Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: when the celiac excuse fails...... page

terrax is offline Member

when the celiac excuse fails......

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay so I have been using the 'allergic to wheat' [along with sensitive to peanuts/corn/soy] excuse for a while now and it has been working wonders for me. However, there will come times when a friend will get me 'gluten free' [but not grain-free] foods. For example, last night my friend bought be a gourmet rice-flour brownie at a health-foods store to repay me for doing her laundry (which rice isn't the worst possible thing I could have eaten, and all the other ingredients were primal friendly, but still...) even when at the store I said she didn't have to, she insisted. So i grin and bear it and eat it. It wasn't a big deal, but also when we were at the grocery store shopping [for a cheese and wine party], my friends were looking at the gluten-free crackers for me and I was at least able to talk them out of those by saying 'oh don't cater to me- i'm fine with just having the cheese by itself'..... is there any possible way to get out of these situations as well??? right now I guess I just see the benefits or eating a little brownie outweighing the negatives, but just wondering what you guys all do? AND does anyone else have similar stories where the wheat-allergen excuse has failed??

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to say that I eat "whole" "unprocessed" or "natural" foods.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Ya, I'm about to have more of a problem than usual with it...a good friend and his fiancee are moving here, and she is celiac. So she does all of the corn/rice based crackers and chips, potatoes, baked goods, rice....it's surprising how many things are part of a celiac diet that I don't want!

When people are gracious I accept it (I've had gluten free brownies given to me too), but with the other gluten-free "junk food" I generally just claim that it's too expensive and not that good anyway, which is true for a lot of it. Why have a mediocre cracker when meat and cheese is good all by itself? Or when I can just dip veggies into the salsa/guacamole? That seems to work pretty well.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

terrax is offline Member
    @hannahc- ahhh good luck with that one, I don't know what I would do in that situation. yeah it's hard to just tell people about eating primal [especially being in college AND one of my roommates is a vegetarian/environmentalist and everyone thinks she is sooo healthy, ugh!!- not to mention she is the most overweight and has the most acne out of the 10 people in my house.... side rant] so yeah, as you can imagine, just explaining being primal to them isn't really an option if I want to have friends lol.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't mention gluten or celiac--I just honestly say that I don't eat grains--period. If people then say, "Oh, but this is gluten free," I explain that grains don't agree with me--I get heartburn, etc., so I avoid them completely. I've never really had any problem this way. Most of my friends are much too polite to question what I'm eating (or not eating), and my family knows how I eat and tolerates me quite well.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    "I'm unable to eat anything made with or of grains. It's not celiac, but it's similar. My doctor has advised me not to eat grains."

If they won't accept that, hell with 'em.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

terrax is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    "I'm unable to eat anything made with or of grains. It's not celiac, but it's similar. My doctor has advised me not to eat grains."

If they won't accept that, hell with 'em.

haha, that's actually really good I like that one!!! thank you

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest getting less understanding friends... ... what kind of sick human beings try to go out of their way to understand and accommodate, what I can only assume you told them was, your 'condition'... shame on them... what is the world coming too... ...

On a serious note you could try telling them the truth...?... just a thought.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    I just say I'm on a low-carb diet and grains/sugar are not on the diet. People don't question what that means.

Eosapien is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    I just say I'm on a low-carb diet and grains/sugar are not on the diet. People don't question what that means.
    I pretty much say the same thing. I get a lot of bemused looks but so far it seems to be working.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast