Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Fat Loss page

beamteam is offline Junior Member

Body Fat Loss

Primal Fuel
    What is the optimal caloric intake to reduce body fat, but not body weight! I'd actually like to possibly put a few pounds on, but definitely want to reduce body fat! Also, I was reading that people have found eating more carbs causing a reduction in body fat is that true? And finally, is it true that any more than 40 grams of protein in one sitting will not be processed and instead stored as fat? If so, I might eat more than my 1 meal a day?

I am usually pretty active but after recent surgery can only walk and do some body weight stuff. If I haven't given enough details about my specific situation please let me know and I can add more, I need your help! Also, my last 3 days of working out and eating are posted in my Journal named "Tim's Journal"- if that helps add some color.

Thanks!

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    I struggle with this as well. I don't need to lose any weight, but I can't get any fat to budge from my thighs!

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I stopped counting calories when I turned primal. I sometimes eat 1200 calories one day when im not hungry and then the next day upwards of 3000. Just depends on how I feel. I say eat till you are satisfied and then stop. Dont worry about numbers, just eat good food. Your body will know what to do. Ive lost 12 lbs this way. Not sure about the protein thing...i think that sounds like bro-science though.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    protein is converted into fat very rarely. I eat 40+ grams in one sitting every day.

you need to experiment with your calories yourself to determine at what values you lose. There is no right or wrong value, you just have to experiment.

Yea i don't generally count calories I just noticed since going primal that my weight has dropped or stayed the same and my body fat is rising (completely visual, i didn't actually test it). I wasn't too high BF and weight wise to begin with but I'm moving further away (seemingly) from my desired look and I wondered if I was doing something wrong. I eat fruit sparingly, a lot of meat, and a good amount of vegetables. I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough calories or enough carbs? It all just seems confusing to me and I hoped someone might have some insight.

Spun is offline Member
    Hi there,

Are you sure your body fat is rising? For me ( and most males) belly fat comes off last. If you trim fat off arms, legs, neck, chest etc. first, I have found that it can cause the torso to look bigger and out of proportion to the limbs.

If you are eating well, excersing and have no reason to believe you are losing lean mass, go by the scale. Increases in lean mass would obviously make your weight go up, but they usually noticeable and not unwelcome.

I have been on this for about 5 months and LOVE the result. At the end of the day, if you are happy, and healthy, the hot body will follow.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    if your weight is going down and your body fat seems to be going up, it's probably worth it to test and track it for a little while, if you're concerned. the change in diet may have just caused some momentary smoothing. i don't track calories now, but i was when i started going primal. the amount of calories didn't change much, but the make up did, and now i've noticed a big drop in body fat. stick with it for a while and i'm sure you'll see similar results.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    If you are serious about losing fat you have to do some math and tracking. Start with determining your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) with this on-line calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ adjust your base rate for your activity level with Harris Benedict Equation. This will tell you what your daily caloric level should be to maintain your weight.

Next you need to determine your protein needs (0.7 -1g per lbs of lean body mass). The higher protein level maintains muscle better.

Cut your carbs to less than or equal to 50 grams/day.

Take the balance of your calories as healthy fats.

Lift heavy things to build muscle mass, move slowly every day and sprint once every 7-10days

...lather and repeat

There are several threads on carb re-fees, which are said to aid in stripping body fat quickly and maintain energy. You might want to check them out.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1907 View Post
    If you are serious about losing fat you have to do some math and tracking. Start with determining your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) with this on-line calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ adjust your base rate for your activity level with Harris Benedict Equation. This will tell you what your daily caloric level should be to maintain your weight.

Next you need to determine your protein needs (0.7 -1g per lbs of lean body mass). The higher protein level maintains muscle better.

Cut your carbs to less than or equal to 50 grams/day.

Take the balance of your calories as healthy fats.

Lift heavy things to build muscle mass, move slowly every day and sprint once every 7-10days

...lather and repeat

There are several threads on carb re-fees, which are said to aid in stripping body fat quickly and maintain energy. You might want to check them out.
    this this this. all of it.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

I've been keeping carbs below 50 for about 2 weeks I'd say. what percentage of my diet should I aim to be fat, 50-60?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast