling myself that it was ok that I was bad at sports because I could write poetry and they couldn't. I vowed never to put myself in harms way again, meaning sports and me just don't mix.

So here I am as an adult, and I really want to get fit, but it is very hard for me both mentally and physically. I get so out of breath and my chest hurts after even a slow, short jog (We are talking about running down one side of a soccer field) When I try to push myself, I often snap emotionally because it takes me back to 8th grade gym class. Kind of ridiculous, I know...

My goal is to not feel weak anymore. I would like to be able to rock climb, go for longer hikes and still be able to enjoy the scenery, and not getting excruciating leg cramps every time I have sex. I would like to be able to master the monkey bars.

I need some serious help getting started. So far my plan is to start with Mark's basic workout.
    Sunday - sprinting
    Monday - lift heavy things
    Tuesday - move slowly or rest
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - move slowly or rest
    Friday - lift heavy things
    Saturday - move slowly or rest

I am hoping to go for a hike on at least one of the rest days, and to possibly incorporate yoga and climbing in there somewhere. I was thinking of doing yoga on rest days, and occasionally substituting climbing on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays.

How does it look?
    Thank you all so much for your help!

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Your plan looks pretty good, judging it only as template. My only suggestion, based on your own sef-fitness description, would be to make Wednesday either HIIT or sprinting (which is a HIIT workout) and remove sprinting from Sunday. At least for the start.

Remember, your battling 23 years of inactivity, this isn't going to happen overnight. Just take it slow and the gains will come.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootExplorer View Post
    The problem is that I am physically incapable of doing many things that I want to do. I feel very weak. I have been like this my whole life. I was a major nerd (still am) growing up, who was constantly picked on by the jocks. I equated playing sports with being heartless, brainless, and uninteresting.
    +1 But thank goodness in my school it was cool to be smart.

I get so out of breath and my chest hurts after even a slow, short jog (We are talking about running down one side of a soccer field) When I try to push myself
    Then don't push that hard. If running is too hard, then walk. If walking is too easy, walk faster. Find and occasional hill to walk up. But find a mix between "I feel like I did something" and "omgi'mgoingtodie". Figure out what is *just below* that level and only do that. And maybe workout at home so it's not stressful from a 'people are watching' perspective.

I do bodyrock.tv stuff. it *way* kicks my ass and I can't even come close to doing what she does (let alone in the time that she does it) but I've seen major gains in just a few weeks. she shows modifications for beginners, it's free and you can do it at home - ideally first thing in the day before your baby is up

It also sounds like you're severely vitamin d deficient (ie the weakness you describe). This is too major to ignore. Please take it seriously. My linked document below will give you the info you need on vitamin D.

My goal is to not feel weak anymore. I would like to be able to rock climb, go for longer hikes and still be able to enjoy the scenery, and not getting excruciating leg cramps every time I have sex. I would like to be able to master the monkey bars.

I need some serious help getting started. So far my plan is to start with Mark's basic workout.
    Sunday - sprinting
    Monday - lift heavy things
    Tuesday - move slowly or rest
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - move slowly or rest
    Friday - lift heavy things
    Saturday - move slowly or rest

I am hoping to go for a hike on at least one of the rest days, and to possibly incorporate yoga and climbing in there somewhere. I was thinking of doing yoga on rest days, and occasionally substituting climbing on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays.

How does it look?
    Thank you all so much for your help![/QUOTE]

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You might find yourself too sore to lift after sprinting for a while. Why not try something like:

Lift
    Off (or hike)
    Sprint
    Off (or yoga)
    repeat

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Minor point- Any activity that you ACTUALLY do, beats the hypothetically perfect work out program you don't get around to doing, and end up feeling guilty about. Check out some of the body weight routines floating around here, that way you'll always have something you could do if you feel like it.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    The first couple weeks are going to be very hard. I imagine your muscles have never been broken down before and to you it will feel like a foreign disease. This will be quite a challenge.

How is your diet? You will need a lot of protein to recover and gain strength.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    About 7 years ago, this was a reasonable description of my physical state after 35 years of being completely sedentary. Being very petite, I had difficulty with anything heavy.My only concern in looking at your plan is that I don't want to see you burn out. When I was sedentary, I would try to exercise, be very sore the next few days and give up and not go back for several months. My suggestion is to take it slowly and build up the strength. Start by walking, preferrably daily,adding 10 minute increments working the walk time up. Walking with a stroller is great. Then, I would move to add either low weights or bodyweight only and enjoy the progression as you get stronger. Remember to stretch and hydrate well so that you feel good.

Congratulations on taking the first steps to getting stronger. Good luck.

Thanks everyone!
    I eat about 50-60 percent of my calories in fat, about 30 percent protein, and about 20 percent carbs. This is mostly in the form of vegetables and fruit. I only cheat occasionally, maybe once or twice a week. My protein intake is usualy either eggs or meat. I do include a lot of raw dairy since I am nursing. (I could post a FitDay if anyone is interested) Which reminds me, does nursing mean that I will need to take any special precautions? He is 21 months old, so he only nurses about 3-4 times a day.

cillakat, I am interested to know why you think I am Vitamin D deficient? I suspected that I probably was all winter, because I kept getting sick over and over and didn't get much sun. I have made a point to try to get outside a lot this summer, and so far I have not gotten sick once, so I think it is working. I also occasionally take Cod Liver Oil (the kind with Vit. D) on the days I don't get much sun. Are some of my other issues Vit D related?

I will consider the ideas to make sprinting on Wednesday instead of the HIIT. My plan is to try the Prison Workout. I want to get there first and see how I feel. If I end up only lifting on Monday's and Fridays, would that give my body too much time to recover, or would that be ok? Forgive me, I am very new to this.

gini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootExplorer View Post
    Just wanted to weigh in on the climbing piece. Do you belong to a rock gym or are you doing this outside? I think rock climbing is a great all over and core workout. If you're looking for endurance, top and lead roping are key, while bouldering can take on some of the sprinting aspects. I climb 2 - 3 times a week, sprint once a week, do yoga 1 - 2 times a week and lift once a week. The rest of the time I bike around, hike, kayak, or lay in the hammock. Anyway, happy to answer any climbing questions you may have. You're definitely at an advantage being so light!

I would primarily be bouldering. I wish I could make this my main workout instead of the lifting, but with a 21 month old around, I am limited to when I can find a buddy to go with. I also get nervous without someone spotting me. Hopefully I can make it out there at least once a week. Once my son gets older, it would be fun to start climbing instead the lifting. One question. Do you do yoga on the days you climb or do you alternate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast