Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal clothing page

umuhk Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm a "lifestyler". That is, I don't eat primal for weight loss (although it does that), I don't move primal for "exercise" (although it's great for that); I do these things because I feel more like myself when I do.

So we cover food and movement pretty well on this forum (and others)...what about clothing? Vibram Five Fingers are pretty widespread, and I do like them a great deal, but what about the rest of my body?

There are several issues that can be covered here: clothing made of "primal materials" and in "primal styles", clothing that respects the movements and environments we primals pursue, and of course the option of functional nudity.

For my part I wear little clothing when possible (except my VFFs -- gloves for my feet are a must in this terrain), and I find I'm very sensitive to the fit and feel of the clothing I do wear. I try to find clothes that allow me to move freely yet still provide functional protection and warmth. And I want my clothes to look good, too.

Some clothes that I like:

* Vibram Five Fingers -- foot gloves. 'nuff said.

* Utilikilt Survival -- warmth, protection, and enough cargo space to supply a small village.

* Columbia Lander Pant -- sun protection, durability, discreet cargo pocket, soft feel, and office-compatible looks. And the leg gusset gives freer movement.

I've also experimented with designing and making my own style of clothing. As well, there are some traditional tribal garments from my father's tribe that I've been interested in making.

What about you folks?

maba is offline Senior Member

Interesting thread you've started there, umuhk. We've had discussions about primal laundry and cosmetics in the forum before but I don't think we've covered clothing. I'm particularly interested in learning about your tribal garments, perhaps you could share a picture or two.

If not for the harsh winters here, I'd wear cotton all the time. Cotton is my choice of fabric especially when I visit my home country (India).

maranne is offline Senior Member

Great thread indeed!

For my part I am trying to keep buying new clothes to a minimum, but rather try to use second hand and mend/alter what I already have. I have always had a love for quality materials (leather, wool, cotton, silk etc.) and functional clothes. Since Austria is super cold in the winter and hot in the summer protective clothing is a must and it needs to be carefully considered. I use what I have to in order to be warm/cool with regards to the environment/provenance of the clothes etc.

My primal approach is to recycle and reuse as much as I can.

Marianne

Katt is offline Senior Member

For breathability and comfort, my first choice is linen. Second choice is cotton. I want clothing that is comfortable and allows me to move freely. I also prefer ethnic/tribal styles.

I am considering making my own clothing, so that it fits all of my criteria.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Tarlach is offline Member

I have always been on the lookout for great clothing that works with your body instead of against it. A great find has been Underarmour (http://www.underarmour.com).

The HeatGear shirts are great for the hot weather we have in Australia. They are moisture wicking and this means the sweat goes straight through the shirt and then evaporates to make you cool, without making the shirt feel horrible and wet. I got a couple of the compression (tight) fit black shirts and I live in them over summer.

Yes, black shirts in summer!

It's like having no shirt on, without getting burnt or embarrassed about your lack of clothing when out in public. They are just hard to get out of when you are muscle sore and sweaty.

I also looked for some loose pants for work. I got some Thai Fisherman Pants (http://reviews.ebay.com.au/How-to-We...00000007256447) in Black, but they aren't suitable for the office. At least they will go with my 5F ninja slippers.

So it's back to 5.11 tactical (http://www.511tactical.com) pants in the office.

I also got some black finger socks so that I can wear my black Vibrams to the office and look a little less conspicuous

Otherwise when I'm at home it's just shorts all year around.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

[quote]

Yes, black shirts in summer!</blockquote>

I like it...

http://tinyurl.com/npo5ze

Expensive though. Are they durable?

I also have two pairs of black fishermen pants I got in Goa and are even better than wearing shorts. Wear them with black vans and a black t-shirt and you&#39;ll get an epic ninja look.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

umuhk Guest

@maba:

The tribal garment I&#39;ve wanted to make for a while now is the ehepas, a cloak made of rabbit skins. The skins are cut into strips, and the strips are knotted together into a fabric that exposes fur on both sides. No one I&#39;ve spoken with knows how they were made, and though I have seen one up close, I still don&#39;t know the technique. My best guess so far is something like nålbinding.

@Tarlach, SerialSinner:

Fisherman pants are great. One design I have on paper (but haven&#39;t sewn yet) is a wrap-like pant that combines a long breechclout and leggings into one garment. I&#39;ve seen similar pants somewhere, but I can&#39;t recall where; they&#39;re wrap-and-tie pants like the fishermen style, but they have three points: the two sides, and one piece that&#39;s pulled up between the legs from the back and tied with the others. They appear to be very comfortable.

chaosthetic Guest

nude or loin cloth....

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

yes, fisherman pants are excellent, and ive even gotten away with them at work

in the past few years ive geared my wardrobe as much as possible to linen, cotton, bamboo, wool, leather and fur products and that does give a wide range of choice... the most primal thing i did was making my countrys national costume from 0- ie started from buying wool n linen from local farmers n getting a LOT of help from my stepfathers relatives who still have kept up their skill in weaving.

I love to knit so mostly i make my own sweaters, socks etc.

Its a pity we dont yet have fivefingers available here, but i do have a pair of feelmaxes.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Mick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think footwear&#39;s one of the most important things. I wear wide, heel-less moccasin-type shoes or flip-flops. Sometimes I go barefoot. Most modern shoes are just really bad for your feet.

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfrossi2.htm

For clothing I like natural fibres and have worn those pretty much exclusively for years. I guess I&#39;d make an exception for a breathable coat. I used to have a Gortex one, although I haven&#39;t currently. Round here waxed cotton used to be popular for outer wear. It&#39;s suitable for English weather, which can be cold but rarely biting and often wet. Waxed cotton is less waterproof but warmer than something like a kagoule. But it&#39;s too warm for hiking and grime sticks to the waxed surface.

I found a place that does replica shirts from the past. I&#39;ve got enough shirts or I&#39;d be tempted.

18th-century linen shirt:

http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/show_item.php?itemtitle=Square%20cut%20linen%20C18 th%20period%20shirt&itemcat=shirts&aspect=p

French workman&#39;s shirt:

http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/show_item.php?itemtitle=French%20Workman~s%20shirt &itemcat=shirts&aspect=p

One thing I haven&#39;t done is killed and made my own clothing, like umuhk.

Speaking of which it strikes me that Diana Renata now has the makings of a nice snakeskin belt. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast