Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was craving a banana 90 mins after dinner... page

syzchan is offline Member

Was craving a banana 90 mins after dinner...

Primal Fuel
    which was after a solid workout of some heavy lifting. I had a good dinner of sauteed zucchinis (with butter of course) and 2 small pork rib pork chops (yielding net 52g protein per fitday; total day protein 73g). The craving was associated with some hypoglycemic symptoms (difficulty concentration, mild light-headed). Had eaten about 125g fat and 50g carb (gross).

I decided that maybe my body was telling me I needed some more carbs and ate a small sweet potato (25g carb). After the 3rd bite, developed a mild headache that I don't mind.

So my question, did I make the right choice? I had thought about eating more fat, but that just wasn't appealing. I felt full immediately after dinner, but should I have made myself eat more protein? I find this often happens about 60-90 mins after dinner. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    don't over analyze and just eat the banana? I would have eaten the banana over the sweet potato...but that's just me

Thanks! I think I just needed the reassurance after I got the headache. Only had sweet potatoes lying around, no bananas, but it took away the craving!

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal? I certainly used to have a craving for something sweet quite often after a meal. I have it rarely now, after about 6 months. If I do, a few dark-chocolate covered cacao nibs or half a banana or some berries and cream will satisfy it.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Carb addiction. You need to go through a carb flu and then stay under thirty grams or so to eliminate these.

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    I almost always have a fruit craving after I eat a high fat meal, maybe my stomach needs fruit to help digest or something.. Or maybe it's just a sugar craving idk...

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    There are NO essential carbs, no essential fruits, tubers etc. freddie, what you experience is called sugar addiction
    Digestions doesnt happen in the stomach! And no fruits will ever help any digestion. Unlearn!

Thanks for your replies. I've been primal for a while, normally carbs 30-50g, but just came back from vacation where I indulged in a number of non-primal foods, so maybe it's mild carb-flu. I was debating that there are no essential carbs and maybe should eat some protein, but decided to listen to my body's craving as indication that it wanted some carbs (post-workout) and eating some would save it the effort of converting it from protein. Or maybe I'm low on K+ and Mg2+, as I ran out about 5 days ago. I'll make sure to eat more protein today and see what happens.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    There are NO essential carbs, no essential fruits, tubers etc. freddie, what you experience is called sugar addiction
    Digestions doesnt happen in the stomach! And no fruits will ever help any digestion. Unlearn!
    Not true.

Did you miss this?

"solid workout of some heavy lifting"

You need carbs for that.

I'm tired of the carbophobia in this forum.

Oh, and unless you are 73 pounds, you are not eating enough protein. That, plus low carb, is a sure way to waste away all your muscles.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Not true.

Did you miss this?

"solid workout of some heavy lifting"

You need carbs for that.

I'm tired of the carbophobia in this forum.

Oh, and unless you are 73 pounds, you are not eating enough protein. That, plus low carb, is a sure way to waste away all your muscles.
    +1 I was stuck scale wise for MONTHS eating below 50 g of carbs (35 or less most days) once I up'd my carbs on my workout days, I started losing again. Carbophobia misinformation is definitely rampant on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast