Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating!!!` page

Cristina is offline Junior Member

Frustrating!!!`

So I've really been pissing myself off lately. I am the heaviest I've been in my life and I hate it! I want to lose some weight so bad! So I've been exercising everyday doing some really great stuff but eating is my problem. I love food. Yesterday I was so determined I ate only primal foods and really felt good. And then today I just completely blew it and ate peanut butter and jam toast and pasta and cereal and all sorts of crap that is just making me feel awful! No one can lose weight eating as much as I did today. Why do I have such a hard time with will power and food?!!!!

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    There's a lot of posts like this on the forum. A lot of people struggle. Just start again tomorrow.

I don't know what your personal 'issues' are around food, and there can always be emotional things going on, so there may be some things there that you need to address. Identify your danger periods/triggers, and find ways to avoid them.

The other big thing is that conventional eating starves you of nutrients and stuffs up your metabolism and hunger/satiety mechanisms. So at the start, it CAN be really tough, especially if you haven't been eating 'well'. Your body is craving good nutrition, and if you've been eating high carb - which most of us have - chances are your brain's wiring that says 'I'm full' is affected.

So just take a breath, let go of the mistakes, and keep moving forward. Make a better decision next time. Possibly allocate yourself a cheat-half-day so you can say "no, I'm only having that on saturday afternoon" if that helps. (Personally I prefer not to, but it's one of many strategies)

Make sure you take some omega 3 supplements and vitamin D (possibly a multi too) and have lots of primal food on hand and if possible, pre prepared - better to splurge on a roasted sweet potato than a bag of potato chips, right?

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    80% of the weight loss is what you eat! You can exercise in the gym as much as you want (not reccomended) if you cant control your eating you will be fat the rest of your life. It you to decide... Love the food or fat the rest of your life? Cant have both... And its only you that can answer for yourself.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Agree totally about weight loss being more what you eat than the exercise--I'd say at least 90%.

You need to promise yourself primal eating for at least 2 weeks to kill the urge for those starches. If you have a strong addiction, you should go as low carb as possible--limit yourself to fish, meat, eggs, along with butter for cooking. Two weeks should eliminate the physiological craving for grains and starch, but you'll have to deal with the psychological cravings which can also be strong.

I just keep reminding myself how bad such things are for me, and that controls any 'urge' I have for the food from the dark side.

wingnut4772 is offline Junior Member
    I am familiar with your struggle. You just have to keep plugging it and dig at why you are self sabotaging - because that's really what it is about. Once you let that go things should improve but only you can answer that. No one here can.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    80% of the weight loss is what you eat! You can exercise in the gym as much as you want (not reccomended) if you cant control your eating you will be fat the rest of your life. It you to decide... Love the food or fat the rest of your life? Cant have both... And its only you that can answer for yourself.
    Whoa whoa whoa, hold on here, "Love the food or fat the rest of your life"?

It's not a matter of loving food or loving being skinny... its a matter of learning what other kind of delicious foods are out there. Three years ago I would have told you that zucchini could suck it and don't ever put it on my plate. Today, zucchini cooked in butter and garlic is my favorite side dish. If anything, living the Primal Lifestyle should be about promoting the delicious foods they CAN eat!

So many people are so used to the conventional foods they forget how amazing a perfectly cooked steak is, or how sharp the spicy bite of a good curry tastes, or how the luscious silkiness of a coconut flour chocolate cake melts in your mouth! The day we start telling people that they have to choose between loving food and loving being skinny is the day we become weight watchers.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, hold on here, "Love the food or fat the rest of your life"?

It's not a matter of loving food or loving being skinny... its a matter of learning what other kind of delicious foods are out there. Three years ago I would have told you that zucchini could suck it and don't ever put it on my plate. Today, zucchini cooked in butter and garlic is my favorite side dish. If anything, living the Primal Lifestyle should be about promoting the delicious foods they CAN eat!

So many people are so used to the conventional foods they forget how amazing a perfectly cooked steak is, or how sharp the spicy bite of a good curry tastes, or how the luscious silkiness of a coconut flour chocolate cake melts in your mouth! The day we start telling people that they have to choose between loving food and loving being skinny is the day we become weight watchers.
    jesus. amen, brother. it is SO much better to have a good, healthy relationship with food and celebrate the delicious, nom-tastic things we can create with this lifestyle. food is good. food is tasty and awesome and i love it.

the lean saloon has an excellent post on the topic and i refer to it often:

http://theleansaloon.com/2010/05/19/...ation-of-food/

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Just throw away or donate all of your non primal foods like the grains, sugar, cookies, pasta etc. If you don't have it in the house you can't eat it. Good luck

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    @rivvin, yeah, you are right, but at this point, for her making the difference she needs to learn how to control her eating first, how to pursue in an IF, things like that. At this point in time she binges big time. Willpower, not learning about leptin will do the trick. First things first. Then, after willpower is not an issue, we can talk about nouances.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My little bit o' advice...

First, do research on primal recipes (you can search the recipe section here, and the blog posts regarding recipes) and maybe get the cookbook if you can and get a collection of food that looks absolutely AWESOME to you. Then eat that... you will LOVE and look forward to your meals, AND they will be primal! There are some really ridiculously delicious meals around here and you would never feel like you were "giving up" anything by eating them. And primal treats... make some TREATS. So you can indulge that "cookie" craving with Joyful Abode's Almond Chocolate Chip cookies. Totally primal.. and even my KIDS like them, LOL.

Second, make VERY sure you're getting enough good fats. At first, whenever I found myself hungry... I'd check and it'd be because I hadn't had much fat that day. Fat is your fuel.. it's what fills you up. It's what helps your body regain the ability to sense "fullness", and make you not hungry for hours. Plus it's tasty! Adding coconut oil to things is a good way to add fat w/o too much effort...

Third, don't worry too much about the calories/tracking/etc for a few weeks. Right now you're trying to get your body to work on fats not carbs, and it's a transition. Take care of yourself during this transition... you will feel MUCH better when it's done, but don't push too hard about the little things. If you're hungry... make yourself some eggs/bacon, or a salad with olive oil... whatever is primal and sounds GOOD to you, do it. Your body will thank you. There's time after your transition to fiddle with proteins/fats/carbs ratios, calories, blah blah.... for now, shelve it.

And don't be so hard on yourself. You are dealing with actual PHYSICAL addictions to foods... it's not entirely mental and about willpower, there are actual physical things going on making you crave stuff. There may be psychological stuff, too.. but right now you're being slammed by the physical stuff. You don't need to feel bad if you slip. Just readjust and keep moving.

Primal (to me) is about developing an overall healthy lifestyle, based on how our bodies work best. It's not about being perfect, it's about being human.

And stick around and ask questions... there are a lot o' smart (and smart ass) peeps around here who can help with support or guidance, or even venting!

M
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast