Thread: Raw yogurt. page

tarek is offline Senior Member

Raw yogurt.

Shop Now
    I bought some fresh yogurt from a local farm the other day. At first, it's was completely runny, but now, it's starting to clump. These clumps have a "gritty" consistency. Is this is a sign of spoilage, or is it still good to eat?

As a side note, I apologize for posting so many questions like this, but I'm fairly new to the world of animal foods (I've only been eating meat since February), and I tend to approach new foods cautiously. Haha.

Thanks! :]

shannon is offline Senior Member
    okay, so we used to get raw milk/yogurt from our herdshare group. it was just as you described. they must use some sort of thickener. it should be a-ok;-)
    congrats on makin' the switch!

p.s. just stir real good.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    I make my own yogurt. It thikens especially if refrigerated and by time. Perfectly safe to eat. Enjoy. Look for the level up called Kefir.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I take it doesn't have an offensive smell. I think being quite acid yoghurt doesn't spoil very easily. Maybe their culture's not very good. Or maybe some parameter, such as the heat the yoghurt is "incubated" at, is slightly sub-optimal. When people make yoghurt at home, it's often rather runny. It's evidently a tricky thing to get exactly right. I don't know why the consistency should change - maybe what Shannon suggests.