Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant: " Made with real sugar" page

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member

Rant: " Made with real sugar"

Shop Now
    I have been hearing this type of rhetoric more and more in advertising. Most recently in a Snapple radio ad. There is a chocolate milk commercial that tells a mother she should be feeding chocolate milk to her child because it contains "just the right amount of sugar". When did sugar become a health food?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    What they mean is no HFCS, which is great. There is a HFCS backlash happening in the US now, "high end" junk food like Snapple is going back to real sugar.

Chocolate milk ads - what do you expect anyhow?

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    Pick your poison. Refined Sugar MAY not be as bad as HFCS, but it still is not healthy.

becalive is offline Junior Member
    I agree! but I am tired of the USA being duped substandard HFCS! no other country in the world allows manufacturers to put it in their food. Sugar may not be good but HFCS makes me so mad !

Insane Grokess is offline Junior Member
    I guess if I HAD to choose between artifical sweeteners and refined sugar then the sugar it would be. I will stick to my honey and agave nectar for now. You can make a delicious chocolate drink with carob powder and agave nectar! Yum!

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grokess View Post
    I guess if I HAD to choose between artifical sweeteners and refined sugar then the sugar it would be. I will stick to my honey and agave nectar for now. You can make a delicious chocolate drink with carob powder and agave nectar! Yum!
    in before poster who says that Agave Nectar has higher fructose levels than HFCS.

For a tasty chocolate drink, I blend almond and/or coconut milk with a 1/2 banana, cocoa powder, whey protein, and ice. Very yummy.

Back to topic, it's pretty sad how the general public will just eat up anything they see on TV. Coke or Pepsi could probably advertise that their drinks were sweetened using corn rather than sugar and people would probably start buying it thinking they're being healthy.

Edit: I guess this has actually been done (how sad):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hfcs
    HFCS advertisements
    In September 2008, the Corn Refiners Association[66] launched a series of United States television advertisements that stated that HFCS "is made from corn", "is natural" (changed from previously-stated "doesn't have artificial ingredients"), "has the same calories as sugar or honey", "is nutritionally the same as sugar", and "is fine in moderation", in the hopes of keeping consumers from avoiding HFCS products. The ads feature actors portraying roles in upbeat domestic situations with sugary foods, with one actor disparaging a food's HFCS content but being unable to explain why, and another actor questioning the comments with these claims. Finally, the ads each make reference to the Corn Refiners Association website.[67]

Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, called the advertisements "deceptive",[68] stating: "High-fructose corn syrup starts out as cornstarch, which is chemically or enzymatically degraded to glucose and some short polymers of glucose. Another enzyme is then used to convert varying fractions of glucose into fructose...High-fructose corn syrup just doesn't exist in nature."[69]

Since HFCS is present in a staggering amount of food in the US, and in most foods marketed to children, there are doubts as to whether it can be consumed in moderation.
    Last edited by fufonzo; 07-27-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Insane Grokess is offline Junior Member
    Thanks fufonzo!

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    fufonzo thanks for putting the blurb about the HFCS ads out there. My wife would just laugh when they came on TV because she knew how bad they got under my skin. One of the better better ads was when the two women were in the kitchen and about to pour their kids some red substance from a gallon jug. One mom refuses it saying she doesn't want her kids to have HFCS, but then the second mom retorts explaining why HFCS is good...as mentioned in the blurb.

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    +1 fufonzo
    i've seen these PSAs for HFCS. ridiculous! in 30 years (hopefully) they will be showing the same commercials, and the next generation will be shocked at what used to be allowed in our country, similar to the old commercials we see now with the flinstones smoking marlboros.
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Better sugar than HFCS.
    Better wheat than sugar. (debatable on your own situation)
    Better sweet potatoes/tubers/rice than wheat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast