Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whey: What is it good for? page

elwyne is offline Senior Member

Whey: What is it good for?

Primal Fuel
    I made my own Greek yogurt this week, and I saved the liquid whey byproduct. Is it good for anything? is it healthy/unhealthy? anyone know? I've heard it has proteins, but I've also heard it has sugar, and I wonder if they balance each other out.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You can find whey that does not have sugar or sweeteners too if you look for it. All The Whey has some that you can under unflavored and it's pretty much just protein.

Alan M is online now Senior Member
    You should pick up Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions to learn how to ferment vegetables and condiments. Liquid whey is one of the basic ingredients. I recently made some sauerkraut from the whey I drained from some plain, whole milk yogurt to make yogurt cream cheese to put on my omelets.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I've used it as part of a soup base.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Post workout snack?
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

reamz is offline Senior Member
    i second using it to ferment veggies...just today i put sliced cucumber in a jar with salt, chopped dill, and water and whey to cover...in a few days i'll have dill pickles!

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I keep two kinds in the fridge. As I understand they are fine for several months tightly sealed. One is thermophilic from yogurt, the other is mesophilic from buttermilk. One ferments at higher temperatures and they yield different flavors and different products. I use them for making more yogurt (two tablespoons makes a quart), creme fraiche, cultured butter, yogurt cream cheese, sour cream, and a widening variety of cultured veggies. Right now carrots, onions, and serranos are finishing up (spicy probiotic goodness). Sour kraut has been simple. I started this PB gig with leaky gut, inflammation and some serious stomach pain. Just this last few days I feel like it is completely healed. I was told it could take six months, but I cannot wait to see my next CRP, and I give a ton of credit to fermented foods. I can't say it was bigger than dropping grains, but who knows? It's also been a ton of fun to make this stuff. Live liquid whey is the catalyst to all of it.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Well I am completely excited about trying fermented veggies!!

Does anyone have any favorite recipes? Simple ones - I'm kind of a moron in the kitchen...

Thanks everyone!!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's plenty of good ideas online. That's how I started.

My only advice is make sure the water you use is pure, and use a little extra whey the older it gets. It seems to be fading in my fridge a little faster than expected. I have a reverse osmosis system for my salt water aquariums and I have been tapping into to it for pure water, because my tap water has failed a ferment. Stephan Guyenet boils tap water then lets it sit out for 24 hours. I'm pretty sure that would work too. Bottled water is probably fine, but I refuse to buy it on principle.

I've mentioned a few times around here that my 83 year old mom loves hot dogs. She loves them with kraut and mustard. We have four people in this house going through a half gallon of kraut every ten to 14 days. I got yelled at when we ran out because "the store bought stuff is awful" says the 83 year old who ate Klaussen brand for decades. My kid has her friends eating it. My ingredients are one medium carrot, one small white onion, a quarter cup of whey and two tablespoons of sea salt per head of cabbage. Follow instructions in any of the links in the link. Good whey does the job in three to four days stored in a cool place. It seems to peek in flavor in about 6-7 days. That's 3-4 to ferment at a cool room temp, and 3 more days in the fridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast