Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skinny-Fat chick needs help getting started! page 2

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Keep in mind you get "bigger/stronger" while resting... need to put in "off but active" days in there...

gini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootExplorer View Post
    I would primarily be bouldering. I wish I could make this my main workout instead of the lifting, but with a 21 month old around, I am limited to when I can find a buddy to go with. I also get nervous without someone spotting me. Hopefully I can make it out there at least once a week. Once my son gets older, it would be fun to start climbing instead the lifting. One question. Do you do yoga on the days you climb or do you alternate?
    21 months is a hard age - too old to be strapped into a carrier while you boulder and too young to be let out on his own. I alternate yoga with climbing and lifting. On days I do yoga (I practice astanga, which is a rather vigorous form that includes fun arm balances), I usually only bike as my other activity. Days that I climb, lift or sprint, I also bike. I guess I bike a lot. You could do yoga in your move slowly or rest days?

BarefootExplorer is offline Junior Member
    I like the idea of doing yoga on my rest days. I was thinking of trying to find a yoga video that is really low key. I have done Vinyassa in the past, and I think that it would be too hard for me at this point. I just want something that will give me a good stretch since I will probably be sore.

As far as rest, I am trying to tell myself that I can take any day off that I need to on the schedule regardless of what was planned. I can just pick back up whenever I feel rested enough. I also plan on starting very small so that hopefully one day of rest between workouts will be enough. My goal is to be slightly sore, not dying of pain. Does this sound like a good plan?

Alright, update. Yesterday I went for a walk into town and back with the baby in a stroller. I did the whole thing barefoot. I figure it was about 2.5-3 miles round trip. Then later in the day I went to the mall. I forgot my purse at a store, forcing me to walk to length of the mall about 3 times. The whole thing was very enjoyable. I got slightly sore, but nothing too bad. Today is my first day for "Lift Heavy Things". I am planning on doing Squats, Push-ups, Pull-Downs, Inverted Row, and Lunges. I have the option of doing this all slightly weighted if I want to. I am not really sure how many of each of these to do. Is it better to do a bunch of them unweighted, or just a few with 5lbs in each hand?

phishery is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    The first couple weeks are going to be very hard. I imagine your muscles have never been broken down before and to you it will feel like a foreign disease. This will be quite a challenge.

How is your diet? You will need a lot of protein to recover and gain strength.
    I was going to add the same--if you have never really pushed your body physically it is going to hurt and you will want to make sure your diet is helping you heal (protein) and give you the energy you need (fats). Eating the same diet as pre-exercise can make you feel lethargic and will make recovery harder since it will be using your own body for that.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say if you're donig more than 15 reps... you need to add.weight or leverage.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Alright, update. Yesterday I went for a walk into town and back with the baby in a stroller. I did the whole thing barefoot. I figure it was about 2.5-3 miles round trip. Then later in the day I went to the mall. I forgot my purse at a store, forcing me to walk to length of the mall about 3 times. The whole thing was very enjoyable. I got slightly sore, but nothing too bad. Today is my first day for "Lift Heavy Things". I am planning on doing Squats, Push-ups, Pull-Downs, Inverted Row, and Lunges. I have the option of doing this all slightly weighted if I want to. I am not really sure how many of each of these to do. Is it better to do a bunch of them unweighted, or just a few with 5lbs in each hand?
    start with 5 sets of 5-8 repetitions with 10lbs in each hand

Be sure you use proper form for your squats. As a beginner it will take some practice. Concentrate on perfect form until your stabilizers get strong enough to make it second nature. probably a few weeks-month.

ooh mama your muscles are gonna hate you!

Alright, just did my first weight training!! I think it went well.

Here is what I did:
    Squats: 5 lbs in each hand. 4 sets of 5
    Push-Ups: (girlie version) 4 sets of 5
    Lateral Pull-Downs: 32.5 lbs 3 sets of 10
    Inverted Rows: 3 sets of 5
    Lunges: 10 lbs 3 trips across the living room

I got pretty winded, but I don't think it was too bad. My legs feel a bit rubbery. I don't do this again until Monday. What do you think?

I have a question about diet to those who were encouraging the protein. Let me tell you about what I usually eat protein-wise and you tell me if you think it is enough.

Breakfast: 2-3 eggs, 1-2 links of sausage or 1-2 peices of bacon
    Lunch: large handful of leftover meat
    Snack: nuts, cheese or beef jerky
    Dinner: large serving of meat, usually a pork chop or chicken breast

I supplement all of this with large amounts of veggies, lots of butter and lard, and the occasional piece of fruit or sweet potato. I also drink a glass of raw milk almost every day.

Critiques?

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alright, just did my first weight training!! I think it went well.

Here is what I did:
    Squats: 5 lbs in each hand. 4 sets of 5
    Push-Ups: (girlie version) 4 sets of 5
    Lateral Pull-Downs: 32.5 lbs 3 sets of 10
    Inverted Rows: 3 sets of 5
    Lunges: 10 lbs 3 trips across the living room

I got pretty winded, but I don't think it was too bad. My legs feel a bit rubbery. I don't do this again until Monday. What do you think?
    I think this looks great for your first time! You might get some Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) over the next couple of days, so not lifting again until Monday is probably a good thing. Remember that even your 95 pound body is a "heavy weight" to lift, so lots of bodyweight exercises fit perfectly into that category. There are so many squat/lunge/pushup variations that if you look for them you won't get bored. If you ignore the nutrition information, Body By Glamour (yes, Glamour magazine) actually has great strength training circuits that keep things interesting. You can look it up online and join for free. If you do that, just remember that you can scale it to what you're comfortable with, like 6-8 reps instead of 12, or going through the circuit once instead of twice, etc.

Keep it up, it sounds like you're doing great so far!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12