Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I kick the sugar cravings yet!!! I'm losing my mind here....help me! page

MumtazG38 is offline Member

Why can't I kick the sugar cravings yet!!! I'm losing my mind here....help me!

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so it's been 2 weeks now that I've been trying to go primal and lose some weight by eating no grains, keeping my carbs at less than 100gms, eating healthy fats (need to decide on a way to increase fat intake, as just eating butter and eggs is not nearly cutting it), and good sources of protein and vegetables. I'm having no difficulty with giving up all of the carbs and grains,rice and junk foods....but I'm failing miserably when it comes to the sweet stuff! Even when I'm totally full up after eating a nice primal meal...I try to avoid thinking about it, and distract myself alot...I even try to keep myself far from the kitchen usually locked in my room busy with the baby....but I just can't kick it hard enough!!!

I always end up giving in right at the end of the day before it's time to go to bed and I'm too tired to fight it off any longer, and it RUINS EVERYTHING! Everything I've worked for that entire day (and the days before) just in the trash....probably turning everything else I presumably ate to be healthy into 10x more body fat for me. It's usually something chocolatey....or something like sweetened chai or coffee with loads of cream n sugar! I do well avoiding putting sugar into anything....but when I see a cookie, or some ice cream, or my husbands daily chai....I always steal it. I've tried simply throwing the stuff out and not buying anymore but huge arguments start up when my husband brings something home for himself...and I want it. lol.(embarrassing as it is, it is true).

I've thought about getting some dark chocolate...or making some primal nutella and have it guiltlessly throughout the day when these cravings are about to overcome me......but the recipe calls for stevia (which is still technically a sugar is it not?) I really don't want to mess with it if it is....what can I do to stave off these cravings....I never EVER knew I was so strongly addicted to sugar that I couldn't even fight it out for a day!!! WHEN I'M FULL EVEN!

Any suggestions out there for something that will kick that daily sweet, chocolatey craving right in the butt minus the bad effects and weight loss prevention caused by insulin and the likes! I'm not talking about something with less sugar or something, I mean something that is ZERO on sugar....I don't want to get further addicted to it buy keeping at it. Anything thats worked for anyone....to help kick the desert, something sweet habit???

Please don't tell me to just give up sweet stuff completely for a day or two and wait for the addiction to wear off....because obviously, that's not working now is it. As I try and try....every single day is a challenge...and I always lose the damn challenge!

I know...I ask ALOT of questions on here..... I'm just trying to get it right is all .

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    It's really hard to kick the sweet tooth for a lot of people, including myself. Stevia is not technically a sugar. It is a herb, and your body does not digest it: it does not enter your blood stream. Stevia could be the answer you are looking for. Based on my own experience, I feel better when I can allow myself to have a treat of some kind (primal) and as much as I want. Otherwise, it's not worth the mental craziness. But as for stevia, I personally don't like the taste of it.

My treat is creamed coconut. It's not coconut cream, but creamed coconut and comes in little 200g boxes. Inside the box is a bag of coconut goodness. In the hot weather, the coconut melts and sometimes I clip a small hole in the bag and suck small amounts out throughout the day. I also squish the bag to mix up the layers of oil and coconut and then put it in the fridge to harden. Then I slice off thin pieces and let them melt in my mouth. So good! The medium chain fatty acids act like carbs and give you an almost instant surge of energy but without the bad effects of carbs. You can also mix it with cocoa for a chocolatey treat. Everyone should know about creamed coconut! Yum, yum, yum!

MumtazG38 is offline Member
    Creamed coconut! Added to my grocery list......along with, coconut oil, cocao powder, hazel nuts...and other yummies...that can't hurt...am I right?

I dont know about the stevia though.....what is it really? Know any place where I could get some more "real" info on the stuff and how it racks up PB wise?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazG38 View Post
    Know any place where I could get some more "real" info on the stuff and how it racks up PB wise?
    Mark's take is on this page - the last section in the post:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners/

stevehtcyl is offline Member
    @Beauty: So I've finally found someone that indulges the same way I do. I love creamed coconut and it's so cheap! I can buy a box of 4 sachets for 60pence or about $1 i guess. My only problem is not eating them!!! I can go through a box a day, that's 1200 calories before I've attempted eating anything else. I generally dont eat anything at work, on the occasional 10 hour shift where I do actually get hungry 1 of those sachets really perks me up and gets my energy up again.

Have you tried frying prawns in creamed coconut and butter..... all i can say is "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" :]

dfast is offline Member

wingnut4772 is offline Junior Member
    I did it by eating more fruit in the beginning. I was (am) the biggest sugar junkie. I also have a protein/glucose/ shake PWO that tastes like chocolate milk - but only post workout. That may be taking the edge off because my cravings have all but disappeared.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    as much as you dont want to admit it, you HAVE to stop eating sugar to kick the sugar cravings. You might think this "isnt working for you", but you have never really gone a significant amount of time without sugar, so you cannot say that it "isnt working for you". Continually eating sugar (and grains) is whats not working for you!

Its just like smoking....you just have to quit.

buy some 85% dark chocolate. 6 grams of sugar in 1/4 bar. thats not bad (considering most bacon has 5 grams of sugar per serving) and its super satisfying. Dont eat fake sweetners like stevia(regardless of its health claims), its not going to do you any favors, and youre just going to keep craving sweet things like that.

regarding sugar, you actually cant have your cake and eat it too. Sugar is a powerful craving, and I believe it will always be with us to some extent. Trying to find some "sugar-free" sweet-replacement that is healthier is just not realistic if you want to end your sugar cravings. And its not about enjoying life either.......I firmly believe life can be wonderful and fulfilling WITHOUT sugar........to say otherwise is ignoring the fact that many people on Earth have gone their entire lives without cookies, candy, sweetended chai tea, ice cream, and are completely happy and live fulfilled, exciting lives.

And I wont even get into the fact that excess glucose is extremely toxic to the body, and that cancer cells feed on glucose. Everyone has cancer cells in their body. Everyone. And every time you eat something sugary you are feeding these cancer cells and encouraging them to stay around and grow. Not good.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I agree about total abstinence. I have a terrific sweet tooth, but I gave up sugar to control the pain from my osteoarthritis. Because of my age and medical conditions, I have to seriously restrict calories to lose, and I discovered that I get an insulin response from artificial sweeteners--which increases my hunger, etc. So I gave up all AS as well.

I've never felt better and have no cravings at all.

As long as you 'feed' cravings with sugar substitutes, you will never be free of them.

The OP asked "Help me," but this is a situation in which a person can only help him or her self. It can be rough at first, but anything worthwhile is difficult. People quit smoking because it isn't healthy, and that's the way I feel about sugar--in all its forms.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I kicked my night-time sugar habit by replacing it with frozen berries topped with coconut milk. Its sweet and satisfying but only 5g carbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast