Thread: Help me with how much fish oil to take?!?! page

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Help me with how much fish oil to take?!?!

Primal Fuel
    Ok here's what each capsule contains:

900 mg of Omega 3 fatty Acids

(600 mg EPA, 300 mg DHA)

So how many capsules should I take daily? Thank you!

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    I've been toying with this myself, seen a variety of answers. From getting your daily O3 v O6 intake to a 1:1 level (so, context dependent), 1.0g-3.0g /day, Xg per lb /day.

hmmmmm interesting.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    lil_earthmomma ; it really depends on your current health status. If you have been eating primal for a while now, with lots of grass fed meats etc you should have less than if you are currently still eating foods with lots of omega6. that being said, lots of people want more quantifiable results so ill channel the paleo god that is robb wolf.

Your Weight in Lbs / 10
    Multiply that by 0.7 if you are still eating lots of standard beef etc. or are currently coming off the standard diet.
    Multiply it by 0.5 if your are a bit better than about
    multiply it by 0.25 if you are super fit/eating lots of grassfed meats/ etc.

so if you are 160lbs
    160/10 = 16
    pretty fit = 16 * 0.5
    =8g EPA/DHA

Based on your capsules then I would say anywhere between 5-8 are good.

Thank you paleo_rob that's really helpful. I unfortunately do not eat grass fed meats (hubby and I are both full time students), so that's why I really need to kick it into high gear with the fish oil.

I'm gonna do 8 capsules/day, 4/meal or I guess 8 on days that I only eat one! lol
    Last edited by lil_earthmomma; 07-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Have you considered liquid fish oil? I found it was a lot simpler- and easier to keep track of- if I took mere teaspoons of liquid fish oil a day rather than all those pills.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    I used this calculator and it told me I should be taking 5-10 of my capsules per day (switches depending on which "fish oil factor" value I use)
    http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

Quote Originally Posted by Cosima View Post
    Have you considered liquid fish oil? I found it was a lot simpler- and easier to keep track of- if I took mere teaspoons of liquid fish oil a day rather than all those pills.
    I've been looking into trying that Barlean's orange flavored fish oil but I imagine they add sugar and other stuff to get the flavoring in.

edit: For some reason, their liquid fish oil also contains omega-6??
    Last edited by Marisa; 07-28-2010 at 10:14 PM.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosima View Post
    Totally agree. Robs recommendation - Carlsons Fish Oil has 800 EPA and 500 DHA per 5ml (tsp)!

Thanks for the awesome link marisa!!!

As for liquid fish oil, I'm such a wuss. I started swallowing pills when I was 18 months old, because I would vomit any liquid medicine up. I couldn't even use mouth wash when I was pregnant. (I know totally pathetic. *blush*)

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How exactly does Robb arrive at that estimate? Were our ancestors really just eating a ton of fish and other foods rich in Omega 3s every day? I thought grass-fed beef had a good ratio but wasn't necessarily that high in Omegas. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, are we really getting that many Omega 6's that we need to balance them out with that much Omega 3? I always thought we were striving for a 2:1 to 1:1 ratio. Maybe I also underestimate the amount of Omega 6's we take in generally eating this way? I'd love to take that much fish oil if I need it but it becomes exorbitantly expensive.