Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relaxation ideas page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Relaxation ideas

Shop Now
    I've had one hell of a week. If you want the details, I'll fill you in or you can read my journal, but suffice it to say, when it rains, it ******* pours.
    It's bad enough I went to the doctor w/ a headache, dizziness, nausea, and some other stuff. Came out the other side with "It's stress. Take off the day or two if you can and try to relax" Lortab, and a muscle relaxer to help force me to relax. Issue is, due to some issues in my past and a couple other things, I internalize EVERYTHING until my body starts breaking down and forcing me to take sick days and sleep/ cry it off. I'm not sure I actually know how to truly relax.
    I guess what I'm asking is, what do you recommend or do yourself after a spectacularly crappy time period to relax and make the stress go away?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Meditation. There are alot of really good meditation CD's out there.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Sorry it's been such a crappy week. I know the feeling. (Not so much this week, but many others in the recent past.)

I try to take an evening off, drink tea with cream, and read a good novel.

A tough heavy-lifting workout helps me burn off "angry-type" stress.

Also, nekkid sunbathing at mid-day (when I can get away!) seems to help.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 07-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Been there and done that. I stopped taking the relaxers b/c it never truly helped or solved the problem. It's nothing more than a quick fix for a few hours here and there. Your mind still races but at a slower pace. I try and spend sometime outdoors hiking, swimming, or whatever. Being outside is my release from the crappy times. Life can become overwhleming if we don't allow ourselves time to relax and enjoy what we have.

Find whatever you love to do and spend a few hours enjoying it. Each person has ot find that one thing they love and use it to get past all those crap times. My boss races go carts that reach 80 mph. My wife reads or plays basketball.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is, what do you recommend or do yourself after a spectacularly crappy time period to relax and make the stress go away?
    I go for long walks. I find it useful to have a personal project around the house to dig into. It used to be restoring a boat. But it could be as simple as mastering Indian cuisine, or lately, educating myself on a topic I have been mostly clueless about, like diet and nutrition. Get into the nerdy stuff that's more challenging.

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    Motorcycle ride. Nothing stresses me out more than "doing nothing" to try and relax, but at speeds on two wheels the mind is very focused.

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Sorry it's been such a crappy week, naiadknight (I did see the crap-storm on your MDA journal -- so sorry for all that you're going through).

Second on the meditation, but for people with busy minds and/ high stress who haven't done it before, sometimes it can wind up being just another frustration. Tea is really helpful, too, especially if you do something to make it special -- i.e. nice china or a special mug. Other stuff that might help:
    - progressive relaxation (lying down; eyes closed; tense toes for a few seconds and let them go; then feet; then calves; etc. working your way up through your whole body -- there should be some detailed protocols on the internet if you google it; autogenic relaxation is similar and can be helpful to release the pent up emotion)
    - deep breathing - try to have the exhales twice as long as the inhales
    - walk in a green space (and if no gree space is available, a walk in as quiet a space as you can find)
    - journalling (pen and paper kind, I think there's something a little more therapeutic about the tactile-ness of writing, watching the letters/word form)
    - sad movie -- yup, a tear jerker (though it can be a happy tear jerker) -- I find this helps release pent up emotions
    - music
    - slow yoga
    - screaming into a pillow

Everyone has different stuff that works, and different stuff works at different times.

Good luck, and I hope things turn around for you very soon.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I'm feeling particularly stressed or agitated, I find that the process of cooking and savoring a grass-fed steak is very cathartic. I let myself become immersed in the process.

Spending time with family (playing board games, taking an afternoon road trip, or just hanging out and talking) are also great. Reading for pleasure (not necessarily fiction; I recently read GCBC for pleasure) is also very relaxing.

I think I'm seeing a common thread in most of the responses above and mine as well - do something positive that wholly engages your mind and emotions. Dwelling on negativity is destructive to both physical and emotional health.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgmikeb View Post
    Motorcycle ride. Nothing stresses me out more than "doing nothing" to try and relax, but at speeds on two wheels the mind is very focused.
    How could I have forgotten that? When I'm feeling down, or physically unwell, getting on my motorcycle makes me feel like "me" again.
    Last edited by prib81; 07-27-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Motorcycle comment

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    walking in the nature preserve
    guided/progressive relaxation
    cognitive behavioral strategies (ie changing thinking changes feelings) - this is huge
    boatloads of magnesium
    boatloads of inositol
    extra b complex
    extra potassium (ie juicing some non-starchy veggies, eating extra veggies)

do something positive that wholly engages your mind and emotions. Dwelling on negativity is destructive to both physical and emotional health.
    +1

Whatever it takes to get out of my own brain.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    What I'm dying for that doesn't really exist around here is a forested nature preserve. That requires trees other than mesquite, something West TX is a wee bit shy on. It's one thing I miss dearly about Dallas. I may go to the local university's walking/ riding trail later on, after the muscle relaxer wears off.
    The ideas of meditation brought back an old technique I used during some of my darkest times. It's a remnant left over from when I explored paganism, kind of a ritualistic meditation. I may try that.
    I do relax best when I can get out of my own head, as Kat aptly phrased it, but it's hard to get out of your own head when.... that's an excuse not to relax and to internalize, try again. I may do several Tarot, stone, and water readings in a bit, to help get things out of my head, to help me relax about the future, and to help me shift all this to back burner in mind.
    I may also find my copy of dragonage or Diablo II and play that for a while. Maybe go weed my garden.
    Thanks for the ideas, folks. Please, keep them coming. It's still pouring and whatever the biggest thing is hasn't hit yet, I can feel that much.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast