Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutritional Causes/Cures for rash around mouth? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Nutritional Causes/Cures for rash around mouth?

Primal Fuel
    My husband has been getting those annoying cold sore/cuts right in the corner of the mouth and it's a pain because he can't open his mouth all the way to eat without them breaking open He had one for MONTHS even when he tried to take good care of it.

They did eventually go away (it seemed random) but they've popped up again and with it has come a rash/breakout around his lips on each side. It looks something like this. We thought it was just an acne breakout, but now I'm not sure what it is! We've tried neosporin, no neosporin, vasline to keep it moisterized, and no vaseline. I'd say he's had the rash for about two months now We thought it might be stress induced (it popped up at the height of moving across country craziness), but we've moved and the stress level has greatly reduced. I also thought it might be a symptom of celiac--but we've been 100% primal except for one day (on our anniversary) for nearly two weeks, so I'd think it would at least start getting better.

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this, or if any dietary changes need to take place to help his face heal?
    Last edited by jqbancroft; 07-27-2010 at 08:51 PM.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    google nut. deficiencies associated with cracks in corner of mouth.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    hanging around for months? Go and see a doctor.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a Vitamin A deficiency

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Looks like razor burn. I can get that if I start drooling in my sleep, try to have him sleep on his back.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses all! Gathw, after a lot of looking at pictures and reading last night, we agree the rash could indeed be razor burn/irritation.

We're still not sure what's causing the cuts/sores in the corner of the mouth. It fits angular cheilitis perfectly (cuts/sores, with a whitisih hue)--but the only causes I've found are iron deficiency, riboflavin deficiency, or celiac. After looking at what foods he needs to eat (meats, leafy greens, dairy) he's definitely got those bases covered!

Does anyone know how long it might take for a symptom of celiac to diminish after going gluten-free? And geekgrrl, you're right, we might end having to see a doctor to solve this.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    My husband has been getting those annoying cold sore/cuts right in the corner of the mouth and it's a pain because he can't open his mouth all the way to eat without them breaking open He had one for MONTHS even when he tried to take good care of it.

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this, or if any dietary changes need to take place to help his face heal?
    Once the skin has sustained any assault (cut, scrape, infection, surgery, burn etc), zinc is rapidly depleted. Zinc may need to be repleted in order for optimal wound healing to occur. Vitamin A supplementation at a *low* level (ie 10,000 IU *one time*)may also help. A produce dominated diet rich in antioxidants is also helpful. If you're not eating liver 1-2x per month, consider supplementing a small amount of preformed A at a rate of about 1:6 vitamin A to Vitamin D. See more in my D document (below) for D doses.

Even while eating the foods you mention, iron deficiency and riboflavin deficiency are not uncommon. Some of us (me!) have much higher needs than are typical.

Consider:
    1)Red meat daily...pork, shellfish, fish, chicken, turkey do not have enough iron for most individuals - especially for active individuals.

2)Organ Meats: in a truly primal environment, we'd have gotten huge amounts of B vitamins from organ meats - and not just liver but pancreas, thymus, kidney, adrenals, b vitamins etc....every single organ, blood, bone marrow, eyes etc.

3)A multi-vitamin - if you're not up for a *wide variety* of organ meats, consider an iron free multi for him and a multi for you.
    Here are my preferences for men and women.

4)B complex to make up for the b vites if you're not interested in a multi -
    great b complex (jarrow b right) best b complex (Jigsaw Active B Complex - time released co-enzymated)

5) Blood tests hct, hgb, serum iron and most importantly *ferritin*

And as long as there's a blood draw involved, test 25(OH)D levels (vitamin d).

My linked document below has important D testing information - most important is to use LabCorp rather than Quest.
    Last edited by cillakat; 07-28-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: formatting; clarity

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Chubbypuppy is offline Junior Member
    OK, I had something similar. Turns out I have an allergy to the antitarter chemical in regular toothpaste. So now I use Toms of Maine or a Baking Soda based one and the problem went away. See a dermatologist. They will be able to let you know what it is.

Drea is offline Junior Member
    I had something similar before. Redness and cracks at the corners of my mouth. Through my research online I also thought it was angular cheilitis. Nothing I did (antibiotic ointment, etc.) made it better so I went to the doctor who said it was a fungus. Told me to make sure I kept it really dry and apply Lamisil AT. I had also read online that Crest ProHealth toothpaste was really hard on your skin and could cause angular cheilitis so I switched to regular Crest. I would use a blow dryer on the corners of my mouth after I got out of the shower or washed my face to make sure they were really dry, then apply the Lamisil AT. It worked...can't remember how long it took, but it went away completely and I've never had it again.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Agreed about the toothpaste. My brother had a similar issue, and switched toothpastes to a non chemical more organic type. It was irritating his sensitive skin. worked!
    but also consider a hormonal imbalance, specifically I believe with progesterone- its usually the number one reason for a sudden breakout around the mouth/lower half of face

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast