Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Cake For 1 Yr Old page

Insane Grokess is offline Junior Member

Birthday Cake For 1 Yr Old

I have plenty of months to go but I'm a bit obsessive and will probably need to make it several times. This cake will also be used for my husband's birthday in November. I'm looking for a "cake" recipe for my daughter at her first birthday.

Here are my guidelines: No diary except breast milk or maybe coconut milk (is that safe for a 1yr old?)
    No nuts at ALL (my mother is highly allergic. Waiting until 2 yrs to introduce nuts)
    No grains (obviously )

There really is no food she doesn't like.

Can someone help me out with a recipe? I can modify a recipe if need be but I'm a bit lost. Thank you!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Perspective-switching question: Why is a birthday cake necessary? (Especially for a 1 year old, who won't remember it anyway. Sorry if that sounds witchy -- I'm not much of a kid person! )

How about some other special, but primal, dessert? Fruit with coconut cream/coconut milk ice cream/frozen, blended banana...whatever.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    A 1st birthday cake is absolutely necessary! Every kid deserves to have a picture of them on their first b-day with frosting smeared all over their face and a destroyed cake in front of them. It's probably the only birthday where it's a must have, after that you can do whatever. My girls eating their first b-day cake was absolutely adorable and we have great pics and video. Their 2nd b-day.... They cried at the candles and didn't want to eat....
    Anyway, I have no clue how to make a cake w/ out grains or nuts since almonds are usually the grain free flour of choice. I tried looking up coconut flour cake but whatever I found had almond flour as well. I did find this one although it doesn't look very appealing and you can google recipes for vegan sugar free frosting.
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/flourles...e-banana-cake/

Good luck, take lots of pictures!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    You might try the tropical traditions website, under gluten free. If you have not been giving coconut products to the family, I would try small servings before the big day to get them used to it as some people have stomach reactions when they eat too much, although it tends not to be a particularly allergenic food. I have made some coconut flour things using coconut milk, lots of eggs and butter, but no nuts.

syzchan is offline Member
    I saw this in another thread and recorded it down to make in the near future:

Valentino Flourless Cake
    * 16 ounces (1 pound) (454 grams) of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
    * cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (146 grams total) of unsalted butter
    * 5 large eggs separated

Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often. While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling. Butter your pan and line with a parchment circle then butter the parchment*. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls. Whip the egg whites in a medium/large grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over-whip or the cake will be dry).With the same beater beat the egg yolks together. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter.

Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375F/190C Bake for 25 minutes until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C. Note – If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes then unmold. From what I can tell reading up on it online, 8" or 9" spring form pan (works best)

R.F. is offline Junior Member
    how about a sweet fritata, (sort of spanish omelette)

a savoury one, is normally stirfried ingredients (veg and meat) these are left to cool a little then mixed with eggs (and sometimes cheese) and then put back into the frying pan and cooked pretty hot, before being finished under a grill. it can be served hot or cold and is good for picnics/packed lunches. when cooked its about an 1" deep.

theoretically you could substitute the savoury ingredients for banana and/or other fruit, and flavour the egg with cinnamon and honey, and maybe frost the top with peaches cooked to disintegration in coconut milk and then chilled until thick.

this has a lot of conjecture tbh, Id definitely have a trial run. the cooking aspect would definitely have to be modified, because its designed to give it a savoury crust on the outside, so maybe, 1/2 the mixture and make 2 and but some filling through the middle? or perhaps try baking it. Or with a bit of care you could probably remove the crust.

R.F.
    Last edited by R.F.; 07-27-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: after thoughts

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grokess View Post
    Here are my guidelines: No diary except breast milk or maybe coconut milk (is that safe for a 1yr old?)
    No nuts at ALL (my mother is highly allergic. Waiting until 2 yrs to introduce nuts)
    No grains (obviously )
    It doesn't really leave much. I guess that's best, since in an ancestral community a child wouldn't really get anything besides breast milk until given a little pre-chewed meat at what would seem a fairly advanced age to most modern mothers.

It does make making a cake difficult, though. I guess you need something to give it a bit of substance, and since flour or something like ground almonds won't do. ... Maybe arrowroot would be OK. It's made from the root of a plant and was regarded as innocuous enough to have been invalid-food at one time. It'd be interesting to see what Nourishing Traditions says about it, but I haven't got my copy around.

I tried googling "arrowroot cake" and came up with this:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeli...root-cake.html

Maybe something like that would give you something sufficiently cake-like to be able to get a candle in for the birthday photo-call!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    The Valentino flourless cake sounds yummy, but she said no dairy.

Maybe a stack of coconut pancakes (mostly egg and coconut flour) "frosted" with coconut cream whipped with cocoa powder??

Or an "ice cream cake" made from blended coconut milk, banana, and berries, poured into a mold, and frozen?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk is probably safe for the baby. HOWEVER, I would probably let her test it out BEFORE the big day. It would just really suck to use it in her cake, have a reaction and end in ER, or just a crying sick baby... Good luck!

syzchan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry, always forget about butter!

How about this coconut bread recipe?

* 3/4 cup coconut flour, 2 3/4 ounces or 80 grams
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 6 eggs
    * 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, 4 ounces (Author used Palm Oil)
    * 2 tablespoons granular Sweetener, honey, or other*

Sift the first 3 ingredients into a small bowl; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients well. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth with no lumps. It will look a bit like cornbread batter. Spread in a greased 8x4" loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.

Then what I would do is make 1 or 2 horizontal slices to give you 2 or 3 layers and put something in between the layers, e.g. coconut whipping cream and berries, dairy-free chocolate ganache, caramelized bananas, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast