Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acid page

Gumdrop is offline Member

Question Acid

Primal Fuel
    Good morning,

Does anyone else suffer constant acid reflux? Does it go, can you stop it? Help, it hurts.

xxxx

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    There was a time in the tail end of my wheat eating days that I began to suffer from a lot of pretty severe reflux.

For some years now, I haven't had even a hint of reflux and my GI tract feels great.

Eliminating all consumption of even the smallest amounts of wheat and gluten was critical to my recovery. And personally, I also eliminated dairy and went to a Paleo type diet.

Even with these dietary changes, I still tended to have some dyspepsia and gastritis. At the time, I was still taking proton pump inhibitors, Nexium or Prilosec, that had been recommended by a gastroenterologist friend. I tried to get off these, but when I would try, my reflux would get even worse.

So I studied the pharmacology involved and learned that when you take proton pump inhibitors (PPI's), your stomach acid level drops down to near nil. But if you have been on PPI's for several months, and you then try to discontinue them, your stomach acid level will rebound to almost twice as high as it was to start with before the PPI's. And even if you stay off PPI's, it can take a couple of months or more for the acid level to drop down to normal. A drug company's dream, very hard to stop.

I found a protocol developed by internist Jacob Teitelbaum that helped tremendously in getting through the rebound phase of PPI withdrawal and that helped me heal from the gluten damage that contributed to my reflux.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Column.aspx?Id=652

The DGL licorice, also known as deglycyrrhizinated licorice, as suggested by Dr. Teitelbaum, was extremely helpful in the process. It comes in lozenges that should be chewed and dissolved in the mouth. It is available from a number of sources. Ordinary licorice that contains glycyrrhizin should not be used in such quantities, because it can promote hypertension and other problems.

Grains and dairy products tend to be acidifying. By way of preference, I don't use much in the way of hot spices, so I can't speak to the effect of those at this point. When I'd worked through Teitelbaum's protocol for a few months, every trace of GI discomfort disappeared, and it has not recurred. I wish I could promise that it would work as well in someone else, but I don't know.

Probiotics were also useful in the process.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 07-26-2010 at 06:55 PM.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i was developing something along the lines of reflux right before starting pb. it has disappeared completely. my suspicions tell me gluten was to blame. low carb diets have been shown to reduce dare i say 'cure' acid reflux. keep on your primal journey and keep carbs low. don't use your cheats up on gluten though!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i know some of the other members don't agree w me when i say this but oh well: keep your fruit (anything sweet) down!!!! stick w berries and only eat a serving a day. try this and if it works you might be dealing w candida (fungal infections). definitely get rid of the grains if you're still eating them. good luck;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Gumdrop is offline Member
    Thank you Shannon, I have been suspecting candida for some time as I have been experiencing some strange and powerful cravings.

xxxx

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Mine completely went away when I went PB. It's only when I cave and have something with wheat/gluten in it, that I have a wicked bout.

Only in recent years have physicians realized that a significant portion of reflux patients have a newly recognized medical problem, eosinophilic esophagitis. One of my older medical handbooks (Langes CMDT 2002) doesn't even have it in the index, yet now it is increasingly suspected and diagnosed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eosinophilic_esophagitis

EE is especially common in reflux patients who are not helped much by conventional therapies. Causes include, yes, wheat, and also cow's milk and soy.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I thought this thread would be about LSD.

/slump and slink
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    LOL... Stabby!

Mine went away when I cut sugar, simple carbs and grains. In fact, within a few hours of eating too much of the wrong thing... say a pc. of cake... I'm doomed!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tens of millions of Americans suffer from reflux, GERD. Some PPI such the "The Purple Pill" will be prescribed for almost all of them if they visit a doctor. Yet how many are just reacting to wheat gluten or other non-primal foods? Has to be a huge number. And once you are on PPI's for a while, very hard to come off due to acid rebound. A drug company's dream is a drug that you have to take every day for the rest of your life. We know what drug company stock to buy, don't we!

And ironically, many of these supposed "acid reflux" sufferers are developing reflux symptoms later in life, when their stomach hydrochloric acid levels are in natural decline due to aging anyway. Which suggests that stomach acid levels are not the root of the problem in many cases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast