Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hormones and Progesterone page

Kenzie is offline Junior Member

Hormones and Progesterone

Primal Fuel
    My saliva test results indicated that during the middle to end of my cycle I do not produce hardly any progesterone. I have recently started applying progesterone cream 2 times daily and wondering if anyone else has any success.
    I am 26 year old female, primal eating for about a year. Zero weight loss. I am thinking it is due to hormonal imbalance. Any comments or advice would be fabulous!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I sure liked progesterone cream about the time of menopause. I think it does a lot of good, used right. I had a very easy time of it, and then tapered off the cream a little.

Any other signs of PCOS? Weight problems? Acne? I had all that.

Keep the timing good, consistent with your cycle. Don't use it steadily all month, it has to ebb and flow. Even after menopause I would do without it five days a month to reset the receptors.

It is possible to get too much.

Have you found some good books or web articles talking about how to manage it?

No PCOS symptoms, just stubborn abdominal fat. I start using my cream on day 10 and continue until my cycle starts. I would appreciate any articles you would reccommend. I feel as though I am too young to be having these menopause symptoms.

I think my entire endocrine system is impaired. I have been on adrenal support for almost 2 years now as well.

When did you start noticing changes after supplementation?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Kenzie

I noticed it immediately -- a big surge of unusual energy. (Usually chronic fatigue was more my style.) It didn't last at that level, but in general I felt better. In fact, it was just after starting progesterone that I got enough energy and courage to shop for a buy a home for the first time in my life.

I have no idea why you'd have adrenal problems and need progesterone so early in life. At least it's there, and easy to get as the cream.

Almost all pollutants are estrogenic.

If I come across anything to read which might help, I'll let you know. There are books, mainly aimed at perimenopausal women. Some seem unnaturally optimistic and ambitious about what progesterone can do, although it is good stuff, for sure.

Primal can solve a lot of problems for people, over time.

Insane Grokess is offline Junior Member
    How do you track your cycles? I know on my cycles, I ovulate late and have a short luteal phase (LP). B6 helped lengthen my LP. I don't know much about progesterone creams but it would help you out to know when your progesterone would increase if it does. I would suspect PCOS as well.

Progesterone doesn't start increasing until after you ovulate so testing in the middle of your cycle might not work. Do you often have spotting? That is also an indication of low progesterone.

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    I would suggest seeing a naturopath -- take your test results and ask for consultation. I went through early menopause and progesterone cream did nothing for me. I had to take oral bio-identical progesterone, which helped a fair bit. With the oral pellets, I felt a difference after only 2 days -- slept better, SO much more energy, and all-around happiness. Although if you are mainly worried about the abdominal padding, I will say it did not hep with that! Hormones are very tricky to balance, and even seeing a naturopath twice a year and testing annually, I still have problems. Have been grain free more than a year, which has also greatly helped my symptoms. However, I eat only whole foods, am very active, and simply cannot lose the tummy. *sigh*

Thank you everyone for all the great info. I have been seeingf a naturopath for about 6 months now. I took the saliva test every other day to track my hormones. After day 10 my porogesterone drops and doesn't come back till after cycle starts. I have no spotting. I have been grain and daily free for a long time as I am a celiac and lactose intolerant.I eat very healthy. I do notice a huge difference in my mood and cravings if I do not use the cream.
    I know that I am on a path towards healing, however, when I hear of all the success people are having shedding weight, I cannot help but feel a tad discouraged.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
    My saliva test results indicated that during the middle to end of my cycle I do not produce hardly any progesterone. I have recently started applying progesterone cream 2 times daily and wondering if anyone else has any success.
    I am 26 year old female, primal eating for about a year. Zero weight loss. I am thinking it is due to hormonal imbalance. Any comments or advice would be fabulous!
    How are you 25(OH)D levels?

I'd also consider some neptune krill oil as it can help boost progesterone levels.

I'm glad you're taking this seriously.....progesterone is a potent pleiotropic neuroprotectant. Your brain needs it at least as much as the rest of you does.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Hey cillkat, sorry I don't know what that is 25(OH)D? Awsome to hear about the oil though I will get onto that.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
    Hey cillkat, sorry I don't know what that is 25(OH)D? Awsome to hear about the oil though I will get onto that.
    Vitamin D levels....or more specifically the storage form of Vitamin D after it hydroxylates in your liver first, then kidneys.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast