Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh stupid carb flu! page

Lys
    Lys is offline Member

Ugh stupid carb flu!

So I know I've been over this already and everyone's answer to the carb cravings and feelings of weakness was to eat more fat. Eat more and eat fat. Be full and it'll be easier to get through the cravings... so I did that. And it got EASIER. Completely easier actually. I stopped wanting the bread, enjoyed my eggs instead of cereal, and even made it through a few meals out (including Ben & Jerry's!) while staying primal and under/around 50g carbs. For once in my life, I didn't feel like I was fighting against what I felt I "wanted" and what I felt I "should" eat. I love eating primal and felt great doing it.

Until today. What the heck? Even though I went to bed early and had enough sleep last night, I've spent the whole day feeling sluggish and weak. I ate plenty of fatty primal foods (even most of a pound of bacon) and it did nothing to quell the shaky-tiredness. I tried to up my carbs just a little bit, eating more nuts than usual and some fruit. Still felt crappy... Gave up and had a bowl of cereal and now I feel fine. Actually, no, I feel GREAT. Gah.

I am SO frustrated! It's not even like it was a "craving". I had NO desire to eat it at all. I didn't spend the day going "mmm I want that, must resist...". I spent the entire day trying to make my body feel better and nothing worked, but a stupid bowl of cereal did?

Okay, I don't know what the point of this is. I know, I know, I need to keep at it and I've heard the carb "flu" can last weeks. I'm just frustrated that I was totally fine for days and days and then out of nowhere couldn't function. I guess I'm just posting this to keep myself accountable. I'm trying not to get discouraged.

What probably WOULD have helped? Taking a sick day and spending it curled up in bed reading and sleeping. I probably could've gotten through it that way. Too bad my kids don't let me take sick days. LOL

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lys View Post

What probably WOULD have helped? Taking a sick day and spending it curled up in bed reading and sleeping. I probably could've gotten through it that way. Too bad my kids don't let me take sick days. LOL
    I had a day like this on saturday and I ate Quinoa... at least 100g of carbs worth and felt much better... I think Quinoa was great because its still not a grain and its also a complete protein .

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    It's a process, first and foremost. You will eventually come to a point where it will literally be mind over matter ( food). Carb flu goes away. I had it BAD. for like 3 weeks bad. Could barely function and had to STOP exercising. Your body is going through detox. Like alcohol, or drugs or anything else, toxic food is a DRUG, and it needs to be detoxed from your body. You are doing everything right. Just really rest if you can, move gently, drink lots of water and fight it. it goes away. I promise. Cereal is not what made you feel better..... ending the mental battle did. JMHO.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    maybe you feel great cuzza the sugar in the cereal and milk, not the actual carbs themselves. Can you at least eliminate grains and when you feel like this, and eat tubers and veggies with butter? That way you'll be getting carbs and avoiding the health risks of cereal.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I think that's a great recommendation lmyers!

Also, I've found there to be a huge connection between my cravings/longings for carbs and my cycle. For half of my cycle, I'm IFing all the time for fun, lower-carbing it easily, never have cravings, etc etc etc. The other half, esp for one week, I am ravenous and crave carbs more. I cannot IF or I'll binge on a bunch of carbs. I've never gone VLC, so not sure if that would make those feelings go away, but there is a major difference for me in what I want to eat based on that time of the month... I just find it fascinating and thought I'd share...

shannon is offline Senior Member
    come on, cereal? stop bein' a baby;-)
    fat is satisfying and you will get thru the 'flu' but not if you keep eating crap!!!!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    maybe you feel great cuzza the sugar in the cereal and milk, not the actual carbs themselves. Can you at least eliminate grains and when you feel like this, and eat tubers and veggies with butter? That way you'll be getting carbs and avoiding the health risks of cereal.
    +1

next time you're shaky and weak, go for something like a sweet potato. there's some anecdotal evidence over on this thread as well.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    come on, cereal? stop bein' a baby;-)
    fat is satisfying and you will get thru the 'flu' but not if you keep eating crap!!!!
    I know, right? I'm such a dork. In my defense, I really did try a lot of other stuff first! I was just SO tired and the kids were climbing the walls and I needed to be able to take care of them as well. Whine whine, excuses, excuses. I'm working on it, I promise

I will say, despite the cereal, I'm feeling a big difference tonight then in the past when I would crash and have a sugar binge. This really didn't feel like emotional eating. I don't have any desire to keep eating the crap, to keep digging in the cabinets for cookies or to find that chocolate bar I stashed for an "emergency". I cleaned up the kitchen and turned off the lights and I'm done. I'm heading to bed early and am excited to start fresh again tomorrow.

lmyers - You're probably right, I should've made myself some potatoes or something. That would've definitely been a smarter move.

FairyRae - possibly TMI but I don't actually have a cycle, thanks to nursing and an IUD (most likely just due to the IUD at this point), but it's definitely interesting what you've noticed. I'll have to keep track myself and see if I can find any patterns.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    uh....the carb flu! Short term frustration for long term health and well being!

I and others can't stress it enough. It will go away! When I first started, I had it bad! At one point after breakfast (a high fat/protein, little carb breakfast) it really got me. I had to hold on to something because I was going to fall. I felt EXTREMELY weak and fogging! It wasn't a good experience, I kid you not!

It went away after a week or so. Now, fat gives me energy. I don't need to eat every 2 hours, the amount fat I eat for breakfast keeps me going for a couple of hours!

Right down, you are going to a transition. You HAVE to train your body to use fat as energy, as oppose to heavy carbs. Keep at it, and it pay off in the long run......

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    good luck! my kids were wearin' me out as well when i first started. guess what... i can wear them out now;-)
    stay on track sista!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast