Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'poo-less and loving it -- conditioner/oil suggestions? page

rozska is offline Senior Member

'poo-less and loving it -- conditioner/oil suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    Today is day 18 of going 'poo-less the second time. Can't believe how nice my hair is. (Also almost 30 days now of going w/o soap. The acne that's always bloomed across my back is gone.)

Since I no longer have chemicals hiding the true nature of my hair, I've finally figured out that it's dry. I have shoulder-blade length hair that when it's properly oiled/conditioned/moisturized is a 3A curl. (Ringlets. I'm telling you. The Universe is laughing at me. It makes me smile every time I see them.) When I don't have it conditioned properly, it's a 2A curl, or straight and frizzy/fly away.

I can't do the baking soda/apple cider vinegar thang -- my hair turned into straw doing that. I used an egg yolk after 1 1/2 weeks, and that removed what grease I had without making my hair dry.

However, and here's the question -- in order for me to keep my curls, I need to put oil or something on the ends of my hair, if not every day, every other day. I'm not thrilled with how often I need to use oil. I've been using a boar bristle brush, with little results. My hair is just dry and I don't produce a lot oil, so brushing doesn't bring anything to the tips because there's nothing to bring.

I've been using coconut oil, but it doesn't last. I tried pure shea butter, but that didn't last either. Any other suggestions for oil that might last so I only have to use it once a week or so? Or some other conditioning treatment?

Thanks! And also, thank you to everyone for this forum and community and support. It's been an *amazing* resource for me. (Group hug!)
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I've been going without shampoo for just over a month now, and love it! I have noticed that my hair is dry too, and I can't use baking soda because it leaches color from my hair (I have purple bangs ).

Some thoughts---how often do you rinse? How often do you use apple cider vinegar?

For me, I started out rinsing over other day, but honestly, now I can go days without rinsing and it looks great. In the entire month, I think I've done apple cider vinegar only four times (mostly in the beginning, I haven't done it in the past 7 days). I also noticed that ACV was making my hair feel sort of coarse, so I used two egg yolks and it completely restored my hair.

Based on my experience--maybe you're still doing too much to it? Perhaps you could try rinsing less if you're doing it every day?

Hopefully others will have more helpful suggestions--good luck!

I don't use apple cider vinegar at all. It was part of what made my hair like straw. Water only for 10 days or so, then used an egg yolk. Haven't used anything but oil on the ends and water since then.

Am recording this here so I'll be able to find it later -- a suggested home remedy for dry hair:

Thoroughly combine 1 egg yolk and ½ mashed avocado
    Add enough coconut milk to make a smooth mixture
    Massage into scalp and rinse.

batty is offline Senior Member
    correction: massage into scalp and EAT HAIR. YUM.

if you have any spare CW mayo laying around the house, that works nicely, too. of course, homemade mayo works well too, but then that's egg yolk and olive oil, so.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm.. interesting. I've been no-pooing for about a month now. I do use baking soda, but only rarely, maybe 1 every 10 days or so on the scalp. Not sure what I think about it, though it doesn't dry my hair, I don't think!

I use ACV rinse... it brings out the red in my hair, LOL. But I'm liking the egg yolk suggestion. Might try that this weekend, w/avocado and coconut.. I have all of those.

Currently I'm useing coconut oil on the ends of my hair b4 rinsing. I think maybe it might take more time though for the hair to recover after being subjected to shampoo/conditioner/product for years... (that's just a complete guess I pulled out of my A$$, though)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Avoid blasting your hair to death with hot water. Stick to a medium-cold-ish temperature, and be gentle.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    For those of us new to the idea of no soap/shampoo, can you give a quick primer on exactly what you use/do? I see references to baking soda and cider vinegar - how often? is it necessary? I tend to get itchy scalp after 2 days without a shampoo, but I haven't tried just a water rinse ... I'm game, just don't know how to start

thx!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Try pure jojoba oil, much longer lasting than coconut oil.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post
    For those of us new to the idea of no soap/shampoo, can you give a quick primer on exactly what you use/do? I see references to baking soda and cider vinegar - how often? is it necessary? I tend to get itchy scalp after 2 days without a shampoo, but I haven't tried just a water rinse ... I'm game, just don't know how to start

thx!
    I use nothing but water and it works great for me, I just scrub the scalp with my fingertips for a minute. It did take me 2-3 weeks initially for everything to level out. The first week was a very itchy and oily one. I do occasionally throw a little coconut oil or jojoba oil on the ends when needed if they get super dry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast