Thread: Putting in "size"....other questions. page

Rock is offline Junior Member

Putting in "size"....other questions.

Primal Fuel
    Been on Primal since February and it has been remarkable. No complaints at all.............except:

I would like to put on some SIZE. I am a 49 year old male, 5'9 162 with 12% body fat. Began Primal at roughly 175 and, maybe 15-17%% body fat. My waist measures 34.5 around and I have a muscular build. I lift heavy and follow most everything about Primal. I eat around 130 grams of protein a day. For most of my adult life I was 185/190 lbs and that wasn't good but at this 162 I'm feeling "small". So questions:

1) How do I put on size but continue to work on leanness and reducing my waist size?
    2) I eat dark chocolate every day. Organic, 85%. Is this the best? Is this OK?
    3) Best online source to buy organic/grass fed meats?
    4) Must-have suppliments you take each day. Top-3?

I really appreciate the help!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    1) eat more protein. I currently eat more protein than you and I am 125 lb female! Fat loss methods include fasting, weekly caloric deficits, both of which work best when combined with re-feeds and periods of time with caloric surplus. Experiment.
    2) how much are you eating daily? the entire bar? one square?
    3) eatwild.com
    4)Vitamin D, Fish oil, Men's multi

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Increase calories 500 per day. Do big lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, press) weekly. At age 49, it will be tough, but still possible to put on muscle.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    Ther's more to it than just hiking protein or having " x " supplements at your age. I would first recommend that you read articles by Dr William Wong and Mike Mahler on hormone optimization for men. Mike even has awesome videos in this regard on youtube. Must watch imo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mahler25

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    It's very unlikely that you'll be able to put on size and lose fat at the same time. You can either do a "bulking" phase followed by a "cutting" phase like bodybuilders do, or simply learn to love and embrace your new, compact frame. I am much more functionally fit at my current weight than I was when I was heavier even though I can't bench or squat as much weight as I used to.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Consider having your testosterone levels tested and treat it if low.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Rock is offline Junior Member
    lmyers04

1/2 a bar. Maybe 175 calories. Is 85% dark better than 70% dark? (I imagine it would be). If so, why?

Nocturnalhorse: I'll check out the video.

Thanks everyone else for the input.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    lmyers04

1/2 a bar. Maybe 175 calories. Is 85% dark better than 70% dark? (I imagine it would be). If so, why?

Nocturnalhorse: I'll check out the video.

Thanks everyone else for the input.
    1/2 a bar everyday isnt exactly optimal for fat loss..... There are sugars in the chocolate, too. If you can do 1/4 a bar every (other?) day that would be better. 85% is better than 70%. The higher %age means less sugar, and less sugar means more fat your body will burn, instead of burning all that pesky sugar.
    p.s. I love chocolate too!