Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much FAT is too much fat page

Odar is offline Senior Member

How much FAT is too much fat

Shop Now
    I think I am eating too much on PB

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    You'd have to write down what you're eating, in what quantities, etc., for us to have any possible way of saying yes/no.

That said, I'm assuming you're new to the "primal" way of doing things. In which case, you're a recovering CW-ite. Conventional wisdom has shoved it down the public's throat for years that eating fat is bad, regardless of the type of fat (except omega-3 fatty acids, they're allowed by CW). Take some time. Breathe calmly. Read the research.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

jastclark is offline Junior Member
    from my experiences one way to know is if you end up with stratarhea (sp?) basically fatty diahrea otherwise, you should be good to go...

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    about half of your calories should come from fat.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    about half of your calories should come from fat.
    HMM... not for everyone. it depends what works for the person. BIOFEEDBACK. more than half my calories are from fat

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm in and around 45% fat........

Odar is offline Senior Member
    At least more than half of my calories comes from fat. My carb intake I try to limit to 30 gms per day as per Dr Bernstein recommendation as I am type 2 Diabetic. I think the problem maybe then too much calories and probably too much protein! ugh this is so difficult to figure out!

Sherissima is offline Member
    Unfortunately, if you are used to overeating, it's easy to eat a lot of fat on PB, especially if you eat dairy. But whether it's too much depends on where you are. Do you want/need to lose weight, and how much?

I have lost about half of my excess weight on PB, and since then (3 months) have only maintained that loss. I believe it's due to eating too much fat, as my metabolism burns the dietary fat and there's no need for my body reserves to be used up.

I don't think fatty meat, chicken skin, coconut and avocado are problematic. For me, it's butter, cream, cheese, coconut cream... I can easily eat too much of those every day. As in 3-5 Tbs butter, up to 300g cheese, cup of cream - in addition to meat and veggies! Maybe I should try a non-dairy challenge again... However, all of this has not made me put the weight back on. So, if your goal is to maintain your weight and improve your body composition, well, then it is very hard to eat too much fat on PB!

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odar View Post
    At least more than half of my calories comes from fat. My carb intake I try to limit to 30 gms per day as per Dr Bernstein recommendation as I am type 2 Diabetic. I think the problem maybe then too much calories and probably too much protein! ugh this is so difficult to figure out!
    @Odar - you need to provide some details...what are your goals? how much do you consume (calories and grams)? what is the breakdown of fat, protein and carbs ( I know you said 30 grams of carbs)

In general, most people need their lean body mass (in lbs) x 0.7 = grams of protein
    so say you are 200 lbs and 25% body fat, you have 150 lbs lean body mass x 0.7 = 105 grams of protein

the rest of your caloric needs would come from fat. You can figure your BMR (basic calories to maintain your weight) from an on-line calculator and adjust up or down depending on your goals.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Athena is offline Senior Member
    When Im doing keto for weight loss im at about 70% of my calories coming from fat. When im maintaining its about 55-60%. Been going for about 7 months and feel great. I say eat how you feel. If you feel lethargic and you want some, then eat it. If not then dont.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast