Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are too few calories a problem? page

primal-belle is offline Junior Member

Are too few calories a problem?

I have read the book and have been using Fitday.com to track my calories and macro-nutrients. My daily basal caloric rate is 1838 (including my moderate exercise) but I am only averaging 1100 calories of which 32% Protein, 52% Fat, and 16% Carbs (base on the last 2 weeks). I feel great, clear thinking, focused, no cravings and surprisingly full all the time! No hunger at all actually... so should I be concern about the low caloric intake? I am only 4'11 but I am medium framed and muscular. At the moment I am 130 lbs with 30% BF so only 91lbs of lean mass. I would like to drop about 5-8% more body fat so I am not too concern at the moment but I am just curious if over time the low caloric intake could be problematic for my metabolism? hum? Does calories really matter when you are eating primal? or is it just about the balance of macro-nutrients, satiety and finding your own balance and being able to maintain it long term? I have only been eating primal for 2 weeks so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

primal18t is offline Junior Member
    Before I went completely primal a couple months ago, I was eating about 8 meals of day equaling almost 3000 calories! For my 5'10 frame that was ridiculous. I was always fighting the tide with eating and exercising. You are experiencing one of the greatest benefits of going primal, which is being able to have more energy while eating less. Congrats! I haven't counted my calories lately, but I am sure it's around 2000 at 5 meals a day on average.

My interpretation of the PB, is that you go by when you're hungry, feel satisfied not full, etc. and then you know you are getting the best for your body.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I have days like this. I have days where I only eat 900 calories or something......sometimes im just not that hungry! I counter act this with days that are above maintenance though. Just listen to your body, and as you continue to lose body fat and gain muscle, your hunger will return.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    If you're feeling great stick with it. No need to fix what isn't broken and all that. I'm somewhere around 300 pounds averaging 1200 calories a day and rarely hungry, never weak. When I proposed my diet ideas to a doctor he just made me promise to eat if I felt weak. In three months that has happened one time. I had a 700 calorie breakfast (literally breaking a fast) today and wish I didn't. I'm sluggish from it.

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    If you eat less calories your body will slow it's metabolism down to compensate for the deficit. (Eat less= less energy). Simple rule: eat when hungry (primal foods). Stop when satisfied. The human thirst and hunger mechanisms are very precise. (except when you eat foods we weren't designed to eat).

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedish View Post
    : eat when hungry (primal foods). Stop when satisfied. The human thirst and hunger mechanisms are very precise.
    re-reading her post though, it looks like shes following this rule pretty well already.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    If you feel great then do not pay attention to calories. Some days 1000 will be enough while others 2000 will not be enough. It all depends on your activity/stress/other factors. Do what feels best to you. If you are hungry then eat. If you are not, then don't. Its simple but most don't understand this.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Thanks Guys! You all have been very helpful and I appreciate the quick replies. I am a Certified Health Coach and full-time student working on my Masters in Nutrition. I am rather knowledgeable when it comes to most dietary theories but this one is new for me so I just wanted to make sure I was executing it correctly. I have study functional and integrative nutrition and prefer it over "conventional wisdom" any day. I reversed my type II diabetes using The Zone in 2005. I decided to become a health coach in 2008 and was "brainwashed" into thinking I needed to eat more vegetarian fare. I was thrilled to read the de-bunking of The China Study. Dr. Campbell was actually one of my teachers. Like I said "brainwashed"! Anyway, the diabetes didn't return but by adding more whole grains, beans, legumes and lowering protein intake I packed on the pounds. I am a pro when it comes to body awareness and should have known better. That's why I was curious about "too little calories" it has always been a "no-no" in all well most food philosophies/theories. I think I will thrive on the PB and look forward to getting to know you all better.

btw, I couldn't finish my bowl of Butter Silk Chicken with Cauliflower Rice at lunch. No worries! I always tell clients the body will tell you exactly what it needs if you just listen to it. Thanks again for the reassurance and the support!
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    I wonder about this listen to your body thing. I am pretty sure I was undereating significantly when I started the PB- I find my hunger is cut in half if not more when I cut out carbs, to the point that if I am busy/distracted I could go 2 days without getting hungry but if I eat a slice of cake and some pizza at a weekend party I am hungry before lunch (don't do breakfast) the next day. Combine that with beginning to strength train for the first time, and the surprise at how skinny I was under my bit of chub, and I am coming to the conclusion that I need to be eating a lot more to avoid stalling on the weights and to facilitate putting on muscle. I guess it depends on your goals.

My dinner last night was a pound of groundbeef cooked in butter with two onions, various herbs and spices, broth, and a cup of sour cream. I felt neither hungry nor stuffed, but it was good.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @mdlaw, I fasted yesterday until dinner. When I fast I usually fast dinner to dinner that usually works best for me. Then I ate a 14oz beef tenderloin steak and an apple. I was down 2.6 lbs this morning. I read about "steak days" while studying/researching the HCG weight loss protocol. It's very effective and I am currently doing a full day fast followed by a steak dinner once or twice a week and the scale is moving down nicely. Today has been a regular day for me: For breakfast homemade Roasted Veggie & Chicken Sausage Frittata with a cup of homemade strawberry "raw, grass-fed milk" yogurt, 2 tbsp of raw cashew butter (one mid-morning, one mid-afternoon), I made Butter Silk Chicken with cauliflower rice for lunch, and for dinner local fresh baked rainbow trout, collard greens cooked with bacon in bacon fat, and cheesy cauliflower aka "mock mac-n-cheese". It's actually a lot of food and very satisfying.

btw, excess carbs cause your blood glucose levels to spike and then crash. Once they crash... that's it! Hunger starts knocking on the door. That's why limiting the carbs is so effective for reducing hunger. Stats of VLCD have actually shown to have anti-aging effect and be less taxing on the body so I would venture to say lower calories diets are not a problem as long as you are healthy and energized through out your day. Of course this requires that you listen to your body.

Everyone's body is different. You know your body better than anyone else because you live in it 24/7 - 365 days a year. You know it better than anyone one in a forum, even better than your own doctor! So yes, listening to your body and having good body awareness is very important in my opinion and one of the keys to a lifetime of wellness and happiness.
    Last edited by primal-belle; 07-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast