Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is protein bread permitted on PB page

Primal_One is offline Junior Member

Is protein bread permitted on PB

Shop Now
    I have stumbled on a carb free high protein bread and was wondering if its okay to eat on the PB. What I like is the protein content and fiber. Theoretically, it only has 1 gram of carb. I have read excerpts of PB and know that grains are a no no, but if a bread has virtually no carbs is it permissible?

I attached a picture of the nutrition facts on the bread. Let me know if its permissible. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Primal_One; 07-26-2010 at 03:23 PM.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a frankenfood. Just eat real food.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    The attachment didn't work for me (it's pending approval?)

BUT, if it contains grains, it is not pb approved. If it contains legumes, it is not primal. If it contains a bunch of hard to pronounce ingredients that don't grow out of the ground or can be cut off of an animal, then it's probably not primal.

It's up to you what you include in your 20%. But I agree w/ say_rahhh about eating real food. If it is not a real food or can't be made from a real food into what it is in your kitchen, it is probably not primal IMO. (And for me, that goes for protein shakes and the like as well--I don't consider them 'real food' personally although many here might--we each need to decide what works/doesn't work for us...)

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Still pending approval...I can't wait to see what the ingredients are.

selfmyth is offline Junior Member
    Just a side note, if you're starting to eat more low carb/paleo the appeal of these type of substitute foods will go down with time. When I first read about lower carb diets, Atkins at first, I used to pick up a loaf of "low carb bread" a couple times a month. My cravings stayed pretty high for all bread when eating even the low carb versions, so it really wasn't an optimal food for me. Letting go of food dogma - the idea that lunch means this, dinner means that mentality let me drop the crutch all together.

My advice would be to not go crazy on this stuff and ultimately try to go without. Integrate more vegetables in meals to take the place of bread, even moderate starchy potato, yam, squash is a way better alternative than bread, higher carb or not.

I actually made some flax bread the other day for the first time. It was alright, not exactly a crusty baguette, but nutritionally I don't think flax meal is horrible here and there, and the recipe is pretty straight forward. I used a little less oil and eggs, dropped the sweetener. Maybe give it a try if you want a small piece of bread-like food once in a while (seems to freeze well): http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/bre...axbasicfoc.htm

Primal_One is offline Junior Member
    Now that the ingredients have been posted. Thoughts anyone? Thanks

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    The only things in there that are primal are the eggs, the sesame, and the sea salt (possibly the soy, but not in my version). I'd say not just no, but run away from this object.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    insert into trashcan.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    net carbs is "funny" math, they "off-set" the carbs with fibre. the bread has 13 grams of carbs per slice

whole grains - not for me.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I'm not into the "permitted" and "allowed" and "approved" idea, personally.

I buy Ezekiel bread sometimes and it mostly gets freezer burn, but every couple of weeks when I really miss having a bread-like vehicle for some other good food, I have a slice. I'd buy something like this for the same purpose, and I'm sure it would mostly be freezer-burned too, as this stuff isn't really all that tasty or tempting to me.

But I also don't feel guilty for the couple of times in the last 6 or 8 months that I've been out with friends and there was a terrific fresh sourdough slice available, or the fresh yeasty homemade dinner roll. Permitted, allowed, approved, thankyouverymuch.

But my weight loss is stalled. So do what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast