Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Water - OH MY LAWDY page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Coconut Water - OH MY LAWDY

Primal Fuel
    Today at Publix I found this:
    CONCHITA UNSWEETENED COCONUT WATER: 11.8 oz.
    INGREDIENTS: Young coconut juice, young coconut meat, water, potassium metabisulphite (as preservative), ascorbic acid (acidulant).

I'm not a fan of potassium metabisulphite as it is pretty much one of the most disgusting preservatives allowed on the market right now, but I bought a can anyways and downed it after my workout.

This is literally the most delicious post-workout drink I have ever tasted. Ever.

I hate I drank the whole can because it was like 31 carbs and quite a bit of sugar, but I am not going to beat myself up over it.

Does anyone else think the cal/carb/sugar profile on this makes it ideal for a post-workout drink, or am I being silly and drinking candy?
    Last edited by Rivvin; 07-28-2010 at 05:20 PM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't think it's ideal, but not too bad right after a workout I guess. My question though is how they can call it "unsweetened" when there is added sugar. Doesn't make sense.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I bet it's very tasty, but no way would I ever drink 31 carbs at any time!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    lol I just realized I copied/pasted sugar from the sweetened version... editing that out.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Today at Publix I found this:
    CONCHITA UNSWEETENED COCONUT WATER: 11.8 oz.
    INGREDIENTS: Young coconut juice, young coconut meat, water, potassium metabisulphite (as preservative), ascorbic acid (acidulant).

I'm not a fan of potassium metabisulphite as it is pretty much one of the most disgusting preservatives allowed on the market right now, but I bought a can anyways and downed it after my workout.

This is literally the most delicious post-workout drink I have ever tasted. Ever.

I hate I drank the whole can because it was like 31 carbs and quite a bit of sugar, but I am not going to beat myself up over it.

Does anyone else think the cal/carb/sugar profile on this makes it ideal for a post-workout drink, or am I being silly and drinking candy?
    Funny, I also just bought coconut water at the store today for the first time. I happened upon Vita Coco and got the pineapple variety, which contains coconut water, coconut puree, pineapple puree, ascorbic acid. 21g carbs in 11.2 oz. The 100% coconut has only coconut water. It was incredibly tasty, and plenty sweet.

You can also get green coconuts at some grocery stores (probably better luck at Asian ones). There's a Korean market nearby that I've seen them at so I may pick one up. They're peeled so it's actually white, thus:

See Wikipedia's article on coconut water.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I'm just so-so about coconut water. Even when it's fresh out of the coconut. But I'll sip on it a bit.

I think coconut water is the new 'in' healthy drink.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    i've tried commercial coconut water - zico (not from concentrate) and water fresh from a coconut and they taste very different to me. don't know why that is.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cemdev View Post
    i've tried commercial coconut water - zico (not from concentrate) and water fresh from a coconut and they taste very different to me. don't know why that is.
    pasteurization. just like fresh squeezed oj and pasturized oj taste different.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

gini is offline Senior Member
    I drink pure coconut water sometimes after a really tough day out when I know I'm super dehydrated. Or if I'm doing an all day workshop in a hot yoga room. I like the Vita Coco brand. It's definitely not an every day thing, but it's a good way to rehydrate for me. Fresh from the coconut is awesome - had some recently in Costa Rica that was darn tasty.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    I drink pure coconut water sometimes after a really tough day out when I know I'm super dehydrated. Or if I'm doing an all day workshop in a hot yoga room. I like the Vita Coco brand. It's definitely not an every day thing, but it's a good way to rehydrate for me. Fresh from the coconut is awesome - had some recently in Costa Rica that was darn tasty.
    +1. It is awesome for rehydrating. And it is the ultimate hangover cure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast