Thread: Cholesteral already a poblem page

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I recently started implementing the primal lifestyle, and I've discussed it with my dad.

He thinks it could be good, but not for him, because he has a preexisting cholesteral problem. he takes pills for it and he says that the doctors say he would be at risk of a heart attack if he would get more.

Im wondering if theres truth to that, that if you ALREADy have a problem, smaller veins, previous inflamation, does cholesteral BECOME dangerous?

Tarlach is offline Member

Eating paleo will work towards fixing cholesterol issues.

Eating more saturated animal fat will help create more large LDL and reduce small dense LDL (DLDL). DLDL is the bad one that causes CHD. Eating less carbs will lower triglycerides.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

jpippenger Guest

Here are two articles from MDA you might want to check out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/

If those don't give him comfort, then maybe you would want to suggest he follow a more restricted version of PB by eating only veggies, fruits, fish, and chicken. I doubt any doctor would balk at such a diet.

egmutza Guest

Aren't there a small percentage of people who really are cholesterol-sensitive though? I thought I remembered reading somewhere (Protein Power, maybe?) that, while dietary cholesterol is not a factor for most people, there is a small minority whose livers don't operate correctly to moderate cholesterol. Same thing with sodium and blood pressure, if I recall.

Riceball Guest

if his cholestrole is already high...

he should definitely cut all carbs..

musajen is offline Junior Member

Before I started moving in the primal direction I was concerned about all the fat I'd be eating. After all, I had been eating low-fat for over half of my life and it was pounded into my head that fat was bad.

Ultimately I decided that trying a higher fat diet was unlikely to kill me in the span of a month, so I decided a month would be a good test run.

I'm still not fully primal but fat is no longer something I'm concerned about eating and I think it's at least 50% of my calorie intake now. I don't have any cholesterol comparisons yet - maybe in a couple months - but I have noticed that I feel a lot better. My meals are more satisfying, I don't crash a couple hours after meals, and even when I do get hungry, it's not a gnawing, aching FEED ME NOW kind of hunger. It's present, but not consuming.

So I'd definitely suggest cutting out the carbs and supplementing those lost calories with fat. If he's wary about saturated fats, lean more towards nuts and avocado's and try Cod Oil and Fish Oil supplements. Stay away from vegetable oils. Small changes are better than no change.

matt beaudreau Guest

Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on overall cholesterol in the body. Eat more= body makes less. Eat less= your body produces cholesterol. Have the doctor do a blood test that shows the particle size of your LDL's (as mentioned by Tarlach). If they are "big and fluffy", tell the doctor to keep his pills while you go enjoy a grass fed steak and fresh shrimp.

deepthought is offline Junior Member

Matt B:

I agree!

You can only affect your blood cholesterol levels by around 3% with what you eat. Swedish Doctor/researcher Uffe Ravnsskov's book " Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You", will definetly give all the answers regarding primal lifestyle and cholesterol issues.

twisteddoc Guest

Ravnskov's book is great although it may be hard to find it... Kendrick's The Great Cholesterol Con is also very good, and has more recent research.

I would have him follow the PB with no worries! And would also supplement heavily as per Dr. Davies from Track Your Plaque recommendations... CoQ10, fish oil, vitamin D megadoses...

Check his site and blog. He is primal/paleo friendly and is doing a more than GREAT work with cardiovascular disease treatment/prevention.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/

FYI, my mum had her lipid panel all wrong. I have tried to bring her to the dark side, but she loves her bread... So she eats all primal EXCEPT for a bit of bread everyday. She is also having fish oil. 6 months after starting her "almost primal" plus fish oil = off statins.